Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Wow - Best first half of the season, jumped out to a 10 point lead and finished up by 15. I know when Chief talks about the grind be it recruiting or practice, some are skeptical. The McDonald’s Drive Thru instant gratification window doesn’t exist in D1 college basketball - The Grind must be done to get better.

First half results were 9 assists to 6 turnovers, a 5 rebound margin and over 50% shooting from the field while holding our opponents to under 30%. All the ingredients for a great half.

Josh Carlton continues to play so much better - a switch was turned a couple games ago and he has played with poise and aggression.

CV is probably our most improved player from last season, much better shot selection than last year and a tighter more poised game.

As you may know, Gilbert is a Chief favorite. He so willingly sacrifices himself for the team and his on ball defense is tireless and intense. I pray that he recovers well from whatever happened to his shoulder tonight. Without him, there is a big void both on defense and offense. Nothing official and Chief hopes he’s ok - I can’t even process this.

The weakest part of our game tonight was really poor foul shooting. That needs to improve.

Since Hurley’s double technical game and the wake up call to the league office the officiating has greatly improved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
W
Josh Carlton continues to play so much better - a switch was turned a couple games ago and he has played with poise and aggression.
Last 5 games:

vs. SMU: 8 points, 7 rebs, 1 steal in 29 mins
@ Cincy: 10 points, 9 rebs, 2 blocks in 35 mins
@ Tulsa: 5 points, 6 rebs in 19 mins (foul trouble)
vs. Tulane: 18 points, 8 rebs, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 steal in 32 mins
vs. WSU: 11 points, 6 rebs, 5 blocks in ~25 mins

When he plays well we play well. Still obviously need to recruit another big for next year, but he no longer looks lost or overwhelmed out there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Vital is much better this year and that’s all this casual fan can opine with confidence.

Reaction Score
Last 5 games:

vs. SMU: 8 points, 7 rebs, 1 steal in 29 mins
@ Cincy: 10 points, 9 rebs, 2 blocks in 35 mins
@ Tulsa: 5 points, 6 rebs in 19 mins (foul trouble)
vs. Tulane: 18 points, 8 rebs, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 steal in 32 mins
vs. WSU: 11 points, 6 rebs, 5 blocks in ~25 mins

When he plays well we play well. Still obviously need to recruit another big for next year, but he no longer looks lost or overwhelmed out there.
I've been really down on him but it does seem like the light is turning on. As you say we still need another big but Josh is now showing he can compete and there is some basketball skill there.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
My favorite game I’ve watched in a long time (sans Gilbert injury). Absolutely dominating performance against a somewhat down, but decent conference opponent. Also, Mamadou has been my favorite player for the last few years and he made an appearance and even scored.

Also, I wish XL center never existed and we could play every home game at Gampel.

I hope for a speedy Gilbert recovery and that we can build off two straight conference wins.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Chief00, post:
Since Hurley’s double technical game and the wake up call to the league office the officiating has greatly improved.[/QUOTE]

THIS! The posters calling for Hurley to tone it down must be too young to rememeber Jim Calhoun.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Wow - Best first half of the season, jumped out to a 10 point lead and finished up by 15. I know when Chief talks about the grind be it recruiting our practice - some our skeptical. The McDonald’s Drive Thru instant gratification window doesn’t exist in D1 college basketball - The Grind must be done to get better.

First half results were 9 assists to 6 turnovers, a 5 rebound margin and over 50% shooting from the field while holding our opponents to under 30%. All the ingredients for a great half.

CV is probably our most improved player from last season, much better shot selection than last year and a tighter more poised game.

As you may know, Gilbert is s Chief favorite. He so willingly sacrifices himself for the team and his on ball defense is tireless and intense. I pray that he recovers well from whatever happened to his shoulder tonight. Without him, there is a big void both on defense and offense. Nothing official and Chief hopes he’s ok - I can’t even process this.

The weakest part of our game tonight was really poor foul shooting. That needs to improve.

Since Hurley’s double technical game and the wake up call to the league office the officiating has greatly improved.
Excellent post Chief!! Missed your briefs. Couldn't agree more on all points. Also, adding that Jalen Adams is hitting outside shots from a variety of spots on the floor. Never thought I'd see it. I hope he can keep it up. CV has become a very reliable shooter and his poise and demeanor on the court are better as well. Carlton's improvement is striking. Would love to see Polley hitting shots more consistently - some improvement tonight. Tough road ahead winning at least 5 would be a plus. If we can get more... awesome. NCAA is obviously a long shot but NIT competition would be a nice step forward from the pit of despair we have been in the last two years.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Re Gilbert’s injury.
Tough one. Obviously I wasn’t there. But here are some things to remember.
  1. With 3 surgeries already if the X-rays don’t show a fracture or failed fixation, there won’t be any more surgery.
  2. He used the arm to push himself up off the floor, good sign.
  3. He returned to the bench, another good sign.
  4. This episode should remind everyone that there are no 100% results in surgery.
I’m betting there’ll be ice and rehab, and a chance he misses no games.

Reaction Score
I've been really down on him but it does seem like the light is turning on. As you say we still need another big but Josh is now showing he can compete and there is some basketball skill there.

There is a reason Hurley actively re-recruited him. He wouldn't have done that for everyone. He is always going to be somewhat limited athletically but I think he can be legitimately solid if Sal builds him up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Once Josh knew he was getting 25mpg restof season, he calmed down and started producing.

Clarifying rolls- Josh 25 mpg, Cobb 10-15 and Whaley riding pine, gave him confidence to play aggressive and play through mistakes.

I know he's only an average athlete but his shot blocking has really improved. Times it well and goes straight up. He's miniming the bringing arms down in to his opponent and getting called for fouls.

Reaction Score
There is a reason Hurley actively re-recruited him. He wouldn't have done that for everyone. He is always going to be somewhat limited athletically but I think he can be legitimately solid if Sal builds him up.
Yes...the reason is so that we could have a center on the roster.

Reaction Score
Chief00 is right.

Embracing the grind and doing things right when no one is watching are keys to growth.

I think we need to setup a website where Chief can really show the breadth of his knowledge.

Maybe something like Grindr . com ?????
I've finally been around long enough to start getting some of these jokes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1548552676507.png

12 rebounds for Adams. He's definitely grinding out there. Great game for CV also.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
View attachment 38775

12 rebounds for Adams. He's definitely grinding out there. Great game for CV also.

CV's long 3 at the half was big. WSU was on a bit of mini run and had it down to a 10 point game. If WSU comes out with a spurt to start second half, the rest of the game is a grind.

He nails the three, puts momentum back on UConn's side and lead never got single digits the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom