Chief’s Briefs - Turn a Page | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Turn a Page

Reaction Score
It’s that time of year when what happened last week or this season, is irrelevant other than for seeding purposes. The guiding principles are the following:
1) Prepare for each long weekend like it is a season.
2) No celebration night after the first win of the weekend, only celebrate the night of the second night victory for that one night.
3) A new season,should bring new ideas. The time of debating the Double Big is over, time to implement it when it is most needed. Only a major paradigm shift will win it all for us, time to roll the dice regardless of what we should have done months ago.
4) No standing out of bounds before receiving a pass. Whoever does that should immediately be shown the bench. Allowing it, is an indicator that it’s ok not to have our heads in the game.
5) Andre starts the game on the baseline and let’s the game come to him on offense. No more schemes that put him on the 3 line pretending he’s going to open up the lane. Free him to do all the wonderful things he does (defensive stopper, rebound, assists, layups, push the ball). Also, a good 3 will come later in the flow.
5) Know who your First Team Big East guys are and run plays for them to get them going. Put our 90% foul shooter on the line and our 58% FG guy in the paint dominating.
6) Play the zone that may comfort Danny to play Double Bigs. Do I sound like George Blaney talking to Coach Calhoun regarding a zone?
7) Act like you have been there before. No fancy French pastry passes. A good pass is a simple catchable one that leads to a score. Know your teammates sweet spots, hands and vision. A fancy high velocity pass out of bounds doesn’t achieve our mission.
8) Move the ball, more your body and set sound screens. Know the shot clock as well.
9) Read the refs early, what they allow and what they will call. Make adjustments. Reaching is no excuse for fundamental defensive positioning with your feet. Keep the guy between the knees. Try to avoid mismatch gifts our high hedge defense gives our opponents. No two guys on one, while we leave a better shooter open. We should only switch from our man, if we have to. Mr Sanogo?
10) Enjoy and have fun! Love and respect the game.

Reaction Score
11} Perimeter D needs to challenge the 3 point shooter more aggressively.
12} Use all your timeouts, don't save them or put them in your pocket for the next game.
13} Wear your UConn gear gameday.
14} absolutely do not step in any cracks in sidewalks gameday. BAD BAD for the mojo.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
3) A new season,should bring new ideas. The time of debating the Double Big is over, time to implement it when it is most needed. Only a major paradigm shift will win it all for us, time to roll the dice regardless of what we should have done months ago.

I'm sorry, changing up our offense so dramatically at this point in the season when we're playing great basketball would be crazy. The argument for double bigs was earlier in the year, and it wasn't implemented. It would be a huge panic move when we've lost 2 games over our last 6 weeks, both by one possession.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, changing up our offense so dramatically at this point in the season when we're playing great basketball would be crazy. The argument for double bigs was earlier in the year, and it wasn't implemented. It would be a huge panic move when we've lost 2 games over our last 6 weeks, both by one possession.

Reading his argument closely, Chief would be 100% happy with a 1st round loss if we played double bigs in that game because…hey…at least we “shifted the paradigm” and “rolled the dice” like he said we should!

Reaction Score
Imagine if Danny has been purposely withholding the double big for the tourney. The opposing coach would have a panic attack as no one would be prepping for it. That would be awesome.
Would love that to be the case, but wouldn’t last long in Vegas with that thought.

Reaction Score
Reading his argument closely, Chief would be 100% happy with a 1st round loss if we played double bigs in that game because…hey…at least we “shifted the paradigm” and “rolled the dice” like he said we should!
That’s not what I said, what I said is “only a major paradigm shift will win it all for us”. Also, “it is time to Implement it” (Double Big).
I have been saying basically that all season and tbe evidence keeps piling up. Sure, I would have loved that to happen in December rather than March but it never happened.

True, there is risk associated with any change done quickly, but it is time to roll the dice because without it, we have not been able to consistently win at the level needed to win the NC.

Reaction Score

True, not ideal but if anyone thinks the point guard position or wing is going to carry us to a NC. I think you will be disappointed. Get the best guys on the court and Clingan’s +|- was off the charts last game.

Reaction Score
Down 2 points, 9 seconds left after a timeout, we have Sanogo on right side of the lane and Clingan on the left. You think our other 3 would not get an open look? Karaban, Newton and Hawk? Not taking a 2 point shot attempt is a mistake there. Totally agree with playing more fundamentally sound basketball. Passes that are turnovers will sink us.

Reaction Score
That’s not what I said, what I said is “only a major paradigm shift will win it all for us”. Also, “it is time to Implement it” (Double Big).
I have been saying basically that all season and tbe evidence keeps piling up. Sure, I would have loved that to happen in December rather than March but it never happened.

True, there is risk associated with any change done quickly, but it is time to roll the dice because without it, we have not been able to consistently win at the level needed to win the NC.
So if we go double bigs, who does Adama guard? Who sits? What happens when DC or AS gets in foul trouble?

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
17). Don’t fight with your teammates on national television
shabazz GIF by SB Nation

Reaction Score
We can play most teams 'as is', but double bigs vs Arizona or Purdue intrigues me if those matchups are in our future. Adama spends a ton of his time outside the paint as it is when the 5 man is an outside threat.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Winning Time.

Mush on you Husky dawgs!!!!

Reaction Score
So if we go double bigs, who does Adama guard? Who sits? What happens when DC or AS gets in foul trouble?
Adama has great footwork for a guy his size. Not a concern. In our high hedge defense he’s often ends up covering the point guard. Covering a 4 would be an improvement. Jackson, Alleyne and Karaban can all play the 3 and 4.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Obviously you didn’t either read it close enough or in an inebriated state.Try again.

Reaction Score
Adama has great footwork for a guy his size. Not a concern. In our high hedge defense he’s often ends up covering the point guard. Covering a 4 would be an improvement. Jackson, Alleyne and Karaban can all play the 3 and 4.
So who sits? Adama gets early foul trouble and Clingan is gassed then what happens - Springs, Samson gets the call?

Reaction Score
We still haven’t played a A -A+ game for a full 40 minutes. Played one against Providence the other but only for 28 minutes.
We play our A game for a full 40 we win

Reaction Score
I see it as just simply be rotating adama at the four as well as at the 5 with clingan. To give both those dominant players more time on the court. The minutes should come from the guards rotation. It’s simple and would just have double big for bits of time. Unless it worked well and no fouls. Leave them in longer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom