Chief’s Briefs - St Mary’s Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - St Mary’s Edition

Reaction Score
We are learning how to win and how to close. Our players are doing what is needed to win games. Although, I thought we subbed too early with 1:48 left.

Sanogo and Newton carried the scoring load early and then Hawkins heated up in the second half. Sanogo played well throughout but Clingan, Jackson, Karaban changed the game during the second half. Jackson and Newton combined for twelve assists. Clingan blocked shots, rebounded and set screens. He also went 2-2.

I thought St Mary’s blocked out very well and showed how you can linear rebound effectively while not being great vertical rebounders. But, eventually UConn wore them down as did a key injury.

In short, less High Hedge and I wish we had Double Big. Again Sanogo takes on the challenge of covering guards in the high hedge when both defenders could just as easily stay with the man.

But once the transition game got going off our defense it was lights out and then Jordan heated up with Sanogo and it was too much for St Mary’s.

Big win, congratulations to our guys!

Reaction Score
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Chief, sing it from the mountain top. Adama is not good at hedging. As you say, he often needlessly chases the guard and when he releases, he retreats with his back to the play and is then frequently out of position. I just don’t see what we gain.
Great win, just can’t understand why Hawkins has been so bad in the 1st half, nerves?
Would like better bb iq in end of game situations, just too many boneyard err bonehead turnovers

Reaction Score
We are learning how to win and how to close. Our players are doing what is needed to win games. Although, I thought we subbed too early with 1:48 left.

Sanogo and Newton carried the scoring load early and then Hawkins heated up in the second half. Sanogo played well throughout but Clingan, Jackson, Karaban changed the game during the second half. Jackson and Newton combined for twelve assists. Clingan blocked shots, rebounded and set screens. He also went 2-2.

I thought St Mary’s blocked out very well and showed how you can linear rebound effectively while not being great vertical rebounders. But, eventually UConn wore them down as did a key injury.

In short, less High Hedge and I wish we had Double Big. Again Sanogo takes on the challenge of covering guards in the high hedge when both defenders could just as easily stay with the man.

But once the transition game got going off our defense it was lights out and then Jordan heated up with Sanogo and it was too much for St Mary’s.

Big win, congratulations to our guys!

I'm wondering if Hurley gives Bobby Knight type speeches at Halftime.

Reaction Score
I didn't have an issue how early Hurley subbed. Frankley, I was shocked with 20 seconds left down 15 Randy Bennett was pressing a bunch of end of bench backups. The game was over, Hurley pulled his starters and main backups to pull off the dogs and you are pressing a bunch of 3rd stringers. Go out with a little dignity, not looking like a clown. He's a good coach, but he didn't need to pull that.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I didn't have an issue how early Hurley subbed. Frankley, I was shocked with 20 seconds left down 15 Randy Bennett was pressing a bunch of end of bench backups. The game was over, Hurley pulled his starters and main backups to pull off the dogs and you are pressing a bunch of 3rd stringers. Go out with a little dignity, not looking like a clown. He's a good coach, but he didn't need to pull that.
I was blown away with them pressing at the end.

Total clown move.

F Bennett and St Mary’s. Classless move.

On we go to Thursday!!!

Reaction Score
We had some very timely 3s at points in the game where momentum threatened to slip away -- right before halftime being the biggest. Alleyne also a big one early when they took a 4-point lead, and of course Hawkins to turn the game from competitive into a rout.

Reaction Score
I don't know. he puts in the guys who hardly get any PT in the final game of the tournament. What are they supposed to do stand around around while Joey C dribbles out the time? Press and they may get the ball and score etc. Enjoy their 75 seconds of NCAA Tourney PT. It also gave our end of bench guys something to do in their 75 seconds other than stand around.

Reaction Score
I don't know. he puts in the guys who hardly get any PT in the final game of the tournament. What are they supposed to do stand around around while Joey C dribbles out the time? Press and they may get the ball and score etc. Enjoy their 75 seconds of NCAA Tourney PT. It also gave our end of bench guys something to do in their 75 seconds other than stand around.
He still had some starters in. That's my issue with it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was a bit much. Crowd let them know about it too

pj

Reaction Score

Yeah, what's so undignified about playing basketball for another 75 seconds?

Reaction Score
Chief, sing it from the mountain top. Adama is not good at hedging. As you say, he often needlessly chases the guard and when he releases, he retreats with his back to the play and is then frequently out of position. I just don’t see what we gain.
Great win, just can’t understand why Hawkins has been so bad in the 1st half, nerves?
Would like better bb iq in end of game situations, just too many boneyard err bonehead turnovers
agree with this - we need to play a more shell like man to man especially against a team like Arkansas which doesn't shoot it well from 3

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I thought we subbed too early with 1:48 left.
It was actually more like 2:02 when we started to sub. But I want to understand why that was too early. It was 15 or more points at that point. What would be gained by leaving the starters in?

This seriously feels like a casual fan approach to winning a championship.

Reaction Score
Chief, I love you dude, but the anti-high hedge song is starting to play out...

Especially since we did better when we blitzed the ball screen when Sanogo was in the game. Like we did against Iona.

Reaction Score
Not after tonight's game. Three wide open layups in the first half while Sanogo was outside with his back to the basket.

They got most of their layups off of isolation. There was one where we didn’t rotate and Adama held on to it for too long.

Reaction Score
THIS. we are soo good at times, but these are the same 2 issues ive had all season with our philosophy. if we win its a quibble/whine, but as I said in other thread, if we lose with Clingan only getting ~10 minutes, thats bad coaching. DC is a force, and his future career performance will prove this out.... I hope Danny is spending some time this week figuring out a successful wrinkle to utilize Double Big at least for a bit. Overall great job though...Danny has us on the move

Reaction Score
Chief your the best. Agree with 99 percent of your slants.Maybe we will have our A Game sometime soon.

Reaction Score
It was actually more like 2:02 when we started to sub. But I want to understand why that was too early. It was 15 or more points at that point. What would be gained by leaving the starters in?

This seriously feels like a casual fan approach to winning a championship.
This is a team that’s blown leads in 2 minutes. Not going to focus on this after a great win and it obviously worked this time and I love when everyone gets to play - but just saying a lot can happen in two minutes, especially with turnovers and foolish fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom