Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Josh takes well to coaching.
C83F2D5B-1E23-4CE5-AFBB-A8D1A37EE95C.jpeg

C

Chief00

Excellent post Chief!! Missed your briefs. Couldn't agree more on all points. Also, adding that Jalen Adams is hitting outside shots from a variety of spots on the floor. Never thought I'd see it. I hope he can keep it up. CV has become a very reliable shooter and his poise and demeanor on the court are better as well. Carlton's improvement is striking. Would love to see Polley hitting shots more consistently - some improvement tonight. Tough road ahead winning at least 5 would be a plus. If we can get more... awesome. NCAA is obviously a long shot but NIT competition would be a nice step forward from the pit of despair we have been in the last two years.
It’s amazing what consistent and steady coaching can do, especially when the attitude is where you want it to be.

Reaction Score
I never questioned his IQ. I questioned his restraint. He’s finally somewhat learned to restrain himself

Fair enough, but several people used the term "basketball IQ", and I think what everyone needs to consider is that the line between playing with restraint and playing with the passion and intensity necessary to win is extremely fine and only comes with experience. An impassioned intense player can learn restraint, but not the opposite, so I'll take mistakes that come from intensity every time.

C

Chief00

@Chief00 — thanks for the briefs

My pleasure. As others have commented, it was a great atmosphere tonight and I hope the powers to be consider playing at 6pm on Saturdays. True, Bunkey might have to alter his schedule to catch the game but for most fans it works well.

Reaction Score
Surprising no one mentioned how visibly "fired up" Josh was on several possessions at the start of the game. I don't recall seeing so much emotion from him and hope that he continues it. He also did a great job defending their center both inside and outside and switched as effectively as Jake used to.

C

Chief00

Surprising no one mentioned how visibly "fired up" Josh was on several possessions at the start of the game. I don't recall seeing so much emotion from him and hope that he continues it. He also did a great job defending their center both inside and outside and switched as effectively as Jake used to.
I did say he played with aggression. I think Josh is learning if you do that you will get some 50/50 balls even if the other guy was stronger just based on the randomness of the bounce of the ball, your location and bodies colliding.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

View attachment 38775

12 rebounds for Adams. He's definitely grinding out there. Great game for CV also.

Good point. Jalen has always been a really nice college kid but earlier this season Chief wondered if he would ever embrace the grind that Chief talks about. Doing things the right way, playing with focus and prizing each ball possession with ball security and a plan for a good shot. He is starting to do all that now. Quite frankly, puts a smile on Chief's face.

Reaction Score
Good point. Jalen has always been a really nice college kid but earlier this season Chief wondered if he would ever embrace the grind that Chief talks about. Doing things the right way, playing with focus and prizing each ball possession with ball security and a plan for a good shot. He is starting to do all that now. Quite frankly, puts a smile on Chief's face.
Wait, I thought the grind only pertained to recruiting?? I know blaze strategy did. Can you please specify the difference between the recruiting grind and the current players' grind?? When did the grind strategy start for the current players?? Are they aware that it exists?? Who is there to differentiate for them the recruiting grind vs the playing grind?? No wonder we have sucked for most of this year. No one told the players to switch from blaze to grind. Chief with your inside connections, I believe this deficiency falls on you. You need to be better.

C

Chief00

Or the fact that he was 3-5 on 3's. That was a key to the game, and a big rebound from the past 5 or so games.

Quite frankly, if I did a deep dive on everything, the original Briefs post wouldn’t be brief. Due to overwhelming interest about Tyler, Chief will add a few insights. Thanks for the feedback, it’s always appreciated. As with the players, if used correctly, it’s how we get better.

On to Tyler now. True, he was given the toughest defensive assignment of the night and with a little help from CV and Sid, they held McDuffie to 9 points - less than half of his 20 point game average. Danny’s plan was to use primarily Tyler but to also give McDuffie more than one look.

Two things Chief would like to review. First, we did this shutdown without fouling. Danny’s unspoken agreement with the League Office is working. Call the game roughly even and he will largely cut back on his sideline antics. Our players have also learned fundamental aggressive defense minus the “sloppy” tendencies, as Danny would say ( reaching in, not moving laterally, playing screens correctly).

The second change has been for our guards to gang rebound rather than cheat on the break. This is why Jalen got 12 rebounds tonight and it prevents the other team’s star from getting those second chances that allow him to get hot and go off.

I hope this deep dive helps.

Reaction Score
Quadrant 1 and 2 games to date

AAC Q1 and Q2 to date:

UConn..........1-8

Houston........9-1
Temple..........5-3
Cincy.............3-2
UCF...............3-2
WSU..............3-10
Tulsa..............2-7
ECU...............1-5
SMU...............1-6
Tulane............0-6

Reaction Score
Diarra (sp) did not look bad for 2 minutes.
He did look good for a preferred walk on. I kid, sort of. Diarra wasn't particularly good before the injury. While it seems he is a really nice kid and brings a ton of energy, he now has even less lateral movement and seemed to not be able to jump an inch off the ground. I know this was a long recovery back and definite kudos for getting back on the court, but Diarra is not the answer to our frontcourt woes. He never was.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, if I did a deep dive on everything, the original Briefs post wouldn’t be brief. Due to overwhelming interest about Tyler, Chief will add a few insights. Thanks for the feedback, it’s always appreciated. As with the players, if used correctly, it’s how we get better.

On to Tyler now. True, he was given the toughest defensive assignment of the night and with a little help from CV and Sid, they held McDuffie to 9 points - less than half of his 20 point game average. Danny’s plan was to use primarily Tyler but to also give McDuffie more than one look.

Two things Chief would like to review. First, we did this shutdown without fouling. Danny’s unspoken agreement with the League Office is working. Call the game roughly even and he will largely cut back on his sideline antics. Our players have also learned fundamental aggressive defense minus the “sloppy” tendencies, as Danny would say ( reaching in, not moving laterally, playing screens correctly).

The second change has been for our guards to gang rebound rather than cheat on the break. This is why Jalen got 12 rebounds tonight and it prevents the other team’s star from getting those second chances that allow him to get hot and go off.

I hope this deep dive helps.
Chief, you should never dive into a pool that is only five feet deep. This is more a belly flop. Seriously, the league and Danny have an unspoken agreement to call the game roughly even? Huh?

Reaction Score
Why are you here?

Why are your panties in a wad?

Tell me, if anyone had posted an update on AAC Q1 and Q2 records to date, would you get ugly?

Don't think so...I think you are just one of those xenophobes who get angry because they perceive slights in every post.

Tune down your paranoia and you'll be happier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My attention to the Q1 and Q2 conference record was when I heard them say that WSU had played the toughest schedule to date.

And it looks like they might have.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My pleasure. As others have commented, it was a great atmosphere tonight and I hope the powers to be consider playing at 6pm on Saturdays. True, Bunkey might have to alter his schedule to catch the game but for most fans it works well.

chief, there is only one set of briefs everyone wants to get into!

Reaction Score
Should have mentioned this in the original Briefs - While WSU didn’t exactly stress our defense, our handling of screens is much better. The Big is getting back to their Big and we are not seeing the ridiculous mismatches.

I was also remise in not giving Coach Hunter a shout out. Coach Hunter has really worked a great deal with Josh and we are seeing that improvement.
This was easily seen last night as both Carlton and Cobb didn’t hedge quite as hard, were more cognizant of recovering quickly to their man and not allowing easy entry pass and having to stop their guy just steps from hoop.
Hoping like you this is a trend. Also helped that Wichita state front court was one of weaker I have seen in AAC this year

pj

Reaction Score

I'm sure Bunkey would be willing to get up early once in a while to catch a 6 pm game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom