Chief's Briefs - Signing Day | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs - Signing Day

C

Chief00

And they can go back to college to play their last season if they try out for an NFL team and aren't signed, right?
If they sign a free agent contract - they are a pro and no longer eligible for college

C

Chief00

Why does every thread you are involved in end in personal attacks by you when your arguments invariably blow-up? It's a pattern.

C

Chief00

Seniors also do not have remaining eligibility. The NCAA does not abide by a student athlete's academic "age." An academic senior with eligibility is referred to as a redshirt junior athletically.

Upon graduation, the redshirt junior has 3 choices:
1) forego any remaining eligibility and declare for a professional draft.
2) use the year with his current team.
3) transfer and play immediately for another program.

It's not my rule, but it is the rule.

By the way, if CBS lists any UConn kickoff as 11:11 this year, I'd advise you to check back closer to game day. It's probably only a place marker.

Are they called redshirt juniors if they never redshirted? I think not but it's semantics - they would be eligible for the grad year.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 The only way a senior is automatically eligible for the draft is if they are no longer eligible for college.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The only miss was a running back, but otherwise, this was as good as could be expected with only a month to recruit.

HCRE did say he would like a fifth-year transfer for a wide receiver but he was happy with the class, as I am.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Are they called redshirt juniors if they never redshirted? I think not but it's semantics - they would be eligible for the grad year.
This is not a difficult concept.

Each student athlete gets five academic years in which to exhaust 4 years of NCAA eligibility. A player in their 4th year of NCAA eligibility who does not redshirt is called a true senior. Following a true senior season, they have exhausted their NCAA eligibility. They do not get a "grad year."

Still with me?

Now, should a player graduate academically early (i.e. Emeka Okafor), but still have NCAA eligibility, they have the 3 choices listed above (four actually, but I'll keep it simple, in consideration for my audience.). Regardless, none of them include re-entering college after the draft.

This is the last time I will address this here, however I reserve my right to ridicule, mock, and scorn on each later occasion that I see fit (and make no mistake, I will take full advantage of that right), as should anyone else.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I will keep this high level and relatively brief.
My take:
- We got our starting QB in the JUCO
- Chief is pleased with the size, feet and potential of our OL recruits
- The Univ of SC running back enables us to redshirt other guys. If he is truly 4.3 / that's faster than any running back we have had. That's scary speed if your a DC like Diaco
- Looks like we got some talent and future depth in our defensive backfield
- Added some speed at wide receiver
- Added some return guys - pretty sure we will start returning punts again.
- Signed lots of MD guys - I believe most were Diaco recruits - but Randy kept them - and perhaps that will be another recruiting territory for us.
- I like the depth we added at QB - we will have the guys from MA and FL redshirting most likely - never had that amount of talent redshirting before at QB - if guys don't change position or have to play.
- I am not inferring anything bad about our recruits but getting away from Diaco's culture recruiting is a good thing. We needed to increase speed and athleticism - last year did not pass the eye test on the field; even the casual fan would agree - I think.
- Lots of work to do recruiting DL and LB for 2018. We need to add 6 or 7 guys there.

- Overall Grade - B-

We did well considering the short duration the new staff had to work in. Expecting more next year.

I like it better when you pretend to know basketball better than Calhoun

Reaction Score
Now for a completely serious reply on the topic:

First - whether it was Ryan Steinfeld or whomever. The Signing Day graphics and video is substantially better in 2017.

I give that an A

Second - watching ALL the videos ! Probability I did not last year.

1. The OLine is exciting. Holmes may very well start tomorrow. He's fun to watch. But all the other 3 - Hubbard, VAn Demark, Tunstall - are really great highlight videos. They move. Athletic. As Chief says ... yabba dabba foo with their quick feet.

2. Favorites beyond in the skill competition? Swann: kid has serious ball skills and hunger. Forttt: looks to crunch coming forward. Williams: he definitely is a big addition. Beavers: like his size and the idea of playing him on the outside with versatility.

3. Only one DT. But I like Caleb Thomas.

4. What can you say about those 3 QBs. First you can say don't sleep on Jordan McAfee. He's powerful. Hard to bring down. The other two - WOW. Exciting catch on all 3. Comparatives: Never. Don't say DJ. He's not close to the passer that any of these three are. Way up.

Missed? Yeah. I want a sub 4.5 Trevardo. I want a good groomed RB. And not having any knowledge of Vickers or Hopkins ... who knows.

We will lose a few on the current roster by May. Maybe 5-8. I expect a solid opportunism by HCRE through August.

Grade

On the curve

A C. I'm in the 100-115 range went to 90. With kids that few ever see. That's where Disco was placed.

Upgraded through talent and hustle.

B+

With 360 days - I expect this staff to be the best we ever saw. Not reaching for odds & ends. Competing for real talent.
I agree with your assessment of the OL. Size, speed and a couple of years of the Edsall system may result in a really fearsome unit.

Reaction Score
If they sign a free agent contract - they are a pro and no longer eligible for college

If they hired an agent they are no longer eligible to play in college, regardless of draft status. See Mike Williams of USC circa 2004. Granted this may have changed, but I don't believe it has. He declared for the draft after his sophmore year. He tried to sue to be allowed to get drafted, that failed. His agent made him ineligible for the following year.

C

Chief00

This is not a difficult concept.

Each student athlete gets five academic years in which to exhaust 4 years of NCAA eligibility. A player in their 4th year of NCAA eligibility who does not redshirt is called
If they hired an agent they are no longer eligible to play in college, regardless of draft status. See Mike Williams of USC circa 2004. Granted this may have changed, but I don't believe it has. He declared for the draft after his sophmore year. He tried to sue to be allowed to get drafted, that failed. His agent made him ineligible for the following year.
CONFIRMED: Correct

Reaction Score
a2e2c23b6669a334364c83e892bdc9649deeec1aa530b29ce4b6f73f37539d0d.jpg

C

Chief00

Is this your way of saying "whoops, my bad, you guys were right and I was wrong"?
Don't really know your point - they get 4 years of eligibility in 5 years - for a variety of reasons one may graduate and still have a year of eligibility left and becomes a grad transfer to another school without having to sit out. There also use to be military exemptions where you could play until the mid twenties but I believe that may have been tighten up. You can say that in different ways I guess and how you get to graduate but having just played 3 years is endless - in basketball remember Gibbs transferred from Texas to SH. For Shonn Miller - Ivy League schools don't do grad years, I believe.

My point was that I expect UConn to take advantage of this rule and get another player or two - there are other possible scenarios - coaching changes, etc that might free someone up without having to sit. They will also be working on D1 undergrad transfers but they will have to sit unless an exception applies. I don't claim to be an expert on all these rules.
What does the casual fan need to know? Randy may pick up a couple players between now and when summer camp starts.

Reaction Score
Could have left out Chief used in the third person. Reminds me of "Jimmy" on Seinfeld.

If you don't think this recruiting class gets an A, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Under the circumstances they crushed it.

I don't think the Class gets an A. I think the new staff gets an A for what they accomplished in one month in terms of upgrading the class.

We will see what happens next year in a full cycle.

C

Chief00

I don't think the Class gets an A. I think the new staff gets an A for what they accomplished in one month in terms of upgrading the class.

We will see what happens next year in a full cycle.
Agree they did a great job in a few weeks. Time will tell in terms of value added and when?

Reaction Score
The only miss was a running back, but otherwise, this was as good as could be expected with only a month to recruit.

HCRE did say he would like a fifth-year transfer for a wide receiver but he was happy with the class, as I am.
They got the transfer from South Carolina which sort of fills the gap I think. Plus the 2 red shirts coming up meant that was less of a priority, assuming one or another of those guys has decent talent. I've heard the kid from Texas is the real deal and if there is one thing Edsall always managed to develop it was running backs. We had some studs but we also had some solid guys who performed at a very high level like Brockington, Dre, Allen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
....okay, now I'm going all geek/nerd with..."who is the more foolish, the fool or the one who follows him?" - Obi One Kenobi

Listen Palatine has had it hard enough. No need to invoke Star Wars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom