Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Use your brain
Carlton’s progression has been amazing and I’m a big fan of it but to insinuate that there was a specific reason he was re-recruited as if Hurley had a choice in the matter is silly

Reaction Score
Carlton’s progression has been amazing and I’m a big fan of it but to insinuate that there was a specific reason he was re-recruited as if Hurley had a choice in the matter is silly

He would not have re-recruited everyone. Scholarships are more important than having a body you can throw out year 1 of a rebuild.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He would not have re-recruited everyone. Scholarships are more important than having a body you can throw out year 1 of a rebuild.
He literally did re-recruit everyone, though. He made that his top priority and said as much.

Josh took more effort than anyone else. But he wanted to keep this group together.

Reaction Score
He literally did re-recruit everyone, though. He made that his top priority and said as much.

Josh took more effort than anyone else. But he wanted to keep this group together.

Carlton was different and I assume you know the difference. There was 1 guy that had his foot out of the door in regards to transferring.

Reaction Score
On what planet did Hurley not have the option to re-recruit everyone? The three open scholarships were filled with a Rhode Island decommit and two grad transfers. Hurley was hired in late March when most recruits have already committed. He was in no position to not re-recruit anyone, especially any frontcourt players (the weakest part of the roster).

Reaction Score
On what planet did Hurley not have the option to re-recruit everyone? The three open scholarships were filled with a Rhode Island decommit and two grad transfers. Hurley was hired in late March when most recruits have already committed. He was in no position to not re-recruit anyone, especially any frontcourt players (the weakest part of the roster).

This is pointless. Hurley had Blaney call Josh's father to talk up Hurley and try to convince him to stay. Hurley would not have find the same thing with Whaley, for instance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Chief00, post:
Since Hurley’s double technical game and the wake up call to the league office the officiating has greatly improved.

THIS! The posters calling for Hurley to tone it down must be too young to rememeber Jim Calhoun.[/QUOTE]
JC and DH have two entirely different approaches - one demanded respect (for the most part) and the other is faces and whining. JC was mainly covert with the refs but demonstrative with the players. DH, when he badgers the refs, it is constant so the attention is on him.
Not even comparable

C

Chief00

THIS! The posters calling for Hurley to tone it down must be too young to rememeber Jim Calhoun.
JC and Dan Hurley have two entirely different approaches - one demanded respect (for the most part) and the other is faces and whining. JC was mainly covert with the refs but demonstrative with the players. Dan Hurley, when he badgers the refs, it is constant so the attention is on him.
Not even comparable[/QUOTE]

Agree up until the turning point Chief reference. Dan focused on the players tonight. You may be underselling Calhoun with the refs a little.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I've been really down on him but it does seem like the light is turning on. As you say we still need another big but Josh is now showing he can compete and there is some basketball skill there.
So have I. What move, the ball was kicked in to him around the foul line and made a great move to the hoop for two. My wife upstairs was screaming at me asking what happened.Nice move.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Wow - Best first half of the season, jumped out to a 10 point lead and finished up by 15. I know when Chief talks about the grind be it recruiting or practice, some are skeptical. The McDonald’s Drive Thru instant gratification window doesn’t exist in D1 college basketball - The Grind must be done to get better.

First half results were 9 assists to 6 turnovers, a 5 rebound margin and over 50% shooting from the field while holding our opponents to under 30%. All the ingredients for a great half.

Josh Carlton continues to play so much better - a switch was turned a couple games ago and he has played with poise and aggression.

CV is probably our most improved player from last season, much better shot selection than last year and a tighter more poised game.

As you may know, Gilbert is a Chief favorite. He so willingly sacrifices himself for the team and his on ball defense is tireless and intense. I pray that he recovers well from whatever happened to his shoulder tonight. Without him, there is a big void both on defense and offense. Nothing official and Chief hopes he’s ok - I can’t even process this.

The weakest part of our game tonight was really poor foul shooting. That needs to improve.

Since Hurley’s double technical game and the wake up call to the league office the officiating has greatly improved.
Diarra (sp) did not look bad for 2 minutes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Did I hear right, not another game on school property until March?

C

Chief00

Should have mentioned this in the original Briefs - While WSU didn’t exactly stress our defense, our handling of screens is much better. The Big is getting back to their Big and we are not seeing the ridiculous mismatches.

I was also remise in not giving Coach Hunter a shout out. Coach Hunter has really worked a great deal with Josh and we are seeing that improvement.

Reaction Score
So have I. What move, the ball was kicked in to him around the foul line and made a great move to the hoop for two. My wife upstairs was screaming at me asking what happened.Nice move.

So I imagine your wife is like the Gramma on the video of screaming Grandpa after the Patriots lost to the Dolphins "Did we win?" "How did that happen?" "Oh my Gaaawd". I am lucky as my wife gets as mad as I do.

Reaction Score
WSU has some pretty good players, but they are not a good "team"...still good to see the good guys get a "w". 2 in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom