Chief00’s Briefs - Nova Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief00’s Briefs - Nova Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
he only had success against Gaffney in the second half and when he pushed off on gilbert. I know he’s well respected and his stats are very good but I think he kind of sucks. I’ve said this before and got roasted for it.

How do you watch that game and come away from it saying Gillespie sucks? What game were you watching? I’m not saying he’s an all American or anything like that but he’s a poised, strong upperclassmen leader who can stroke it. He doesn’t make boneheaded mistakes and sets his team up for success. He’s certainly a player I’d take, kinda kid that doesn’t seem to get rattled. Weird take especially when comparing him to the play of our guards.

Reaction Score
Gilbert giveth and Gilbert taketh away on the offensive end. Jay gave Hurley a lesson on how to trot out a young team and have them stay composed today. This board loves Bouknight and he’s only a freshman but he floats frequently and looks really out of his depth sometimes. Would love to see a few more cuts/screens on the low blocks or baseline to free up Sid or Akok Akok on a quick curl. Hurley is a good coach and a great recruiter but still has a long way to go. Hope he can use this last half of the season to really finally install his culture and use it as a jumping board for next year. Don’t want to go off the rails in conference play

C

Chief00

The 3 discrepancy was huge but as a team you absolutely need to attempt more than 3 free throws!
That was the riddle - we go inside for our points and got fouled less. We also had several offensive fouls.

Reaction Score
That was the riddle - we go inside for our points and got fouled less. We also had several offensive fouls.
Random thought but Did anyone else notice the lack of replays on certain fouls against UConn? I would’ve liked FS1 to show the replay of the block call against Sid, the pretty apparent no foul against Gilbert that got him his 3rd, there’s another that’s escaping me as well. Would’ve liked to seen a few of those plays replayed. Also thought that charge called against Sid was a tough call.

Reaction Score
Gilbert’s pass was bad but not why we didn’t win. We shoot 15% from 3.

Reaction Score
Gilbert’s pass was bad but not why we didn’t win. We shoot 15% from 3.
The 15% doesn’t tell the full story though. The poor decision by Vital to shoot that 3 five seconds into the shot clock up 5 and 4 threes by Gilbert will lead to such a bad percentage. Gilbert did some things well today, but he should not be taking four 3s, especially several feet behind the line.

Reaction Score
What frustrates me, is we go from pushing, sharing, and running offense with purpose, to back-2-back possessions where we never get inside the arc and hoist something as the shot clock expires. How can that happen?

Reaction Score
In 2020 you have to be able to make threes at any basketball level.

question on Gilbert’s third foul: it appeared that he wasn’t even close to Gillespie and got called for a foul. I just saw Gillespie stumble and then ref blew the whistle. Am I wrong? Maybe it was my stream skipping and I missed it.

No you’re right. Gillespies a nice player who gets away with murder. Uses his off arm to gain separation almost always.

Reaction Score
The 15% doesn’t tell the full story though. The poor decision by Vital to shoot that 3 five seconds into the shot clock up 5 and 4 threes by Gilbert will lead to such a bad percentage. Gilbert did some things well today, but he should not be taking four 3s, especially several feet behind the line.
Right, it hurt in that spot but our lack of ability to make them in general affects the outcome overall.

Reaction Score
In 2020 you have to be able to make threes at any basketball level.

question on Gilbert’s third foul: it appeared that he wasn’t even close to Gillespie and got called for a foul. I just saw Gillespie stumble and then ref blew the whistle. Am I wrong? Maybe it was my stream skipping and I missed it.

That call was horrendous.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What frustrates me, is we go from pushing, sharing, and running offense with purpose, to back-2-back possessions where we never get inside the arc and hoist something as the shot clock expires. How can that happen?

we gotta ask Hurley

Reaction Score
A quick start, then 4 dead minutes at the end of the half followed by a good jump out of the gate in the second half. Later Villanova went to a zone and that challenged our weakness - hitting outside shots.

The three themes that killed us were allowing open threes after collapsing the defense, poor outside shooting and offensive turnovers. I thought we rebounded and blocked shots well.

Josh looked more fluid today - perhaps his haircut helped? Gilbert played better but CV took over the turnover machine. First half story was 10 UConn turnovers and 5 assists. Our senior guard Vital had 4 turnovers himself. Villanova was 6 for 11 from the 3 point line while UConn shot 16%. The last 4 minutes of the first half was a black hole.

Bouknight wasn’t strong with the ball. We also missed Akok numerous times when he beat his man down court.

Samuels and Gillespie killed us the second half along with good foul shooting. They are more polish and poised than our players. Turnovers consistently take us out of the game at critical times.

We battled hard but mentally did not execute. You can’t often beat good teams with 17 turnovers. We need shooters. Another missed opportunity.

I suppose Hurley will say this is year 2 of a rebuilt - being competitive against a good team but lose late in the game. However, we need to start actually winning games.

At this point, you can almost write the script for the Coach Hurley press conference. To his credit, he did acknowledge the fact that the ill-advised rifle pass from Al toward Akok down the stretch was a huge mistake that just can't be made. Without Polley, we don't shoot well. Hurley has said it repeatedly....when you struggle to score but work hard on defense, you are going to be in games but suffer some brutal, brutal losses. That is where we are right now.

My favorite part about the press conference was at the end when he looked up and said, "You better get us now".... He knows they are close.

As for the remaining 14 games, the goal needs to focus on playing some sort of postseason basketball. Beat Temple, UCF, South Florida, Tulsa at home. Beat Tulsa, East Carolina, and Tulane on the road. That's 17 wins. Pick up one more (Cinn, Houston, Memphis at home, SMU on the road...we get to the NIT. That would be fun and a real help to the program going forward.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He's good for what he is. A decent ball-handling kid who won't make too many mistakes while Nova's actually good players do their thing. Can shoot it some off the ball as well. But he's nothing special
I would take three of him on our team.

Reaction Score
Thanks @Chief00 , for The Briefs, a dedicated thread to air out the game. This forum has been missing this lately, and I for one am appreciative.

As for the game and the team, we are getting there. We should competitively be in every game from here on out, and I will agree with anyone on this board who stated that we really need to learn how to win. Those last 8 minutes, down to our final few possessions, we need to execute better, keep our composure and confidence, and close these tight games out with the W.

Reaction Score
While one can point to the FT discrepancy and some questionable calls, IMO, the officials where good. Compared to the AAC clowns who ref our games, they where much, much better. They allowed us to get physical and aggressive on a number of occasions, especially inside the lane (when is the last time we where so dominant inside against a good team?) There is no doubt, our desired style of play is more aligned with the way the refs in the BE call it, than in the AAC. Having said that, I look forward to bitching about them next year and beyond. :D

C

Chief00

Random thought but Did anyone else notice the lack of replays on certain fouls against UConn? I would’ve liked FS1 to show the replay of the block call against Sid, the pretty apparent no foul against Gilbert that got him his 3rd, there’s another that’s escaping me as well. Would’ve liked to seen a few of those plays replayed. Also thought that charge called against Sid was a tough call.
Calhoun always said Wright teaches his players to phony flop

Reaction Score
he only had success against Gaffney in the second half and when he pushed off on gilbert. I know he’s well respected and his stats are very good but I think he kind of sucks. I’ve said this before and got roasted for it.
As you should have. It’s a really bad take. I’d take that kid in a heartbeat on our team.

Reaction Score
How do you watch that game and come away from it saying Gillespie sucks? What game were you watching? I’m not saying he’s an all American or anything like that but he’s a poised, strong upperclassmen leader who can stroke it. He doesn’t make boneheaded mistakes and sets his team up for success. He’s certainly a player I’d take, kinda kid that doesn’t seem to get rattled. Weird take especially when comparing him to the play of our guards.
Doesn’t make boneheaded mistakes? I must be thinking of a different player that wears # 3 for the good guys.

Reaction Score
Game winding down and Coach took Sid out and put in Carlton. We then proceeded to not get the ball inside on several possessions wasting clock running weave/handoff nonsense leading to forced shots or turnovers.
Not being able to make 3's is a huge issue. Bouk has the size to be able to get the shot off. Sid had no attempts. Gilbert had way to many as Elmore noted.
Carlton had a nice game. Phantom foul on the 3. Tough miss on the hook late.
First half we had Akok behind the D more than once but no pass. Why no use of him in baseline as a threat all game?
Our entry passes to the post are not good. On many the passer would be better off shooting as we throw uncatchable passes. Our guards need to tighten this up. Our guards also need to throw passes for big men not midgets.

C

Chief00

One thing is true and that is when you can’t shoot the defense overplay the passing lanes and produces turnovers.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
same people making the same mistakes, nobody benefits from this

listened to the game on XM as we headed to Boston to watch Kemba sit. Nova announcers, they couldn't get over how BAD Gilbert's turnover was with under one minute left

I obviously didn't see the play, but they did, and they had to mention how bad it was at least 5 times

I'm thinking, just another day at the office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog