Chief’s Briefs - UNC Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UNC Edition

Reaction Score
You realize he’s been injured and he has been playing through it.
He's dominated the cupcakes. I stand by what I said. We need him to do some of the same in the big games. He'll have more opportunities and I'll be at 6 of the games to witness.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t judge his game based on current play due to
Injury.
With all due respect, I love the kid but he has a ways to go. He's dominated the little guys. He just has to get that dog fight like Spencer and Newton during the big games to propel us to banner 6

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The way some of the arguments are presented, it sounds as if a weak conference schedule (if we remained in the AAC for example) with a couple home games annually with two of St John's, Nova, PC, etc. sprinkled in would be more attractive than what we have.
No situation that involves us being in the AAC or some other weak conference is an attractive idea.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Free throw shooting from this team is an enigma.

Never seen a team have so many injuries to start the year—-need to have a chat with the S&C coach.

Solomon Ball made 3 pointers tonight. Dreams do come true.

Great game
You don't remember 2016/17? These are nagging aches, by comparison to those November season-enders only a few years ago.

72.3% as a team from the line is not totally awful. They shot 73.6% through 9 games last season, while also improving substantially by April, ending at >76%. The difference is who is shooting and how often. Clingan and Newton (82.4%) have attempted far and away the most FTs on the team. Spencer is 3rd with 28 (89.3%), and Castle would be much higher, but has missed 6 games (13-17, 76.5%). Free throws seem to be an issue, because Clingan, only 3 attempts behind Newton for team high, is only converting 52% of his attempts, which is only marginally better than last year.

1) For a number of reasons, rare is the 7+ footer, who also makes a living primarily in the post, to be a proficient from the line.

2) He is probably still recovering, from a basketball perspective, from the time off from his foot injury. Free throws, even for a 7 footer begins in the feet. From a purely observational standpoint, I don't think Clingan has much bend in his lower body at the line.

3) He's also been penalized during his time here with the Shaq treatment, where a normal foul is not called for him due to his size advantage. Hacks across the arms can take a toll.

A totally useless comparison is how Brimah, a 57% FT shooter in '14, hit the two most important foul shots of the season.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I love the kid but he has a ways to go. He's dominated the little guys. He just has to get that dog fight like Spencer and Newton during the big games to propel us to banner 6
Donovan played very well against top teams last season when he wasn’t injured. He shot about 65%, and dominated the paint.
Even while hobbled this season, they are 7-1 with double digit wins over UNC, Texas and Indiana.

Reaction Score
You don't remember 2016/17? These are nagging aches, by comparison to those November season-enders only a few years ago.

72.3% as a team from the line is not totally awful. They shot 73.6% through 9 games last season, while also improving substantially by April, ending at >76%. The difference is who is shooting and how often. Clingan and Newton (82.4%) have attempted far and away the most FTs on the team. Spencer is 3rd with 28 (89.3%), and Castle would be much higher, but has missed 6 games (13-17, 76.5%). Free throws seem to be an issue, because Clingan, only 3 attempts behind Newton for team high, is only converting 52% of his attempts, which is only marginally better than last year.

1) For a number of reasons, rare is the 7+ footer, who also makes a living primarily in the post, to be a proficient from the line.

2) He is probably still recovering, from a basketball perspective, from the time off from his foot injury. Free throws, even for a 7 footer begins in the feet. From a purely observational standpoint, I don't think Clingan has much bend in his lower body at the line.

3) He's also been penalized during his time here with the Shaq treatment, where a normal foul is not called for him due to his size advantage. Hacks across the arms can take a toll.

A totally useless comparison is how Brimah, a 57% FT shooter in '14, hit the two most important foul shots of the season.
Agree, his FT’s that go in is when he bends his knees more.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
But how far are we from Seattle?
West coast trips have always been beneficial to our program, especially when we face Gonzaga during the trip.

KeyWestUC

Southernmost UCONN
Reaction Score
Other than getting pushed around one time on the missed free throw and rebound/dunk by Bacot, he did a great job on defense.
thought Bacot was in the lane early on that one too!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very true and I’m surprised so many are ready to do that.
I'm surprised you're surprised. Injured brains impact thinking in a manner similar to injured feet impacting running, jumping and playing.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Agree, his FT’s that go in is when he bends his knees more.
When you are playing through pain the place and time you feel it most is when stationary. It like a clear mind thing. I don’t think he is ever going to be a 80% FT shooter but I can easily see him high 60’s low 70’s. Everything you are seeing from Clingan “ like not using his legs on FT” or his ability to go get ally oop passes is all related to his health. And because you can’t teach size he can still be very effective especially on defense. Against Bacot he was able to impact the shot just by staying vertical. I hope he gets healthy this year. Personally, I hope he does not even play on Saturday gives him 11 days between games. This game on Saturday is a perfect opportunity for Hurley to coach up the freshman who have not been playing. I am certain he is all over every angle and a top priority is the health of his players so if they are on the court then I am confident it is the best decision.

Reaction Score
Saw a post about this on Tuesday night that I couldn’t emphasize as I was riding NJ transit home. Someone said to appreciate the now as the “good ol days”. Cannot believe we are where we are the last two seasons considering where we were 6 years ago. Enjoy it now, this is unbelievably fun.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t judge his game based on current play due to
Injury.
Footwork, adding a shot to his repertoire, seeing him position himself on defense, these are things not impacted by fitness or injury. Just saying, as his skills develop, watchout. No problems with effort or toughness whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I watched Dauster after the game and he said Karaban showed him his injured finger... Probably not the first time he's been shown a finger. Anyway, he said it looked pretty bad. Hopefully he can get it right before the Zags.
Damn, I hope that isn't something that lingers throughout the year.

Reaction Score
Donovan played very well against top teams last season when he wasn’t injured. He shot about 65%, and dominated the paint.
Even while hobbled this season, they are 7-1 with double digit wins over UNC, Texas and Indiana.
Of everyone on here, I give you the utmost respect. Hated when you paused. Away from that, I agree with you. But I'll be patient and see what he does going forward. I just see how he dominates the little guys and he lacks the same grit against Kansas, Carolina and Texas regardless of injury and minutes.

Reaction Score
The “Samson can’t play defense” crowd has been very quiet. Huge improvement just in the first 9 games.
Truth is he couldn’t. He had a lot to prove and prove he has, couldn’t be more impressed. He was a wild card and he’s been everything and more of what we needed!

Reaction Score
Both DC and Sampson put in a ton of work in the off season. We will see more from them as the season progresses. Health is the wild card. Given that, we will see more from both our big guys. I'm pretty happy with their performance so far this season.

Reaction Score
Of everyone on here, I give you the utmost respect. Hated when you paused. Away from that, I agree with you. But I'll be patient and see what he does going forward. I just see how he dominates the little guys and he lacks the same grit against Kansas, Carolina and Texas regardless of injury and minutes.
Thanks for the kind words. I know it may seem that way this season playing injured and his size alone just overwhelms the cupcake teams. However, he doesn’t have his usual lift that’s needed against the Bigs top teams have.
Donovan's coming out party last season was in the NIKE tournament against top OOC teams. Bill Walton was covering the games and raved about him.

Reaction Score
I just see how he dominates the little guys and he lacks the same grit against Kansas, Carolina and Texas regardless of injury and minutes.
Take a look at his post touches. Like most bigs, he doesn't create his own offense (very hard to dribble in traffic at 7'+ without getting stripped). This years team is not as good at entry passing as last years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom