Chief’s Briefs - Turn a Page | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Turn a Page

Reaction Score
So who sits? Adama gets early foul trouble and Clingan is gassed then what happens - Springs, Samson gets the call?
You realize Clingan played 10 minutes last game and averages around 14 minutes. Last game Adama and Donovan used up 3 of 10 available fouls.

Reaction Score
Are we going to get a Bill Murray "It just doesn't matter" motivational speech from meatballs during the tourney? or a peter venkman cross the streams play 2 bigs ?

Reaction Score
You realize Clingan played 10 minutes last game and averages around 14 minutes. Last game Adama and Donovan used up 3 of 10 w tell me available fouls.
You have all the answers. Now tell me who sits? You think Adama can guard a stretch 4. Bryce Hopkins? Foul trouble real quick. How many minutes has Clingan averaged in Big East games?

Reaction Score
You have all the answers. Now tell me who sits? You think Adama can guard a stretch 4. Bryce Hopkins? Foul trouble real quick. How many minutes has Clingan averaged in Big East games?
You start with 200 minutes, give Adama and Donovan 50-53 and then figure out the remaining 147-150 minutes. Hurley’s defense has resulted in Adama covering guards, I think he would do well against Hopkins. But, keep in mind Hopkins draws Big East officiated fouls due to using his shoulder and forearm. Nationwide it doesn’t work that way.
Clingan’s average 14 minutes this season. Need to get to 20-23 range. At 50 minutes, Adama maybe 28 and Donovan 22 minutes.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You start with 200 minutes, give Adama and Donovan 50-53 and then figure out the remaining 147-150 minutes. Hurley’s defense has resulted in Adama covering guards, I think he would do well against Hopkins. But, keep in mind Hopkins draws Big East officiated fouls due to using his shoulder and forearm. Nationwide is doesn’t work that way.
Too mathmatical an approach to what is not an exact science

Reaction Score
Imagine if Danny has been purposely withholding the double big for the tourney. The opposing coach would have a panic attack as no one would be prepping for it. That would be awesome.
It would require foresight, imagination, creativity and be a quick thinker ( in game adjustments), all qualities that the current coach does not have an abundance of unfortunately. The current head coach is one of the top five hardest working wildly successful recruiters in the business, unfortunately he’s lacking in other areas of the job. ( he needs a George Blaney type of assistant that he would listen to). JMHO

Reaction Score
It would require foresight, imagination, creativity and be a quick thinker ( in game adjustments), all qualities that the current coach does not have an abundance of unfortunately. The current head coach is one of the top five hardest working wildly successful recruiters in the business, unfortunately he’s lacking in other areas of the job. ( he needs a George Blaney type of assistant that he would listen to). JMHO
We have heard in reports that the Double Big has been debated by the coaching staff. It would be interesting if the public could know what arguments were made for and against and by whom.

Reaction Score
We have heard in reports that the Double Big has been debated by the coaching staff. It would be interesting if the public could know what arguments were made for and against and by whom.
So what type of offense would you suggest. Certainly not the 5 out offense we run

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are we going to get a Bill Murray "It just doesn't matter" motivational speech from meatballs during the tourney? or a peter venkman cross the streams play 2 bigs ?

I think the Old Yeller speech would be more beneficial.

Reaction Score
That’s not what I said, what I said is “only a major paradigm shift will win it all for us”. Also, “it is time to Implement it” (Double Big).
I have been saying basically that all season and tbe evidence keeps piling up. Sure, I would have loved that to happen in December rather than March but it never happened.

True, there is risk associated with any change done quickly, but it is time to roll the dice because without it, we have not been able to consistently win at the level needed to win the NC.
Case in point is the last 9 seconds of the last game... Call the TO and put in both the bigs to put in a rebound of a missed 3 pt shot, an intentional pass or short 3 point shot. I am still wondering why the TO was never called to set up a play.

Reaction Score
Case in point is the last 9 seconds of the last game... Call the TO and put in both the bigs to put in a rebound of a missed 3 pt shot, an intentional pass or short 3 point shot. I am still wondering why the TO was never called to set up a play.
And get a shot up quickly so if there is a rebound there is time to take another shot

Reaction Score
Have you watched any UConn games over the last month? I've been very impressed with the adjustments DH has made, both pre game and in game. Seems like you have some personal vendetta against DH. I swear every one of your posts has been negative and always throws some sort of dig at Hurley. He's got our team poised to make a deep tourney run, we are very lucky to have him!! Lets go Huskies!!!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Have you watched any UConn games over the last month? I've been very impressed with the adjustments DH has made, both pre game and in game. Seems like you have some personal vendetta against DH. I swear every one of your posts has been negative and always throws some sort of dig at Hurley. He's got our team poised to make a deep tourney run, we are very lucky to have him!! Lets go Huskies!!!
I believe I have noticed Hurley's in-game coaching becoming more versatile as his confidence in what the team has learned and can accomplish well has improved.

The team is learning what he teaches. As they achieve mastery, he incorporated into game plans.

I think that's what I have been seeing.

Reaction Score
So what type of offense would you suggest. Certainly not the 5 out offense we run
High//low post that also sets up for a double curl screen for shooters. Then you can rotate the Bigs by cross crossing and likely freeing up for an open layup if done right. Would also use have the high feed the post and then the post kick to a three shooter who likely would be open. The good possibilities are limitless.

Reaction Score
So you want to take away what makes us one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country? That would be our five out and have Adama feed Donavon who struggles to score in the low block? And I keep asking, who sits?

Reaction Score
So you want to take away what makes us one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country? That would be our five out and have Adama feed Donavon who struggles to score in the low block? And I keep asking, who sits?
How do you shoot 65% and struggle to score other than not getting enough playing time/attempts?

Reaction Score
You also realize if you remove both Sanogo and Clingan (go a true 5 out as you advocate) our offensive efficiency drops off a cliff: FG%
Clingan 65%
Sanogo 59%
Karaban 48%
Joey C 43%
Jackson 42%
Hawkins 41%
Newton 38%
Alleyne 35%
Diarra 32%

Reaction Score
You also realize if you remove both Sanogo and Clingan (go a true 5 out as you advocate) our offensive efficiency drops off a cliff: FG%
Clingan 65%
Sanogo 59%
Karaban 48%
Joey C 43%
Jackson 42%
Hawkins 41%
Newton 38%
Alleyne 35%
Diarra 32%
Who the heck is advocating not playing Sanogo and Clingan? All I am saying is the negatives of playing them together outweigh the positives. And for what seems like the hundredth time I ask - who sits if they play together? Or are you suggesting we play 6 players? Our offense would suddenly slow down.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A list of platitudes ought to do it.

Reaction Score
Because Hurley isn't a quick thinker thus the always too late in game adjustments. And he panics in high pressure situations and gets brain freeze. Look at how terrible his record in close games is. There's a reason for almost everything including this. Occam's razor would apply here. I really hope he improves but I'm not confident. Im terrified a potentially great season is going to go up in flames because the matchup with Pitino is the worst possible matchup for Hurley and UConn. And that was made possible by close loses to Marquette, Seton Hall, Xavier etc. JMHO

Reaction Score
Who the heck is advocating not playing Sanogo and Clingan? All I am saying is the negatives of playing them together outweigh the positives. And for what seems like the hundredth time I ask - who sits if they play together? Or are you suggesting we play 6 players? Our offense would suddenly slow down.
I already answered these questions, so please re/read my posts, it isn’t complicated. And it isn’t a net negative playing 2 of your 4 best players an average of 25 minutes rather than 20, which is crazy. You don’t go by numbers, but rather your feelings, which no logically presented case can change. You are entitled to your feelings but don’t confuse that with reality.

Reaction Score
Chief, please don’t confuse feelings and thoughts as people often do. My feelings are that I love my wife or are frustrated with your stubbornness. My thoughts are that it would be dumb to play both bigs together now after not doing it all season and the negatives outweigh the positives. And you may have given some explanation on minute distribution but if DC starts who doesn’t? If DC plays 25 minutes whose minutes does he take? If Adama were playing the 4 does he guard Hopkins, Fremantle, Kaluma, Prosper? Good luck staying out of foul trouble. Something that helps DC is that he comes in vs a backup center or a starting center that AS has worn out. And DC is gassed when he played more than 5 minutes at one time. Those are some of my thoughts not my feelings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom