Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Rakeem Lubin was really strong. And, well.

Cobb was a JUCO guy who has a high motor, can score the ball a bit and can't defend. Yakwe is a flamed out prospect who's the opposite. Carlton is a project. He's ok, but you can see why he's a project. It's a really flawed group. I mean it'd be great to teach them new stuff, but Cobb/Yakwe are last year players. Carlton is a little better than last year, not much.

Sans a couple of guys, everyone else is a one tool fool type who really aren't helping you if they're not doing the one thing they're good at.

Sucks, but that's just reality.
On top of all that it seems like there's no fire and pride to rebound and play good defense albeit Yakwe from time to time. Severely disappointing.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This game was like a replay of the Villanova game except USF was no where near as talented as Nova so it was slightly closer.

Reaction Score
On top of all that it seems like there's no fire and pride to rebound and play good defense albeit Yakwe from time to time. Severely disappointing.

I think there's plenty of effort. But hey, believe it or not one time my fat blob self played one on one with Charles Barkley. I tried really hard. But.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
We are a soft team upfront and our players don't shoot well enough to win against bigger, stronger players. Agree that recruiting is the issue. Coaches don't make shots for players or make them taller. Making them stronger and and smarter takes time. Moxie is also difficult to instill in a player... I think Vital came with his moxie and tenacity. Also, Jalen continues to be one dimensional, his outside shooting is not there consistently. Polley and Wilson are also not better than most teams small forwards/power forwards. Both Polley ad Wilson have to be able to bring more offense. This game was a big let down... great start then wtf.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Cobb and Carlton need to take the ball to the basket with authority. It's a matter of effort and intestinal fortitude.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I think there's plenty of effort. But hey, believe it or not one time my fat blob self played one on one with Charles Barkley. I tried really hard. But.
Fair, but it can't be that USF's big men are that more talented than ours. Maybe it is the case, but it's scary to think our talent level has fallen that far.

Reaction Score
I mean there's a lot of talk about pride and effort - and I'm not trying to come off as condescending, but I've worked with some pretty amazing athletes in my day and when you're just facing players who are better or you lack talent, it's really easy for the team on the receiving end to look like they don't care. When it doesn't take effort on the other team's part to do what they want to, our eyes tend to skew to the higher talent level and wonder why the other team can't hack.

That doesn't explain tonight away, but we've been seeing the same issue for three years at this point. Sometimes it just is what it is.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
At this point, Jalen Adams is 2010 Jerome Dyson.

The question is: who's Kemba? Frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with Gilbert or Wilson, though there's still plenty of season to go.
Gilbert realized about 10 minutes too late all he had to do was drive and jump into someone and it’s a foul. If he started doing it when Rita and Collins did we would have held the lead. It’s up to Jalen to EITHER STEP THE HELL UP or let Al and CV start taking charge. IMO both have really good leadership qualities and Jalen...does not... there is still a minor chance to turn this year around and this is one of the keys (and rebounding and not fouling)

Reaction Score
Fair, but it can't be that USF's big men are that more talented than ours. Maybe it is the case, but it's scary to think our talent level has fallen that far.

It kind of has/hasn't. There's talent here. Adams has been a flame out and who knows why. But Gilbert is obviously really talented, but he's a first year D1 player for all intents and purposes. Ditto for Wilson. Those guys are legit. Polly can step it up, but he's inexperienced too and not that athletic so he can't do it consistently. Vital is one of those max effort that almost tries too hard sometimes and you just have to take the good with the bad. Those guys can do stuff.

What kills them is depth. There's almost no one off the bench that's good enough to play at a high level. And that depth issue really comes from the patch work job Ollie did two years ago. Then this past year in the transition, we didn't pull in much playable talent, either. So when you basically sit out two years of serious recruiting - when you're acustomed to the talent we've seen - that's going to hurt you - and maybe for longer than you'd like.

So you get this goofy limbo we have right now - where you've got really talented, inexperienced youngsters figuring their life out and under developed role payers who were really lottery tickets to begin with and a bunch of nothing after that. It's frustrating because they're at this place where everything hinges on your youngsters getting better as soon as possible and that's just asking a lot for any program minus a few.

Next year might be more of the same, but you'll have some talent that'll get better and mature and hopefully a lottery ticket that we have now gets a little better. Then the guys who are talented and starting this year, well the guys next year take their place but they're coming off the bench. Then you're in a spot where you can take a step forward. Get another recruiting class after that, well that's when the engine begins to turn over. It's just critical mass.

Reaction Score
Is it too early to blame the coaching?
I agree the team has flaws and I’m not expecting miracles but I think coaching is getting exposed too - there is a lack of toughness, discipline and hustle and no matter your flaws, that should be table stakes for any competitive team. I hope this doesn’t hurt the recruiting that @Chief00 keeps talking about. I keep waiting to hear about the Kofi’s and Achiuwa’s signing elsewhere and that Akok deciding to go pro and/or the others decomitting.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
It kind of has/hasn't. There's talent here. Adams has been a flame out and who knows why. But Gilbert is obviously really talented, but he's a first year D1 player for all intents and purposes. Ditto for Wilson. Those guys are legit. Polly can step it up, but he's inexperienced too and not that athletic so he can't do it consistently. Vital is one of those max effort that almost tries too hard sometimes and you just have to take the good with the bad. Those guys can do stuff.

What kills them is depth. There's almost no one off the bench that's good enough to play at a high level. And that depth issue really comes from the patch work job Ollie did two years ago. Then this past year in the transition, we didn't pull in much playable talent, either. So when you basically sit out two years of serious recruiting - when you're acustomed to the talent we've seen - that's going to hurt you - and maybe for longer than you'd like.

So you get this goofy limbo we have right now - where you've got really talented, inexperienced youngsters figuring their life out and under developed role payers who were really lottery tickets to begin with and a bunch of nothing after that. It's frustrating because they're at this place where everything hinges on your youngsters getting better as soon as possible and that's just asking a lot for any program minus a few.

Next year might be more of the same, but you'll have some talent that'll get better and mature and hopefully a lottery ticket that we have now gets a little better. Then the guys who are talented and starting this year, well the guys next year take their place but they're coming off the bench. Then you're in a spot where you can take a step forward. Get another recruiting class after that, well that's when the engine begins to turn over. It's just critical mass.
Very well put. I trust that Hurley is the one to see us through this process, but it hurts none the less seeing our storied program get out-classed down low by a team like USF.

Reaction Score
Very well put. I trust that Hurley is the one to see us through this process, but it hurts none the less seeing our storied program get out-classed down low by a team like USF.

And the other thing is - look.

These are great kids. They all stayed. Imagine what this would be like had we lost anyone really. And it speaks to Hurley's characters that he was so adamant that this be the team he rolled with. They believe in him. They bought in. They're here.

But they know better than anyone that they don't have the ammo. They do. I remember when I played prep hockey at Salisbury when we were an up and coming hockey program and we just weren't as good as say - Cushing was at that time. And we'd go up there - a team that played on a big rink built for speed going to a team on a small rink with guys who were huge, and we knew what was coming. And we went out and got our heads kicked in ruthlessly. And we moped a bit, or skated a little slower when their guys would get an open ice hit and some dude who was 6'2 without skates would scoop up the loose puck on a break away. You know it's coming, you can't do anything about it and you know it's going to keep on hppening.

And that kind of thing on a basketball court has been happening for three years to these kids. And part of Hurley's best hope with that is trying to gradually program that out of them. But that doesn't go away overnight and sometimes it never goes away.

Doesn't matter what his subs are, his system, none of it. And even when the guys buy into that can't quit attitude, i'm not sure the results will be dramatically different. Maybe a little better, but only a little bit.

It just comes down to talent and Hurley having the personnel that can do the things in his system he wants to without that kind of taint caked all over them. And hopefully they start to see results. He's rebuilt two teams and made URI a top 25 team. He can do it. But it doesn't happen overnight.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
And the other thing is - look.

These are great kids. They all stayed. Imagine what this would be like had we lost anyone really. And it speaks to Hurley's characters that he was so adamant that this be the team he rolled with. They believe in him. They bought in. They're here.

But they know better than anyone that they don't have the ammo. They do. I remember when I played prep hockey at Salisbury when we were an up and coming hockey program and we just weren't as good as say - Cushing was at that time. And we'd go up there - a team that played on a big rink built for speed going to a team on a small rink with guys who were huge, and we knew what was coming. And we went out and got our heads kicked in ruthlessly. And we moped a bit, or skated a little slower when their guys would get an open ice hit and some dude who was 6'2 without skates would scoop up the loose puck on a break away. You know it's coming, you can't do anything about it and you know it's going to keep on hppening.

And that kind of thing on a basketball court has been happening for three years to these kids. And part of Hurley's best hope with that is trying to gradually program that out of them. But that doesn't go away overnight and sometimes it never goes away.

Doesn't matter what his subs are, his system, none of it. And even when the guys buy into that can't quit attitude, i'm not sure the results will be dramatically different. Maybe a little better, but only a little bit.

It just comes down to talent and Hurley having the personnel that can do the things in his system he wants to without that kind of taint caked all over them. And hopefully they start to see results. He's rebuilt two teams and made URI a top 25 team. He can do it. But it doesn't happen overnight.
Couldn't agree more. His first years changing the culture at a new program have not gone well historically, but to be cliche we're just going to have to trust the process. It may hurt like a son of a b on the way, but in the end hopefully the reward will be worth the suffering.

Reaction Score
Carlton is following the Philip Nolan trajectory - a mediocre freshman eventually blossoms into a mediocre senior. We just have to be patient as he's not quite there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom