Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I agree with most of Fishy's comments in another thread - so I will just focus on a few things:
1) The team and coach played with energy today
2) I would like to see how Hamilton would do down on the low blocks on offense - it would create an interesting mismatch with all his fakes and moves. Plus he can score, unlike the Bigs in Coach Miller's stable. I think Shonn is the best post guy - a slight advantage over Facey because he is a little stronger and more explosive. Yet,when we went to Amida and Shonn we did not convert a lot unless it's a pass off a drive for a dunk - but that's not your post game.
Playing Hamilton at 4 on the low blocks maybe 6-8 minutes a game would be real interesting since he could score lots better than anyone else's plus he's our best rebounder and that would position him better for offensive rebounds - something we seldom get.
3) I generally agreed with Coach Miller's post game radio comments and I like the fact they have started to pull guys if they don't play defense or rebound. I do think Miller overstated how well we rebounded - improvement yes - best of class hardly.
4) Because our half court defense isn't great I like picking up the guards 3/4 or full court. I think we can do that with even more of a commitment than we did today and have guys really taking pride like Boat did on that type of defense. If nothing else it generally gives the other team less time to run their half court offense.
5) Adams is special and he is a competitor - Coach Calhoun would love that side of him as Ollie does.
6) Omar is shooting with confidence from the corner - not yet Ray or even Donyell - but maybe he can give us a couple of corner threes a game

C

Chief00

I was really hoping for some feedback opinions on #2 - posting Hamilton on the low block - oh well!

Reaction Score
I was really hoping for some feedback opinions on #2 - posting Hamilton on the low block - oh well!
I want him on the wing more. Playing more of a Rip/Ray game. You want him on the block more. His skills probably suit your idea more than mine. Seems worth a shot. We have a few lesser teams to experiment against.

Reaction Score
The one thing i want to see less of is Dham trying to beat the whole defense off the dribble from the top. Your idea may do that. I think we did some of what you describe with Caron.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
#2 is worth trying, as are a bunch of other strategies and combinations. This team is still very much in experimental mode, and Ollie is trying to figure out the best formula. Will be interesting to watch.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'm telling you fellas. You're going to want more Chief's Briefs.
How do you know he's not wearing boxers?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The one thing i want to see less of is Dham trying to beat the whole defense off the dribble from the top. Your idea may do that. I think we did some of what you describe with Caron.
Interesting idea for experiment I think. Not sure if he has the muscle mass in the legs but sometimes I think of Roscoe Smith who could rebound and was envisioned by the coaching staff as a 4 but wanted to play the 3. Roscoe was also longer. It's another look and doesn't have to to be all the time as was said. He really needs to keep working on outside shooting since that is something we need and he would need for the next level plus he has many more offensive skills than Roscoe ever had. Not sure if this is just tinkering (if it's not broke don't fix it) but it would certainly be another headache for opponents to have to prepare for if it can be worked in successfully.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Inverting the floor and posting DHam would certainly be a good option against man to man. Also moving get him to the short corner sometimes against zone would also give a productive wrinkle.

Reaction Score
Thing is, with a kid like DHam, we could place him any where and he would be effective. I suppose putting him on the low block might get him a few isolated, good looks but its nothing that Shonn Miller can't handle. I absolutely love DHam at the top of the key. It allows him to see the entire half court, gives him the chance to drive or pull up, opens things up for our wings or a wide open ally oop down low, and makes the entire offensive far more fluid. For some reason, when DHam comes off the wing, he becomes a lot less aggressive and seems to neutralize him a bit, which in turn leads to our other guys just standing around. DHam at the top of the key opens things up for all five players.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is so versatile he can play 1-4. That is what makes him one of the most unique players in college basketball. DHAM is similar to a 6-7 version of Kobi-Jordan Simmons (2016). DHAM is not the quintessential 4 (obviously) because he is not a stalwart defensively (average at best). Hamilton can board but his defensive technique is below average right now (should improve as the season progresses). Hamilton would be all finesse in the block since he has no power game at all. So he would depend exclusively on a quick release. DHAM needs another year to get stronger (IMO). The Adams, Gilbert, Larrier and DHAM 4some would be lethal next year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hamilton is so versatile he can play 1-4. That is what makes him one of the most unique players in college basketball. DHAM is similar to a 6-7 version of Kobi-Jordan Simmons (2016). DHAM is not the quintessential 4 (obviously) because he is not a stalwart defensively (average at best). Hamilton can board but his defensive technique is below average right now (should improve as the season progresses). Hamilton would be all finesse in the block since he has no power game at all. So he would depend exclusively on a quick release. DHAM needs another year to get stronger (IMO). The Adams, Gilbert, Larrier and DHAM 4some would be lethal next year.

Who the duck* is Kobi-Jordan Simmons? :)

Reaction Score
Who the duck* is Kobi-Jordan Simmons? :)

Class of 2016 Ohio State lean the last I checked (from 1 of the crystallized balls). KJS is probably more athletic than Hamilton. I am basing it off video. Their games to me seem to have some nice similarities.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Thing is, with a kid like DHam, we could place him any where and he would be effective. I suppose putting him on the low block might get him a few isolated, good looks but its nothing that Shonn Miller can't handle. I absolutely love DHam at the top of the key. It allows him to see the entire half court, gives him the chance to drive or pull up, opens things up for our wings or a wide open ally oop down low, and makes the entire offensive far more fluid. For some reason, when DHam comes off the wing, he becomes a lot less aggressive and seems to neutralize him a bit, which in turn leads to our other guys just standing around. DHam at the top of the key opens things up for all five players.

This. Just get Hamilton the ball at the top of the key and let him go to work.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, that's what interest me - having a skilled finesse player in the post since we really have no effective power guy there. It might change the foul disparagy we have experienced.
The other thing is he is our best rebounder - so it would give him position to do that.
And he would score the ball.

Reaction Score
From today's courant.............Coach Calhoun:

"I really like Miller because he's a really tough kid," Calhoun said. "He's got to have less lulls in his game, because he's so much better than he realizes, in my opinion. I like when Daniel [Hamilton] is running the team. He didn't have to do it the other day, but that's very valuable to us."

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, that's what interest me - having a skilled finesse player in the post since we really have no effective power guy there. It might change the foul disparagy we have experienced.
The other thing is he is our best rebounder - so it would give him position to do that.
And he would score the ball.
Miller has shown he can score down low.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Looked good against Ohio State. Didn't really step it up against Maryland. Think he's still getting used to the competition, night in night out, and his role w the team. I expect him to come out against the big boys in the future.

C

Chief00

I have not seen him score much posting guys up more dunks on passes after the defense breaks down - which is distinctly different. But we can hope!

Reaction Score
I have not seen him score much posting guys up more dunks on passes after the defense breaks down - which is distinctly different. But we can hope!
Did you miss the drop step poster vs Ohio state on like the first possession? He is a very good post player and in the words of JC he needs to ax the the "lulls" and actually increase his usage ; get up more shots. He often drifts in games probably because he hasn't played at this high of a level (meaningfully). Currently our best scoring option no doubt , would love for him to screen harder and pop for open mid range jumpers. Uconns spacing is fine (purvis and Gibbs are excellent long range guys) but the bigs and hamilton need to screen at a higher level.

Reaction Score

We don't need to hope. On the second play of the Ohio State game, Miller caught an entry pass from Gibbs, made a move and scored. We've seen him do it on several occasions, which is why people have been clamoring for him to get more touches.

But you're the dude who thinks that coed ___ they do at First Night is real basketball so I wouldn't expect you to have picked up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom