Chief's Briefs - Signing Day | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs - Signing Day

C

Chief00

I will keep this high level and relatively brief.
My take:
- We got our starting QB in the JUCO
- Chief is pleased with the size, feet and potential of our OL recruits
- The Univ of SC running back enables us to redshirt other guys. If he is truly 4.3 / that's faster than any running back we have had. That's scary speed if your a DC like Diaco
- Looks like we got some talent and future depth in our defensive backfield
- Added some speed at wide receiver
- Added some return guys - pretty sure we will start returning punts again.
- Signed lots of MD guys - I believe most were Diaco recruits - but Randy kept them - and perhaps that will be another recruiting territory for us.
- I like the depth we added at QB - we will have the guys from MA and FL redshirting most likely - never had that amount of talent redshirting before at QB - if guys don't change position or have to play.
- I am not inferring anything bad about our recruits but getting away from Diaco's culture recruiting is a good thing. We needed to increase speed and athleticism - last year did not pass the eye test on the field; even the casual fan would agree - I think.
- Lots of work to do recruiting DL and LB for 2018. We need to add 6 or 7 guys there.

- Overall Grade - B-

We did well considering the short duration the new staff had to work in. Expecting more next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Could have left out Chief used in the third person. Reminds me of "Jimmy" on Seinfeld.

If you don't think this recruiting class gets an A, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Under the circumstances they crushed it.

Reaction Score
If I'm counting correctly, we should have 4 scholarship RB's. Arkeel, Vickers, Hopkins, and Williams. Arkeel is not redshirting and I believe Vickers and Hopkins have already redshirted last season.

Correct I just took the opportunity to once again point out that Chief doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

He's probably wracking his brain right now trying to think of some nonsensical response to my question (see 11:11).

The rest of his comments were more vague than Edsall's tweets as the letters came in this morning.

C

Chief00

Could have left out Chief used in the third person. Reminds me of "Jimmy" on Seinfeld.

If you don't think this recruiting class gets an A, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Under the circumstances they crushed it.

I had thought of adding a degree of difficulty to the grade - and given a A-/B+ but I thought it best to keep it straight, so god willing when I grade next year's class it will be an apples to apples comparison. Sportsart that's why it's probably best to leave this grading stuff up to the experts.

Reaction Score
I had thought of adding a degree of difficulty to the grade - and given a A-/B+ but I thought it best to keep it straight, so god willing when I grade next year's class it will be an apples to apples comparison. Sportsart that's why it's probably best to leave this grading stuff up to the experts.

You do know people think you're a cartoon character right? :rolleyes:

C

Chief00

If I'm counting correctly, we should have 4 scholarship RB's. Arkeel, Vickers, Hopkins, and Williams. Arkeel is not redshirting and I believe Vickers and Hopkins have already redshirted last season.

Good question - Some of the "athletes" we don't really know their position - and some have played running back. If a guy runs back kicks at very least he may be considered as some slot back.

My expectation is that we may also take a grad transfer play maker depending on how the NFL draft plays out. Too early to tell if it's a running back or receiver. A DL/LB possibility may also be on the boards.

Reaction Score
Good question - Some of the "athletes" we don't really know their position - and some have played running back. If a guy runs back kicks at very least he may be considered as some slot back.

My expectation is that we may also take a grad transfer play maker depending on how the NFL draft plays out. Too early to tell if it's a running back or receiver. A DL/LB possibility may also be on the boards.

uh.. what?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Awesome.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Coach me up - how does the draft affect the WR/RB "transfer" market. Are you saying you know about a kid that will transfer if player in front of them doesn't enter the NFL draft this year? Otherwise, I am at a loss for the connection. And you have info on a DL/LB possibility? Well - you keep it interesting around here.

Reaction Score

Peak Chief right here.

Reaction Score
I try to tell people he's a cartoon character. One of Chief's future employees. Has to wait for Chief to be done with his bi.tches

IMG_0178.JPG

Reaction Score
Now for a completely serious reply on the topic:

First - whether it was Ryan Steinfeld or whomever. The Signing Day graphics and video is substantially better in 2017.

I give that an A

Second - watching ALL the videos ! Probability I did not last year.

1. The OLine is exciting. Holmes may very well start tomorrow. He's fun to watch. But all the other 3 - Hubbard, VAn Demark, Tunstall - are really great highlight videos. They move. Athletic. As Chief says ... yabba dabba foo with their quick feet.

2. Favorites beyond in the skill competition? Swann: kid has serious ball skills and hunger. Forttt: looks to crunch coming forward. Williams: he definitely is a big addition. Beavers: like his size and the idea of playing him on the outside with versatility.

3. Only one DT. But I like Caleb Thomas.

4. What can you say about those 3 QBs. First you can say don't sleep on Jordan McAfee. He's powerful. Hard to bring down. The other two - WOW. Exciting catch on all 3. Comparatives: Never. Don't say DJ. He's not close to the passer that any of these three are. Way up.

Missed? Yeah. I want a sub 4.5 Trevardo. I want a good groomed RB. And not having any knowledge of Vickers or Hopkins ... who knows.

We will lose a few on the current roster by May. Maybe 5-8. I expect a solid opportunism by HCRE through August.

Grade

On the curve

A C. I'm in the 100-115 range went to 90. With kids that few ever see. That's where Disco was placed.

Upgraded through talent and hustle.

B+

With 360 days - I expect this staff to be the best we ever saw. Not reaching for odds & ends. Competing for real talent.

C

Chief00

Coach me up - how does the draft affect the WR/RB "transfer" market. Are you saying you know about a kid that will transfer if player in front of them doesn't enter the NFL draft this year? Otherwise, I am at a loss for the connection. And you have info on a DL/LB possibility? Well - you keep it interesting around here.
4th year seniors who don't get drafted - could go for the grad year or tryout as a free agent for an NFL team. Because of abundant red shirting of freshmen in football not as high a percentage have that extra 5th year still available as in basketball. It gets even more complicated with JUCOs and there are other scenarios some of which I don't have a complete understanding of.
Unlike regular transfers, "grad transfer don't have to sit a year. But, bottomline there will be some guys Edsall will try to sell rather than going as a low paid free agent - have him Coach them for a year - then they get drafted - all the guys he got into the league etc. It's not like there is a specific guy they are targeting to my knowledge at this time but they will be monitoring these developments closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Now for a completely serious reply on the topic:

First - whether it was Ryan Steinfeld or whomever. The Signing Day graphics and video is substantially better in 2017.

I give that an A

Second - watching ALL the videos ! Probability I did not last year.

1. The OLine is exciting. Holmes may very well start tomorrow. He's fun to watch. But all the other 3 - Hubbard, VAn Demark, Tunstall - are really great highlight videos. They move. Athletic. As Chief says ... yabba dabba foo with their quick feet.

2. Favorites beyond in the skill competition? Swann: kid has serious ball skills and hunger. Forttt: looks to crunch coming forward. Williams: he definitely is a big addition. Beavers: like his size and the idea of playing him on the outside with versatility.

3. Only one DT. But I like Caleb Thomas.

4. What can you say about those 3 QBs. First you can say don't sleep on Jordan McAfee. He's powerful. Hard to bring down. The other two - WOW. Exciting catch on all 3. Comparatives: Never. Don't say DJ. He's not close to the passer that any of these three are. Way up.

Missed? Yeah. I want a sub 4.5 Trevardo. I want a good groomed RB. And not having any knowledge of Vickers or Hopkins ... who knows.

We will lose a few on the current roster by May. Maybe 5-8. I expect a solid opportunism by HCRE through August.

Grade

On the curve

A C. I'm in the 100-115 range went to 90. With kids that few ever see. That's where Disco was placed.

Upgraded through talent and hustle.

B+

With 360 days - I expect this staff to be the best we ever saw. Not reaching for odds & ends. Competing for real talent.

I agree the graphics and everything were top notched. If they have a "Crush it class" next year - I will have more room to move up from the B- than from the B+ to differentiate it. But, I may have misunderestimated the grade a bit.

Reaction Score
4th year seniors who don't get drafted - could go for the grad year or tryout as a free agent for an NFL team. Because of abundant red shirting of freshmen in football not as high a percentage have that extra 5th year still available as in basketball. It gets even more complicated with JUCOs and there are other scenarios some of which I don't have a complete understanding of.
Unlike regular transfers, "grad transfer don't have to sit a year. But, bottomline there will be some guys Edsall will try to sell rather than going as a low paid free agent - have him Coach them for a year - then they get drafted - all the guys he got into the league etc. It's not like there is a specific guy they are targeting to my knowledge at this time but they will be monitoring these developments closely.

You really are something else.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know the player who we can afford to redshirt is now with David Williams on board.

Ron Johnson

You do know people think you're a cartoon character right? :rolleyes:

He's past that. He has become a caricature of a caricature.

You got one thing right.

Reaction Score

Lol the kids who go to the draft can't come back to college.

Reaction Score

It's not like there is a specific guy they are targeting to my knowledge at this time but they will be monitoring these developments closely.

It's your "expectation" because Randy said they weren't done this year if the opportunity presented itself multiple times today (Press conference, TIC, interviews...).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I operate under the assumption that the student athlete forfeits any remaining eligibility in order to declare for the Draft.

Am I right (Yes. I am.)?

C

Chief00

It's your "expectation" because Randy said they weren't done this year if the opportunity presented itself multiple times today (Press conference, TIC, interviews...).
Unfortunately, I work for a living during the day and I did not see that comment(s) but yes that's consistent with what I have been hearing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom