Chief’s Briefs - UMass Lowell Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UMass Lowell Edition

Reaction Score
Anyone else love the emcee at the games this year? I mean we went from the cheerleader with a mic to a DJ to eye candy with a mic to now this guy....
... and that voice and those skinny jeans. Who’s brother-in-law needed a job?

Reaction Score
Really like that Vital, Adams and Gilbert have shown ability to make three's from 2-3 steps behind line. Result is defense is forced to guard much further away which opens up more lanes and freedom to drive.

I’m concerned about Jalen from outside the arc. He was 0 for 4 last night. He missed 2-3 wide open attempts and forced another. From 16/17 feet in, he is dynamic. On the season he is shooting about 32%. He needs to improve and if he does, I think he becomes a 1st round pick.

Reaction Score
There is very little to take from games like last night. When a team is so inferior talent wise, the game ultimately turns into a YMCA type pick up game. Fast break, quick shots, sloppy passing, etc. I won't criticize our team defense as bad as it was simply because of the game itself. Games like this ultimately lead to bad team defense and a healthy box score. So be it. The one major takeaway I have was Alterique Gilbert. The kid is flying around the floor and come conference time, my guess is he will be every bit the 5 star PG of two years ago.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I won't criticize our team defense as bad as it was simply because of the game itself.

No. You can criticize it, because it looked no different than any game this season. Weve given up a LOT of points to some pretty bad teams all season.

The guys are playing hard, they will get better. Its a whole new system and Hurley is right to stick with it until it takes, even with bad results. But right now the overplay is doing more harm than good results wise. Thank god our offense is light years better. But the D is a major work in progress.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m concerned about Jalen from outside the arc. He was 0 for 4 last night. He missed 2-3 wide open attempts and forced another. From 16/17 feet in, he is dynamic. On the season he is shooting about 32%. He needs to improve and if he does, I think he becomes a 1st round pick.

Not worried about #4. He's shooting 56.5% for the season and over 64% inside the arc. Nice thing about a four year player is you have known abilities. I don't expect JA to shoot 50% from downtown but he can shoot and opponents know he can shoot.

Reaction Score
In limited time Sid looked out of place. Missed dunk aside he did what I'd fear he might do and thats just sit in the corner, not do anything to get himself open on offense, no cuts to the basket or the ball. He did this a lot at Brewster too. Also a couple lazy close outs on defense and his hands were never up. Again, limited playing time so a small sample size his debut left a lot to be desired

Reaction Score
Chief was hoping to see more explosion with Josh this year around the basket. In this game he has several inches on his defender but still goes up weak too often, he did make a few good moves but needs consistency.

In 100% agreement about Carlton.

After the first couple of games this season I thought Tarin Smith was the second coming of Lasan Kromah, bringing a steady, consistent and clutch grad-presence. But lately he's looking more and more like Antwoine Anderson with way too many bad shots, passes and decisions.

Reaction Score
Not worried about #4. He's shooting 56.5% for the season and over 64% inside the arc. Nice thing about a four year player is you have known abilities. I don't expect JA to shoot 50% from downtown but he can shoot and opponents know he can shoot.
Jalen shot 27, 35, 32 and so far this year 32% from 3 in his Uconn career. He ain’t getting much better at it but you’re right in that he can score inside the arc and dfive to the fim better than anyone else on the team. I wouldn’t look for a huge step up from him based on a really big past sample. AG on the other hand is trending well this year, maybe he really focused on 3’s as he recovered.

C

Chief00

In 100% agreement about Carlton.

After the first couple of games this season I thought Tarin Smith was the second coming of Lasan Kromah, bringing a steady, consistent and clutch grad-presence. But lately he's looking more and more like Antwoine Anderson with way too many bad shots, passes and decisions.

He won the sixth man award in the Atlanfic10. So he’s better than he’s been the last couple games but not a starter at the level we want to play at. He is great for the role we have for him.

Reaction Score
He was rejected by the rim AND knocked on his butt!!!

And how about that dunk by Jumpman!! A 0.5 on the Richter scale!! :eek:

Dude has like a 46" vertical, and he is 6"7", and kinda sorta dunked but didnt really dunk. It was the perfect compliment to Sid's failure to elevate and stimulate. I had predicted that UConn would cover and Kwinton would dunk. I got like 1.5 out of 2.

Walt Clyde Frazier approves of this message.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I need to give @intlzncster props for this one.

Credit!!! Let it be known, here and now, that Dove is a great man.

Even though you are jumping on my gravy train of likes, there's enough sustenance to go around for everybody.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom