Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

What is it about coaches with red pants (Diaco) and red socks (Bigs Coach G. Miller) ? How do we get them? Why do we keep them? It never ends well and we see no progress.

Bigs coach Glen Miller, wearing his red socks, has been coaching our Bigs since George left. If anything, Brimah has regressed since his Freshman year. Who honestly thought 4 years ago - this is all we have with Brimah? Not me. At crunch time the scouting report was clear - he would leave his man to try to block any shot and his man would be open for a layup. There was no rotation to intercept the predictable pass either.

When whatever team we play is physically stronger - it takes us to another problem - that also seems to happen every year - poor rebounding in part due to the other team being stronger. We don't get position for rebounds or posts, we are not strong enough to hold position the few times we get it and when we infrequently get the ball our hand grips are not strong enough not to have the ball taken away. That takes me to another issue I have been posting about for 3 years - our strength and conditioning coaching (Travis). Every year I bring this up, I get criticized for it and it continues the next season.

Also, nobody is rebounding with two hands - these guys are all watching too much one handed Odell Beckham without the talent or desire to pull it off.

We have one Big strong enough to have any potential upside - Enoch. We need to play him 30 minutes a game and develop him. But, how is that going to go - when we have no Big development track record under Coach Miller? He is a decent coach in other areas (tour of facilities, tracking fouls and timeouts) but he is NOT a Bigs coach.

Gilbert - I had been critical of in preseason game one - but he must work really hard and has that fire inside. His on the ball defense was much improved as I hoped it would be. He plays very hard and on his foul shots I observed a genuine effort to put rotation on his shot. His shooting needs a lot of work but I sense he is searching out shots he can make - 12-15 foot pull ups. With his ability to penetrate - he is going to get some real good looks - Unlike our Bigs I sense he will work his way into being a good player.

Adams was ok but he needs to lead this year on the court and work on his shooting 24/7. He doesn't like to lose which I like.

Purvis, who has grown on me, regressed last night. Some plays at crunch time you wouldn't expect from a senior. That dreaded foot on the out of bounds line came back st the worse moment. I thought he had put that habit to bed. He doesn't seem to know his role on this team - he needs to understand his role to play better.

Larrier can play - needs to rebound much better and shoot consistently. He likes to drift too far away from the basket.

Team summary, Can't shoot and can't rebound. We seem to be playing some NBA offense that requires great outside shooting with our bigs standing outside trying to stretch the floor - but they can't shoot consistently and we have no one even in the zip code for a rebound.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I thought Facey would be our best big this season. Last night he proved nothing.

Durham, Enoch and Diarria all have opportunity for minutes this season.
Anyone who gets rebounds deserves minutes - unfortunately that mindset or culture doesn't seem to be here.

Reaction Score
Purvis had zero assists. Did he pass to an open shooter all night (who may have missed)?

Its early but I hope he's not modeling James Harden.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I put this in another thread and I'll repeat it here.

Gilbert is close to being KEA 2.0. Give him the reigns, put Adams at the 2 and Larrier at the 4.

When there are two of Brimah, Facey and Enoch in the game there aren't enough offensive threats to make the opponents work on defense. All UConn opponents know they can give up the 2-3 highlight dunks to Brimah and he won't do anything else to hurt you during the game.

Reaction Score
I put this in another thread and I'll repeat it here.

Gilbert is close to being KEA 2.0. Give him the reigns, put Adams at the 2 and Larrier at the 4.

When there are two of Brimah, Facey and Enoch in the game there aren't enough offensive threats to make the opponents work on defense. All UConn opponents know they can give up the 2-3 highlight dunks to Brimah and he won't do anything else to hurt you during the game.

We really weaken our offense with 2 of those in the game, but we get small and can't rebound. But hey can't rebound with them in either so you are correct. And the KEA reference spot on!

We need a skilled 4/5 really bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We really weaken our offense with 2 of those in the game, but we get small and can't rebound. But hey can't rebound with them in either so you are correct. And the KEA reference spot on!

We need a skilled 4/5 really bad.

If Mamadou shows a desire to put a body and fight, I'd consider putting him at the 5 with Larrier at the 4.

I'm confident that everyone is mostly pissed off about Brimah and Facey going through the motions when the ball goes off the rim. No fight and no disappointment in getting a rebound.

For those of us in our 40's and 50's we grew up watching Unseld, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Charles Oakley, Buck Williams and several others who took it as a personal insult to not get a defensive rebound. They found it insulting. They also knew how much it breaks the back of a defense to get offensive rebounds. These guys? Not so much.

Dare I say they've been getting schlonged for four years now and we as fans are still questioning their pride in their craft.

Reaction Score
Yea, this one hurt really bad. Rebounding is obviously a major problem and something that needs to be fixed asap if this team wants to have any sort of success this year. Students on campus were equally as frustrated last night cause we know that this team is much better than they played.

Rodney and Jalen didn't have good games at all, but I can forgive it just this once cause I know that they both have the ability to turn it around, and I believe they will. I was most impressed with gilbert and vital. Them two, in addition to larrier, seemed to be the only guys playing at a high level last night. I expect them to just keep improving as well.

Overall, I'm disappointed just like all of you are, but lets keep the faith. Hopefully they can use this loss as a spark of motivation to roll over Northeastern @ gampel on monday and gain some real momentum going into maui. They have the rest of the season, and i know theyll make up for it

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
The bigs didn't show up and I have no reason to believe they still all season. Let's see more Enoch, Durham, and Diara, let's look to the future. I've always been a big Amida fan but he hasn't improved and won't, I'm done.

Purvis simply isn't a good basketball player. He should be used as the 2 or 3rd guy off the bench for a few minutes here and there, and when he does a single stupid thing he should be sat down on the bench. He isn't going to get any better, he is and always had been a liability on both sides of the ball.

The whole team needs to learn how to play defense! Way too many open 3s . We are long and athletic but if you have to run half way across the court to get a hand in the shooters face, it doesn't matter.

On the flipside GA looked great with the ball, he really looked like our leader. Also Larrier looked good too. With those 2 and Adam's we have some good offense, but we can't stand around and shoot with them, we need to be attacking and getting the opposing team's big men in foul trouble. Vance needs some burn and vital need to knock down some 3s to open the court up.

KO definitely has some work to do. Some of our upperclassmen really need to see more bench time though and I think KO will have a hard time doing that.

C

Chief00

It was pretty clear throughout the night that UConn's best player was a kid, maybe 6 feet in shoes, playing his first collegiate game.

I agree. My comment on Jalen maybe did give him the benefit of the doubt on offense. Although, I did criticize his shooting and leadership. I did see him go after some 50/50 balls hard - hence my ok . Yes maybe a low bar but I am an optimist by nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When was the last time Kevin Ollie actually outcoached the opposing coach. Kevin Ollie looks lost just like our players. There is no clarity in our offense. Just mass confusion and free styling. Even on defense we looked lost. Guy's weren't communicating at all. No leadership on this team. Only guys that looked like players were alterique and larrier. Why was purvis getting so many min in the 2nd half??? Why was alterique on the bench during a critical part of the game?? KO needs to take a hard look in the mirror. No more dumb quotes and inspirational crap. Start coaching. I want to see sets called on offense. I want the tempo to be pushed. I want to see screens and passes and off the ball movement. No more dribbling and standing around.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Kevin Ollie actually outcoached the opposing coach. Kevin Ollie looks lost just like our players. There is no clarity in our offense. Just mass confusion and free styling. Even on defense we looked lost. Guy's weren't communicating at all. No leadership on this team. Only guys that looked like players were alterique and larrier. Why was purvis getting so many min in the 2nd half??? Why was alterique on the bench during a critical part of the game?? KO needs to take a hard look in the mirror. No more dumb quotes and inspirational crap. Start coaching. I want to see sets called on offense. I want the tempo to be pushed. I want to see screens and passes and off the ball movement. No more dribbling and standing around.

Agree but as far as screens we need too much work and thicker people. They run screens but our bigs don't keep the spot and leave too early all the time. I'd sit them every time they do because it's selfish and hurts the flow. Our guards can and will make plays but it would be great if we'd set real picks and hold them.

C

Chief00

In fairness to Kevin we have a S&C coach who has not built a guy to set screen. True, indirectly KO is responsible.

C

Chief00

The bigs didn't show up and I have no reason to believe they still all season. Let's see more Enoch, Durham, and Diara, let's look to the future. I've always been a big Amida fan but he hasn't improved and won't, I'm done.

Purvis simply isn't a good basketball player. He should be used as the 2 or 3rd guy off the bench for a few minutes here and there, and when he does a single stupid thing he should be sat down on the bench. He isn't going to get any better, he is and always had been a liability on both sides of the ball.

The whole team needs to learn how to play defense! Way too many open 3s . We are long and athletic but if you have to run half way across the court to get a hand in the shooters face, it doesn't matter.

On the flipside GA looked great with the ball, he really looked like our leader. Also Larrier looked good too. With those 2 and Adam's we have some good offense, but we can't stand around and shoot with them, we need to be attacking and getting the opposing team's big men in foul trouble. Vance needs some burn and vital need to knock down some 3s to open the court up.

KO definitely has some work to do. Some of our upperclassmen really need to see more bench time though and I think KO will have a hard time doing that.

Durham has skill but he is a string bean. He really needs to get much stronger as well as built confidence in his knees.

Reaction Score
For those of us in our 40's and 50's we grew up watching Unseld, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Charles Oakley, Buck Williams and several others who took it as a personal insult to not get a defensive rebound. They found it insulting. They also knew how much it breaks the back of a defense to get offensive rebounds. These guys? Not so much.

Dare I say they've been getting schlonged for four years now and we as fans are still questioning their pride in their craft.
Very good point. Buck Williams was a rebounding machine admired for strictly that. No shame he didn't avg 20 points but man could he rebound and made a career doing it. I miss having a rebounder as one of my favorite players, especially on the college level (i.e. UConn).

Tall guys seem to be coming in soft these days (i.e. focused on finesse). Perhaps we need to grab a few big footballers when season ends. At least to practice with the team.

Reaction Score
Facey appeared to improve during the preseason but lets face it: Blame Miller if you want to but Brimah and Facey both lack the ability to rebound consistently and no super big man coach is going to change that. They are what they are and it isn't changing.
Playing Brimah and Facey together is a horrible idea. We would be better off going small than playing these 2 at the same time. Too much offense disappears. Enoch is still a bit slow on defense but he is our best hope. Steve gets lost at times and he is a bit slow on D. His defensive quickness will improve once his knowledge and ability to anticipate improves. I'd like to see KO go with him and live with mistakes.
Wagner was not some Div 2 team so the loss last night is bad but not as bad as some are making it.

Reaction Score
What is it about coaches with red pants (Diaco) and red socks (Bigs Coach G. Miller) ? How do we get them? Why do we keep them? It never ends well and we see no progress.

Bigs coach Glen Miller, wearing his red socks, has been coaching our Bigs since George left. If anything, Brimah has regressed since his Freshman year. Who honestly thought 4 years ago - this is all we have with Brimah? Not me. At crunch time the scouting report was clear - he would leave his man to try to block any shot and his man would be open for a layup. There was no rotation to intercept the predictable pass either.

When whatever team we play is physically stronger - it takes us to another problem - that also seems to happen every year - poor rebounding in part due to the other team being stronger. We don't get position for rebounds or posts, we are not strong enough to hold position the few times we get it and when we infrequently get the ball our hand grips are not strong enough not to have the ball taken away. That takes me to another issue I have been posting about for 3 years - our strength and conditioning coaching (Travis). Every year I bring this up, I get criticized for it and it continues the next season.

Also, nobody is rebounding with two hands - these guys are all watching too much one handed Odell Beckham without the talent or desire to pull it off.

We have one Big strong enough to have any potential upside - Enoch. We need to play him 30 minutes a game and develop him. But, how is that going to go - when we have no Big development track record under Coach Miller? He is a decent coach in other areas (tour of facilities, tracking fouls and timeouts) but he is NOT a Bigs coach.

Gilbert - I had been critical of in preseason game one - but he must work really hard and has that fire inside. His on the ball defense was much improved as I hoped it would be. He plays very hard and on his foul shots I observed a genuine effort to put rotation on his shot. His shooting needs a lot of work but I sense he is searching out shots he can make - 12-15 foot pull ups. With his ability to penetrate - he is going to get some real good looks - Unlike our Bigs I sense he will work his way into being a good player.

Adams was ok but he needs to lead this year on the court and work on his shooting 24/7. He doesn't like to lose which I like.

Purvis, who has grown on me, regressed last night. Some plays at crunch time you wouldn't expect from a senior. That dreaded foot on the out of bounds line came back st the worse moment. I thought he had put that habit to bed. He doesn't seem to know his role on this team - he needs to understand his role to play better.

Larrier can play - needs to rebound much better and shoot consistently. He likes to drift too far away from the basket.

Team summary, Can't shoot and can't rebound. We seem to be playing some NBA offense that requires great outside shooting with our bigs standing outside trying to stretch the floor - but they can't shoot consistently and we have no one even in the zip code for a rebound.

I was at the game last nite and the idea that I would have to defend AB on this board never occurred to me, but then again, this is the boneyard.

There were 4 quality players on the floor for Uconn last nite - Larrier, Gilbert, Vital and Brimah. Everyone else was horrible, with a capital H for both Adams and Purvis + the coaching staff.

In 25 minutes Brimah had 4 points on 2 for 3 shooting, his only low post touch being a nicely executed hook that just missed. He had 5 rebounds and 1 block. While he had trouble with Wagners big guy in the first half he absolutely annihilated him in the second half defensively as well as intimidating the entire Wagner team from even trying to get to the rim. His block in the second half was the emotional high point of the game for Uconn, and if we had any leadership we would have put the game away from that point on. Brimah will never be a big time rebounder, but 5 in 25 isn't terrible and you can't blame him for not scoring more when he only got one touch down low in the whole game. Brimah may not be what you want but he is most certainly not the problem. Purivs/Adams going 6 for 22 and 2 for 8 from 3, with Purvis creating 4 turovers and 0 assists, is the problem. Enoch going 0 for 5 and being lost on defense in 7 horrid minutes of play was not a big help either. He also got 0 defensive boards in that time.

I would also like to point out that I really liked Vital's effort last nite - played hard and with abandon both ways. The kid's got heart, which is something this team needs a lot more of.

Reaction Score
Durham has skill but he is a string bean. He really needs to get much stronger as well as built confidence in his knees.

Agreed, but if he simply knows how to box out he can be a better rebounder today than our other bits. I seem to remember a play where Ag grabbed a board over wagners center simply by blocking out. Strength helps, but it's a mechanics thing too. Get low and use your back side to create space. Amida, just doesn't seem to be able to do it correct. Hopefully Durham can. But I agree he needs to get stronger, not necessarily a lot bigger, and he needs his confidece back.

Reaction Score
If Mamadou shows a desire to put a body and fight, I'd consider putting him at the 5 with Larrier at the 4.

I'm confident that everyone is mostly pissed off about Brimah and Facey going through the motions when the ball goes off the rim. No fight and no disappointment in getting a rebound.

The lack of toughness and pride on the part of our bigs is one of the most infuriating aspects about this team over the last 3 years. That's just not something you can teach.

I can't imagine what a guy like Jeff Adrien would have done to these guys in practice.

Maybe Diarra can restore some of that, though his size and lack of skill will make it difficult to leave him out there for too long at a time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I completely agree with the idea of getting Mamadou in there. I admit I don't know about the rest of his game but we need someone who can rebound with a motor
and that was his calling card when we recruited him. Give him some minutes and if he starts rebounding and defending with some fire keep it going. The sooner the others
realize that that kind of play is going to cost minutes the faster they will (hopefully) wake up. We know that rebounding was emphasized by KO all preseason and there is nothing to lose giving MD a chance. I like the term "high motor". It has a nice ring to it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I was going to say, I'm not there YET but wouldn't be opposed to a AG, JA, TL, Mamadou at 5, and either use Purvis (I'm down on him) or CV, VJ, JD, some 5th offensive threat.

But TL rebounds well enough if the 5 holds up his end. Even Facey could play the 5 with TL or JD at 4 but he's been part of the problem as well ...

Diarra should have been amongst the many guys getting a chance, esp given the rebounding issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom