And forgive us of our hating
As Chiefin’ ain’t easy
And lead us not into despair
But deliver us from casual fandom
Confirmed

C

Chief00

KO will get his money, there is no doubt about it
If running some summer practices or any of the other crap that is flying around are the basis of "just cause" - it is a joke
I just do not like the way it was handled by UConn, AD David Benedict and L McHugh and the BoT. Some of these folks along with Herbst need to go.
KO was not going to be back next year - we all knew that and I didn't need Chief00 to whisper that into my ear (sorry Chief00)
I am dumbfounded that UConn would watch a coach take a program to an elite NY bowl game, see him walk away mid flight, hire a piece of crap and then another that brought the program to it's knees and in doing so cost the school an opportunity for a P5 invite. And what does the school do? Rehire the same guy who more or less started the tumble due to his covert actions. I have nothing against RE2 and hope he brings the program to a better place.
BUT the same AD turns around and throws eggs at a coach who has been true blue.
Did KO have to go? Yeah, but it was handled, IMHO, very poorly and there could be some very negative and costly repercussions.

GTCAM firing someone smoothly is a rare artform not a science. I appreciate your thoughts about the sanctity of a buyout in a contract and in general Chief agrees with that principle.

Given the necessary timetable I don’t know if Dave had any other choice but to do it so quickly that a buyout settlement - which will be the end game could take place. It was right to wait until the season ended and if they are to hire a current coach the other requirement is to wait until their season is over - but then again look at Frost to Nebraska.

I really hope this is just part of the inevitable negotiating/litigation process where lawyers call the shots not the people being criticized, especially Larry McHugh, who I believe retired.

Chief doesn’t believe in kicking a man when he’s down but I hope the KO advisors are objective about certain things that went on both within the NCAA investigation and beyond. If not they might get blindsided and it may hurt KO’s future unnecessarily.

As I have been saying, KO’s expectations about being able to pay his huge alimony payments while living a good life style may have to be deconstructed a little by those close to him - who have his best interest at heart. $10 million covers all that, $2 or $3 million doesn’t. I believe the funds are available to achieve a $3 - $5 million buyout and hope KO reconsiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Our Chief, who art in Blaze
Hallowed be thy handle
Thy Boneyard come
Thy will be done
In Storrs as it was in Oakland
Give us this day our daily Brief
And forgive us of our hating
As Chiefin’ ain’t easy
And lead us not into despair
But deliver us from casual fandom
Confirmed

Well said!

Reaction Score
KO will get his money, there is no doubt about it.
That may be in doubt:

>>Alicia Jessop a sports law professor at Pepperdine University, said the language of Ollie’s contract may give UConn an edge. What constitutes “just cause” to fire him is “very broadly” written which will favor the university, she said.

“There isn’t a burden of proof established in the contract on what the university must prove to show just cause so that gives them some leverage,” Jessop said. “The contract is not favorable to Ollie unless he is vindicated by the NCAA investigation.”

Jessop said the contract also doesn’t have a timeline saying when the university must act, of that it must wait for the NCAA to complete its investigation.

“They can arguably get out of the contract well before the NCAA ever concludes its investigation,” Jessop said.

Under the contract, if one of Ollie’s assistant coaches is cited for violating NCAA regulations Ollie can be held responsible for his actions and terminated on that basis, Jessop said. Ollie could fight a firing even taking it to the state courts delaying the process. That would increase legal bills for him and the school.<<

C

Chief00

That may be in doubt:

>>Alicia Jessop a sports law professor at Pepperdine University, said the language of Ollie’s contract may give UConn an edge. What constitutes “just cause” to fire him is “very broadly” written which will favor the university, she said.

“There isn’t a burden of proof established in the contract on what the university must prove to show just cause so that gives them some leverage,” Jessop said. “The contract is not favorable to Ollie unless he is vindicated by the NCAA investigation.”

Jessop said the contract also doesn’t have a timeline saying when the university must act, of that it must wait for the NCAA to complete its investigation.

“They can arguably get out of the contract well before the NCAA ever concludes its investigation,” Jessop said.

Under the contract, if one of Ollie’s assistant coaches is cited for violating NCAA regulations Ollie can be held responsible for his actions and terminated on that basis, Jessop said. Ollie could fight a firing even taking it to the state courts delaying the process. That would increase legal bills for him and the school.<<

It would be great if we had confidential non binding mediation, where a couple of retired judges could give both sides a reasonable view of their case and the dollar parameters of settlement before the inevitable dirt comes out if the case goes to trial.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
It would be great if we had confidential non binding mediation, where a couple of retired judges could give both sides a reasonable view of their case and the dollar parameters of settlement before the inevitable dirt comes out if the case goes to trial.

Square it up. Shake hands and we'll see ya at the golf tournament in a few years when this all blows over and emotions are set aside.

Business aint always fun or pretty.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Nope. No way. UConn needs a jury trial here. If Ollie wants to press this, his dirty laundry needs to come out. That’s the price. If he wants to settlle cheap, fine. But otherwise they need to make it as costly for him as they can.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Untitled.png

C

Chief00

Nope. No way. UConn needs a jury trial here. If Ollie wants to press this, his dirty laundry needs to come out. That’s the price. If he wants to settlle cheap, fine. But otherwise they need to make it as costly for him as they can.

I agree he will never take the stand. His divorce was settled just prior to that reality.

C

Chief00

That’s what happened, which sets the stage for this settlement negotiated process. Of course, Dave doesn’t want to pay more than he has to. But he knows he has the money behind him to start the process. I always called it a negotiated buyout. That’s what is taking place despite the bluster.

Reaction Score
has mike melio said anything on twitter about all this? If we're aiming for 3-5mil buyout where is even that money coming from? cash on hand or did a booster(s) step up?

C

Chief00

has mike melio said anything on twitter about all this? If we're aiming for 3-5mil buyout where is even that money coming from? cash on hand or did a booster(s) step up?

Booster.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Melio loved Ollie, so he's probably upset

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As we speak, Emmert and his cohorts are locked into a closed door meeting trying to decide if UConn is hurt more by them coming down on Ollie, or by the NCAA vindicating him costing the university 10 million while also making the president, the AD, and by extension the entire university a huge villain and pretty much ensuring the permanent end of UConn MBB as we know it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Was outside before admiring the beautiful blue sky and I saw one cloud shaped like a brief float by.

Oh yes, chief is good.

Reaction Score
GTCAM firing someone smoothly is a rare artform not a science. I appreciate your thoughts about the sanctity of a buyout in a contract and in general Chief agrees with that principle.

Given the necessary timetable I don’t know if Dave had any other choice but to do it so quickly that a buyout settlement - which will be the end game could take place. It was right to wait until the season ended and if they are to hire a current coach the other requirement is to wait until their season is over - but then again look at Frost to Nebraska.

I really hope this is just part of the inevitable negotiating/litigation process where lawyers call the shots not the people being criticized, especially Larry McHugh, who I believe retired.

Chief doesn’t believe in kicking a man when he’s down but I hope the KO advisors are objective about certain things that went on both within the NCAA investigation and beyond. If not they might get blindsided and it may hurt KO’s future unnecessarily.

As I have been saying, KO’s expectations about being able to pay his huge alimony payments while living a good life style may have to be deconstructed a little by those close to him - who have his best interest at heart. $10 million covers all that, $2 or $3 million doesn’t. I believe the funds are available to achieve a $3 - $5 million buyout and hope KO reconsiders.

most of KO's financial burden was detailed in the Courant - 8/20/15:
Stephanie Ollie, 40, who filed for the divorce from her husband nine months ago, will receive $33,200 per month in alimony for seven years and $1,800 in child support. The couple has a 14-year-old-daughter and a 19-year-old son.

The agreement also provides that while Kevin Ollie will retain an undisclosed number of separate and joint financial accounts, Stephanie Ollie, a nurse, will receive $2.5 million in compensation to be paid in four installments over the next 18 months and $2,000 from Bank of America checking and savings account. She will also receive an additional $350,000 lump sum alimony/property distribution award to be paid over a 42-month period, the agreement states. In exchange for waiving claims to her husband's current assets or potential income, according to the agreement, she will also receive another $240,000 by May 15, 2019.

C

Chief00

most of KO's financial burden was detailed in the Courant - 8/20/15:
Stephanie Ollie, 40, who filed for the divorce from her husband nine months ago, will receive $33,200 per month in alimony for seven years and $1,800 in child support. The couple has a 14-year-old-daughter and a 19-year-old son.

The agreement also provides that while Kevin Ollie will retain an undisclosed number of separate and joint financial accounts, Stephanie Ollie, a nurse, will receive $2.5 million in compensation to be paid in four installments over the next 18 months and $2,000 from Bank of America checking and savings account. She will also receive an additional $350,000 lump sum alimony/property distribution award to be paid over a 42-month period, the agreement states. In exchange for waiving claims to her husband's current assets or potential income, according to the agreement, she will also receive another $240,000 by May 15, 2019.
Now you see what Chief was referring to - isn’t that about $2.5 million still to payout to his ex - before he pockets a dime. That’s why he is fighting so hard for the full ten million.

Reaction Score
By the way, Zionn had "NEXT" in one of the threads a few days ago...if we're going to pass credit around.
Zionn is usually the grim reaper. But he was an angel of light with that “NEXT”

C

Chief00

Zionn is usually the grim reaper. But he was an angel of light with that “NEXT”
Agreed. Again, I don’t take any delight in his plight and hope he does well in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom