Chiefs00 Briefs - Cincy Edition | The Boneyard

Chiefs00 Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

The three point shot is the momentum play in today’s game. Adams hitting two in a row shows what it can do for us if we improve in that area. Adams continued to play well throughout the game.

While the rebounding was fairly even it seemed we gave up too many key offensive rebounds and there is a lack of boxing out. Part of this deficiency may be started by doubling guys who don’t need to be doubled leaving another opponent open on the boards.

Chief thought Vital had a good game knocking down shots and providing energy for the team.

It’s pretty clear that when Gilbert is in the game he is being used off the ball. Over-all turnovers were lower today than during many key games.

Many guys are turning down open shots to only get a much worse shot very late in the shot clock. We need players shooting with more confidence and that comes with individual shooting practice and success.

We did a very good job on Cumberland switching guys on him and keeping his timing off.

Chief won’t miss the AAC officials.

Bouknight continues to show previews of who he can be on a consistent basis. Just keep giving him lots of playing time. He’s legitimately scary how he can break defenders down off the dribble.

Sid didn’t get many minutes as Adams got minutes.

Our inept interior defense is making a star out of Vogt leaving him open for easy roll to the basket dunks.

With Adams, Vital and Bouknight playing together we actually have some respect on the 3 line. But, 61% foul shooting killed us late in the game but then Bouknight closed out with two big ones.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm still not crazy about our offensive sets, but having Bouknight step up bails out a lot of stagnation. But I will give Hurley credit for getting them to play much better team ball on both ends, better rebounding, and tougher D with fewer fouls.

In this league our schedule looks good. That next road win at SMU would be huge. NCAAT or not, now I just want wins and good basketball.

Reaction Score
The three point shot is the momentum play in today’s game. Adams hitting two in a row shows what it can do for us if we improve in that area. Adams continued to play well throughout the game.

While the rebounding was fairly even it seemed we gave up too many key offensive rebounds and there is a lack of boxing out. Part of this deficiency may be started by doubling guys who don’t need to be doubled leaving another opponent open on the boards.

Chief thought Vital had a good game knocking down shots and providing energy for the team.

It’s pretty clear that when Gilbert is in the game he is being used off the ball. Over-all turnovers were lower today than during many key games.

Many guys are turning down open shots to only get a much worse shot very late in the shot clock. We need players shooting with more confidence and that comes with individual shooting practice and success.

We did a very good job on Cumberland switching guys on him and keeping his timing off.

Bouknight continues to show previews of who he can be on a consistent basis. Just keep giving him lots of playing time. He’s legitimately scary how he can break defenders down off the dribble.

Our inept interior defense is making a star out of Vogt leaving him open for easy roll to the basket dunks.

With Adams, Vital and Bouknight playing together we actually have some respect on the 3 line. But, 61% foul shooting killed us late in the game but then Bouknight closed out with two big ones.
Star out of Vogt? They held him under season averages for points and rebounds.

Scott maybe. Not Vogt. If not for acc officials he would have fouled out in regulation

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Great win. Finally were tough enough to beat this team and win a close game. Certainly critical that the 3s went in.

Bolded above is the key. Forget the shot clock. Take the first good look we get. Play fast. Play faster. We shoot so much better early in the shot clock and off transition. We run horrible half court offense once we let the defense set. We need to shoot before they are set.

The team is turning a corner. Need to get more offense out of Akok but he was a rebounding machine today. Need to get from him what Cinci gets from Scott. Gaffney took a step back and looked intimidated out there. Bouknight was again the most talented guy on the floor. His blow by change of speed was unstoppable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If someone told me Sid essentially couldn’t play, Akok is still mired in a horrible freshman slump on both ends of the floor and Josh once again suited up for the opposing team there is no way I’d predict a win.

Hopefully the team builds on this and gains some confidence because the really poor foul shooting at the end of regulation is all about fear of failure.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Unless you're this mojo carrying man, I don't want to hear any more of your pseudo insider info.

1581278143931.png

Reaction Score
I'm still not crazy about our offensive sets, but having Bouknight step up bails out a lot of stagnation. But I will give Hurley credit for getting them to play much better team ball on both ends, better rebounding, and tougher D with fewer fouls.

In this league our schedule looks good. That next road win at SMU would be huge. NCAAT or not, now I just want wins and good basketball.
We didn’t have either Gaffney or Gilbert running point the last 5+ minutes of regulation or in OT.
There we’re a few possessions under the 5 minute mark that weren’t run well which could have turned the game against us. But the defense came through as did Bouk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Part of running good offensive sets is running it from/through a quality PG. And with a mostly unready frosh and a limited Sr, we don't have that this year, so it's looked ugly as hell.

I feel like people really underplay the impact of PG play on our whole team. A significant amount of this is not on the coach.

Reaction Score
If someone told me Sid essentially couldn’t play, Akok is still mired in a horrible freshman slump on both ends of the floor and Josh once again suited up for the opposing team there is no way I’d predict a win.

Hopefully the team builds on this and gains some confidence because the really poor foul shooting at the end of regulation is all about fear of failure.
Akok only took 4 shots making 2 and had 6 rebounds and a couple blocks. Josh had 10 boards and a couple blocks. Both contributed to the win.

C

Chief00

Star out of Vogt? They held him under season averages for points and rebounds.

Scott maybe. Not Vogt. If not for acc officials he would have fouled out in regulation
Well, most his shots were uncontested dunks in the half court.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are still a little slow to make plays, be that catching and shooting, or seeing the next pass. There were a few times Bouk and others had time to shoot but didn't catch it clean or were waiting to get the ball before deciding what to do with it. Everyone was guilty at some point, Bouk stands out because you'd think he'd naturally figure it out. Chalk it up to a freshman adjusting. The offense goes up another level if they can correct it without rushing shots, which would be worse.

C

Chief00

We are still a little slow to make plays, be that catching and shooting, or seeing the next pass. There were a few times Bouk and others had time to shoot but didn't catch it clean or were waiting to get the ball before deciding what to do with it. Everyone was guilty at some point, Bouk stands out because you'd think he'd naturally figure it out. Chalk it up to a freshman adjusting. The offense goes up another level if they can correct it without rushing shots, which would be worse.
Part of a good pass is delivering it to a guy in an instant triple threat position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
What impressed me most about James Bouknight today was how he started off poorly and fought through it to become the man when we needed him at crunch time. THAT is a freshman stepping up. It's a joy to see his talent in a UConn uniform. There are times where you just know he is the most talented guy on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom