Chiefs00 Briefs - Temple Edition | The Boneyard

Chiefs00 Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

It’s amazing what happens when the ball doesn’t stick. All the starting lineup scored between 5-8 points the first half.
Chief has been talking up Gaffney, even though he was injured most of pre season. Today you see why. He plays with poise and guys know they will get the ball if they work hard to get open in scoring position.
We played with 7 guys today and we had plenty of depth. Because every guy was into the game. Geno ball?
Last Sunday, Chief posted the broom was out, some understood what Chief meant, others didn’t. Now you all do.
Chief loves this team and the legend and history, which is UConn basketball. I have put my money where my mouth is the last 30 years. Now it’s time for everyone to put their butts in the seats. No exceptions! Cheer on the guys as Chief heads to NYC and Jersey February 7th to make next year great.
My one criticism tonight is that when you are up by 20+, with 7 minutes left you have to work the shot clock. But, hey that’s a nice problem to have.

Its nice shooting 90% from the foul line with over 20 foul shoots and having a point guard having a 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. These are winning statistics. We can shoot better from the field - more to come in building this team for 2021.
A legendary coach once told Chief the ball travels faster in the air than it can in the dribble - tonight was proof of that .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gaff played well, but he needs to prove to me he can break down a good defender before I throw him starter minutes. His tendency to turn his back to the defender shows weakness/lack of confidence
Starter minutes this year, I'm all in. Over Cole, gonna need to see more

Reaction Score
Easy Chief, it was Temple at home. Gaff was very composed. Good game for him to get the keys. They all played well across the board. We certainly needed a confidence booster. Did a good job cutting down the fouls as well. They need to dream about the Tulsa tape for Memphis on the road.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Its nice shooting 90% from the foul line with over 20 foul shoots and having a point guard having a 5 to 1 assist to turnover range. These are winning statistics. We can shoot better from the field
Mildly disappointed that Gaffney didn't close with a basket, so that all 7 were in double figures. And wanted to run them out of the building too.

Oh yeah, interesting to note Gaffney dribbling with his arm extended to keep the defender off of him, like others have been doing toward us lately. Maturing.

Reaction Score
gaffney definitely gets rid of the ball quickly. Not just that he doesnt hold it forever, but also just when we run sets. I noticed a number of times he quickly hit vital, adams, and bouk coming off screens. Then they can either take an open shot or catch and go by their man to the hoop because the man isnt set. Gilbert tended to always wait second too long to pass it on those curl and backdoor screens.

Reaction Score
Temple stinks and there will be plenty more pain but as you said the ball didn't stick. Everyone was involved and looking for each other, not standing around watching. Our freshmen are way more talented than everyone else. We need more for next year but things will look a lot different, IMO.

Reaction Score
Gaff played well, but he needs to prove to me he can break down a good defender before I throw him starter minutes. His tendency to turn his back to the defender shows weakness/lack of confidence

Yep he was fine. Made the plays he should didn’t force much. Not sure what he shot but running the O was fine. Temple was awful what a weird team.

Nice win. Who the heck can argue with a W right now? Maybe a few less 3s but nice game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One of the most important wins in a long time. After a series of close losses against good teams the Huskies find themselves down two key players. They responded and blew out Temple. Thus begins the new era of UConn as a winning program.

Some call outs. Bouk was aggressive and easily the best player on either team. Once he gets a bit stronger he will be unstoppable. Akok showed more aggression and offense and flashed a fantastic first step blow by move even though he missed. If he can do that, whoa. Gaff was solid as I figured he would be. He’s a more cerebral PG. I don’t care about him breaking down his man because that’s yesterday’s basketball. Move the ball, see the court. That he can do. Josh showed some last year Josh and that’s a needed change. Vital was the good vital. Mostly. It’s never all the time. Adams showed some ball handling everyone has been saying he doesn’t have. Whaley showed just how mobile and agile he can be on defense. So much better as a 4 on D rather than trying to handle big guys down low. He recovers quickly.

It’s a big step forward. On to Memphis. One game at a time.

Reaction Score
It's great that the thousand game losing streak is over (that's what it felt like). But Temple is offensively challenged and this was a game for last place in the AAC. The Huskies played really well. Nice to see. But by itself, it doesn't mean much.

The player that is growing before our eyes is not Gaffney ( he had a nice game) it's Akok.

C

Chief00

It's great that the thousand game losing streak is over (that's what it felt like). But Temple is offensively challenged and this was a game for last place in the AAC. The Huskies played really well. Nice to see. But by itself, it doesn't mean much.

The player that is growing before our eyes is not Gaffney ( he had a nice game) it's Akok.
Chief loves Akok. As I have said, he’s a serious dude.

C

Chief00

A
One of the most important wins in a long time. After a series of close losses against good teams the Huskies find themselves down two key players. They responded and blew out Temple. Thus begins the new era of UConn as a winning program.

Some call outs. Bouk was aggressive and easily the best player on either team. Once he gets a bit stronger he will be unstoppable. Akok showed more aggression and offense and flashed a fantastic first step blow by move even though he missed. If he can do that, whoa. Gaff was solid as I figured he would be. He’s a more cerebral PG. I don’t care about him breaking down his man because that’s yesterday’s basketball. Move the ball, see the court. That he can do. Josh showed some last year Josh and that’s a needed change. Vital was the good vital. Mostly. It’s never all the time. Adams showed some ball handling everyone has been saying he doesn’t have. Whaley showed just how mobile and agile he can be on defense. So much better as a 4 on D rather than trying to handle big guys down low. He recovers quickly.

It’s a big step forward. On to Memphis. One game at a time.
As usual, you get it. We have a lot of work to do but this game will be remembered as the pivot to a better future. Chief loves winning by playing the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Temple stinks and there will be plenty more pain but as you said the ball didn't stick. Everyone was involved and looking for each other, not standing around watching. Our freshmen are way more talented than everyone else. We need more for next year but things will look a lot different, IMO.
We are NOT nexting any *MxFers recruits. That’s not the Hurley way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom