Chief00’s Briefs - Nova Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief00’s Briefs - Nova Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
A quick start, then 4 dead minutes at the end of the half followed by a good jump out of the gate in the second half. Later Villanova went to a zone and that challenged our weakness - hitting outside shots.

The three themes that killed us were allowing open threes after collapsing the defense, poor outside shooting and offensive turnovers. I thought we rebounded and blocked shots well.

Josh looked more fluid today - perhaps his haircut helped? Gilbert played better but CV took over the turnover machine. First half story was 10 UConn turnovers and 5 assists. Our senior guard Vital had 4 turnovers himself. Villanova was 6 for 11 from the 3 point line while UConn shot 16%. The last 4 minutes of the first half was a black hole.

Bouknight wasn’t strong with the ball. We also missed Akok numerous times when he beat his man down court.

Samuels and Gillespie killed us the second half along with good foul shooting. They are more polish and poised than our players. Turnovers consistently take us out of the game at critical times.

We battled hard but mentally did not execute. You can’t often beat good teams with 17 turnovers. We need shooters. Another missed opportunity.

I suppose Hurley will say this is year 2 of a rebuilt - being competitive against a good team but lose late in the game. However, we need to start actually winning games.
I know I'm late commenting on the game but, it's all about getting players. Take Gillespie and put him on our team. Or give us one good, strong, athletic post player. We would be vastly improved with either one of these scenarios. It's about recruiting and Hurley is on track to turn this team around. The rest of it is just trying to get blood from a stone. What's anyone supposed to do about Gilbert's limitations as a point guard - he is what he is.... good but not really good. It's a simple equation. But it is fun to discuss all of our thoughts and suggestions.... they just have little to do with the problem. Our recruiting took a nose dive a year or so after the 2014 championship. This is the primary problem. The rest of it is secondary to this. JMHO

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Re those pull up jump shots....I wonder if the size of opponent's guards have any impact.

I noticed Nova's guards range 5'11, 6'0, 6'1...and to a 6'3 and 6'4. Would seem that you could get off a jumper or two.

Some teams are going with taller guards...could impact opponents jumpers.

FSU, for instance, has a 6'7, 6'6, and three 6'5 guards.

Michigan can put their 6'9, 6'7, and 6'6 guards out for a big lineup.
That’s why getting the defender moving backward and pulling up works for smaller guys. That’s why I mentioned KEA who would get into the lane and pull up beforevhus defender stopped back pedaling.

C

Chief00

I know I'm late commenting on the game but, it's all about getting players. Take Gillespie and put him on our team. Or give us one good, strong, athletic post player. We would be vastly improved with either one of these scenarios. It's about recruiting and Hurley is on track to turn this team around. The rest of it is just trying to get blood from a stone. What's anyone supposed to do about Gilbert's limitations as a point guard - he is what he is.... good but not really good. It's a simple equation. But it is fun to discuss all of our thoughts and suggestions.... they just have little to do with the problem. Our recruiting took a nose dive a year or so after the 2014 championship. This is the primary problem. The rest of it is secondary to this. JMHO
I agree you got to Grind and get the talented players. But, don’t dismiss what happens after that. Basketball should be a game of constant hard work and development for any talented player. That diamond in the rough that Chief00 sees out on the circuit, needs to be shined and polished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22