Chief's Briefs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With our marquee home OOC game being Auburn this year (unless your counting Cuse at the Garden) folks will begin to notice a decline yearly while being in the AAC. It's a shame- but the drought is going to continue. We win a NC this year, maybe that changes for next year, but Auburn on a Friday at 2:30 PM as the marquee OOC game is just.......sad. Pathetic. Just like our conference. And our home schedule this year.

Reaction Score
Again, UConn's fault years ago when they became a brand and pushed the real fans up farther in seating and finally out. The people who threw the most cash took over and just renew every year not caring if they go or don't depending on the opponent and impact of the game. These were also the people who had no idea of what UConn basketball even was until the 90's or so. I went to them all and didn't bitch a bit if it was New Hampshire or Cuse. Go have some fun, watch your favorite team and quit whining for crying out loud - it is what it IS.

We had about 20-25 people from Meriden who all had tix in different areas and all met at JP's (downstairs place gone now) before and after for a few, made the most of every game. I suggest everyone do the same or just stop going they're doing the best they can with the situation.

Reaction Score
Again, UConn's fault years ago when they became a brand and pushed the real fans up farther in seating and finally out. The people who threw the most cash took over and just renew every year not caring if they go or don't depending on the opponent and impact of the game. These were also the people who had no idea of what UConn basketball even was until the 90's or so. I went to them all and didn't bitch a bit if it was New Hampshire or Cuse. Go have some fun, watch your favorite team and quit whining for crying out loud - it is what it IS.

We had about 20-25 people from Meriden who all had tix in different areas and all met at JP's (downstairs place gone now) before and after for a few, made the most of every game. I suggest everyone do the same or just stop going they're doing the best they can with the situation.

Can't believe they'd let fans of only 25 years buy expensive tickets.

Reaction Score
There would have been more students if this game was a Gampel, but not a lot more. Sales of Uconn tickets are just down across the board, not just Football. The old baby boomer fan base is dying moving out of state and we are just not replacing them with Millennials. All games are on TV in on 55 inch 4K tvs and conference and home scheduled sucks Now only a special game will bring out the fans...(Michigan in Football and Syracuse for BB). Other than that, we need to get used to the new norm. They heydays are gone and are not coming back. (Unless we get into a new conference)

Doesn't this kind of contradict the other stuff? I think the attendance is directly attributable to the product on the floor. This is year four in the AAC. The year before that, we were banned from the tournament. Add that to the fact that, despite the national titles, it's been a while since UConn has had a truly aesthetically pleasing team and I think the attendance problems might just be that simple.

I don't agree that only special teams like Syracuse bring out the fans. Put any quality opponent from the old Big East on the floor and it is going to be close to a sell out. Cincinnati is a fringe top 25 team and tickets for that game are going to be fairly tough to get. That would have been the fifth or sixth best home game on the schedule back in the day.

We're not Kentucky or Kansas but the appetite for UConn hoops is still pretty high. Maybe not what it was during the golden age but right on par with what it was in the dying years of the Big East, IMO.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn is a draw to most any program
Its preseason and on a football Sunday (even though the GMen were off!!!!)
UConn may not travel well as before (SMU and Tulsa ain't no hop skip and a jump) but opponents don't mind having them on the schedule at home

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

AHHHHH JPs one of our favorite hangouts - we lived at the bowling machine
Every time I hear Billie Jean or Thriller it takes me to JPs with the St Pauli Girls and stale popcorn from the machine!!
Plus they had decent burgers (I think but that's based on about 6-8 St Paulis)
I think JPs and Honnis Oyster House were only 2 places selling St Pauli in Hartford

Reaction Score
AHHHHH JPs one of our favorite hangouts - we lived at the bowling machine
Every time I hear Billie Jean or Thriller it takes me to JPs with the St Pauli Girls and stale popcorn from the machine!!
Plus they had decent burgers (I think but that's based on about 6-8 St Paulis)
I think JPs and Honnis Oyster House were only 2 places selling St Pauli in Hartford

The bowling machine was great but mostly the "Hot Shot" hoops machine was a must for us to break the records. Even sang : "Love Shack" and BTO's "Takin Care of Business" on a karaoke night there. Always fun times and good memories.

C

Chief00

Alterique being tentative on the loose ball may be more a mental thing rather than lack of competitiveness. If I remember correctly that was how he dislocated his shoulder.
Fair point - I wasn't thinking of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog