Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

South Florida killed us on the offensive boards. That was the key to the game. They played their style and tempo. We don’t have strong guys and lost the 50/50 balls.

At some point we realized with the refs calling it close - to take it to the rim. But it was too late and we were down by 11.

Chief’s goal was to finish the first half strong and get in at halftime up by double figures. We failed that test due to some late turnovers and not boxing out. But, give USF credit, they get after it on the boards. Thankfully, they aren’t a good foul shooting team, but they did improve in that area in the second half and it was all downhill from that point.

I still don’t understand the benefit of a 6-10 guy chasing a guard down 25 feet from the basket. Fortunately, USF did not take advantage of the Big on guard mismatch that this creates inside but a good offensive team would.

Both Carlton and Wilson need to go up stronger on their offensive moves. Cobb played tentative but having said that - he needs to play at least 25 minutes a game.

Rideau was the key to the game, he was aggressive and physically stronger than our guards. Over-all USF just outmuscle us and was more aggressive. Jacobs was right about Yetna. He murdered us. They got the crowd in the game, and Chief can remember years there when it was a UConn crowd.

Polley was a huge disappointment tonight. He had a ton of open looks and either turned them down or missed open shots. Your “best shooter” can’t perform like that.

Vital and Adams played good at times but not consistently. Gilbert played good defense.

Get ready to criticize me, but the first priority this year is recruiting. We need stronger, more talented players with good BB IQs.

Reaction Score
South Florida killed us on the offensive boards. That was the key to the game. They played their style and tempo. We don’t have strong guys and lost the 50/50 balls.

At some point we realized with the refs calling it close - to take it to the rim. But it was too late and we were down by 11.

Chief’s goal was to finish the first half strong and get in at halftime up by double figures. We failed that test due to some late turnovers and not boxing out. But, give USF credit, they get after it on the boards. Thankfully, they aren’t a good foul shooting team, but they did improve in that area in the second half and it was all downhill from that point.

I still don’t understand the benefit of a 6-10 guy chasing a guard down 25 feet from the basket. Fortunately, USF did not take advantage of the Big on guard mismatch that this creates inside but a good offensive team would.

Both Carlton and Wilson need to go up stronger on their offensive moves. Cobb played tentative but having said that - he needs to play at least 25 minutes a game.

Rideau was the key to the game, he was aggressive and physically stronger than our guards. Over-all USF just outmuscle us and was more aggressive. Jacobs was right about Yetna. He murdered us. They got the crowd in the game, and Chief can remember years there when it was a UConn crowd.

Polley was a huge disappointment tonight. He had a ton of open looks and either turned them down or missed open shots. Your “best shooter” can’t perform like that.

Vital and Adams played good at times but not consistently. Gilbert played good defense.

Get ready to criticize me, but the first priority this year is recruiting. We need stronger, more talented players with good BB IQs.
Vital was our best player again though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Out rebounded and out worked. This rebounding gave me flashbacks to the past 2 years. Terrible..
I don’t disagree, but our best rebounder couldn’t play. But what fueled this game was a horrible last 6 minutes of the first half with bad turnovers and we looked lost until the last few minutes. We are also missing a real floor leader. I wanted KEA to suit up.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Extremely frustrating game. There is no leader on this team. I think CV needs to take those reigns but the perception of it being “Jalen’s team” is probably holding him back.

Reaction Score
Extremely frustrating game. There is no leader on this team. I think CV needs to take those reigns but the perception of it being “Jalen’s team” is probably holding him back.

At this point, Jalen Adams is 2010 Jerome Dyson.

The question is: who's Kemba? Frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with Gilbert or Wilson, though there's still plenty of season to go.

Reaction Score
Again, this team just has too many question marks where it not only needs talent, but at least players who can be competent guys at this level. The talent we have is inexperienced and there's just too much expected of them to be able to carry the load.

Lump that in with trying to build an assemblance of culture and I mean - this is about what people should expect.

We are paying the price for Ollie's lack of recruiting and transfer patch jobs. Is what it is.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Out rebounded and out worked. This rebounding gave me flashbacks to the past 2 years. Terrible..
You said it well in few words. We got outworked and outhustled and therein lies the deciding factor. We lost nearly every 50/50 ball and one of the CBSSN announcers said it right, USF wanted this game more.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
We didn't get outworked on the boards.

We don't have players who can get boards.
Why are all of our big men so soft? I thought Sal was supposed to help with getting bigger and stronger which would equal better rebounding numbers.

Reaction Score
Quick rant on Jalen: he had no turnovers in the first half until he seemed to realize he hadn’t passed the ball directly to the other team and then proceeded to do exactly that. I’ve never seen a player give the ball directly to the opponent like Jalen has since his freshman year. It’s almost like he’s color blind. Then with 6 minutes left in the game he made that beautiful drive and got blocked because he did a triple pump while bringing the ball to his right hand (plus avoiding contact) because after 4 years in college he can’t finish with his left hand. A few minutes later he got blocked again while refusing to go to his left hand and avoiding contact but was bailed out with a bad foul call. He just hasn’t really improved much here during his career and is an underachiever overall. Now that my rant about Jalen is over, he was our best player tonight (along with Vital) which shows how bad everyone else was starting with the coaching. This was a pathetic night for uconn. USF is not good.

Reaction Score
Why are all of our big men so soft? I thought Sal was supposed to help with getting bigger and stronger which would equal better rebounding numbers.

Rakeem Lubin was really strong. And, well.

Cobb was a JUCO guy who has a high motor, can score the ball a bit and can't defend. Yakwe is a flamed out prospect who's the opposite. Carlton is a project. He's ok, but you can see why he's a project. It's a really flawed group. I mean it'd be great to teach them new stuff, but Cobb/Yakwe are last year players. Carlton is a little better than last year, not much.

Sans a couple of guys, everyone else is a one tool fool type who really aren't helping you if they're not doing the one thing they're good at.

Sucks, but that's just reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32