Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition

Reaction Score
Yes, we do get hosed on call- on the road and now at home. But this shouldn’t be a surprise anymore. No one should be asking why. Jeff Goodman (for as much as we don’t like him) has stated multiple times that he has talked to BE refs and they are DONE with DH. Sick of his antics. So I don’t know if it’s a call to the big east to say cut the BS or an apology letter from DH. But it shouldn’t be a question why anymore. It’s unfortunate that not only do we need to worry about our players every game, but our coach and his attitude too. But we are where we are.

Reaction Score
Actually, we are the team were thought we were before the season started.
Sadly this is true. They are going nowhere in the post-season. Maybe they’ll win one game, but I just don’t see them going much deeper than that.

Daz

Reaction Score
Big East officiating is a mess and in crisis. Saw things in the first half I have not seen in 30 years, including an out of control ref going after a fan 50 feet from the court then trying to toss a fan for saying rabbit ears at end of first half from 30 feet away. It is not in the Security handbook how to handle an out of control ref who should be the one tossed. The inmates are running the asylum. Time for a new league commissioner.

Not much to say about the first half other than Hawkins shot over 60% from the field and 100% from the FT while the rest of the team shot about 30% FG and 50% from the line.

In the second half Karaban and Sanogo contributed as well. Jackson was saddled with 4 fouls.

We need to play much better and losing at home is terrible. We are neither defending or exhibiting ball movement. The refs were terrible and Hurley behaved. This 4 out offense doesn’t work. Our best defense today was that early zone. We had 38% more fouls.
The four transfer guards are good players supplying depth, but unfortunately none have emerged from the pack as a stand out. Jackson refuses to shoot except for the occasional toss at the basket. Hawkins, Karajan and Sanogo carrying the offensive load. A good top twenty team, back in the national discussion, but a long shot for final four unless something really changes.

Reaction Score
Very true — why is that? I understand why we can’t do the opposite on offense (the roster is poorly constructed with just jump shooters that mostly can’t shoot). But why can’t we guard the penetration? The high hedge makes sense.
This is what the Villanova game exposed to a certain degree even though I was hoping it was a 1 game outlier. UConn only shot 9-30 with so many wide open 3s. Other teams scouting UConn said “ okay, we can live with that these guys are not that great at outside shooting”. UConn should’ve shot much better then that considering how wide open those 3s were.

Reaction Score
I
How much would it cost to get Ollie back?
I don't know, but he's now is walking around with $11mm of UConn's money in his pocket...

Our talent is solid, but they seem to regress as the season goes along. It's sad - HCJC generally had his team get better and much tougher as the season progressed. Don't see that anymore...

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
We’re losing to Big East physicality, better coaches and Big East officiating. We have players that aren’t used to Authentic Big East fist fights and our coach hasn’t adjusted because he’s being a “ Nice” guy during these fist fights. They have to figure it out. Getting another big back in the rotation helps

Reaction Score
Foul trouble got in the way....some rough play and voila...we get an extremely strange disastrous outcome.
The fouls are truly dictating the game. It's destroying the flow, and just changes the behavior of how aggressive you can play.....before you know it, its not a game, but rather a clever display of how to get the call.
For this game you really have to disect where the screws fell off....you just can't take this talent and have this outcome against the caliber of this opponent......my god, what did I just watch?

Reaction Score
We have lost our identity.

It was our bench but that's gone. Was our 2 headed monster (DC/AS) but that's gone. Was our outside shooting, but that's gone. Was our defense, but that's gone. Was our ability to make runs in games, but that's gone.

What the hell is left?
We haven't lost our identity, our identity was a mirage. They need to quit yapping about "eLiTe dEfEnSe". They're literally making other teams' offenses better at this point.

Reaction Score
We don’t deserve to even mention the refs today, let alone have it be the first bit of analysis.

We were hot steamy stinky smelly dog poo from coaching down to most of the players.
Don’t disagree as far as the game - the ref made the opening due to two of the most bizairre interactions I have seen with fans in 30 years,

Reaction Score
Need some kind of reset. Maybe a lineup change or three. Hopefully they have some refs at practice that can help them understand how to understand court dimensions, understand how to set a screen, understand how to set up a screen. Coach needs zero tolerance for on court antics like his sideline mannerisms. Make some people “earn” their PT. Abandon the 1-3-1.
Two Bigs starting lineup needed. Change the dynamic. Guards are not the strength of our team.

Reaction Score
Big East officiating is a mess and in crisis. Saw things in the first half I have not seen in 30 years, including an out of control ref going after a fan 50 feet from the court then trying to toss a fan for saying rabbit ears at end of first half from 30 feet away. It is not in the Security handbook how to handle an out of control ref who should be the one tossed. The inmates are running the asylum. Time for a new league commissioner.

Not much to say about the first half other than Hawkins shot over 60% from the field and 100% from the FT while the rest of the team shot about 30% FG and 50% from the line.

In the second half Karaban and Sanogo contributed as well. Jackson was saddled with 4 fouls.

We need to play much better and losing at home is terrible. We are neither defending or exhibiting ball movement. The refs were terrible and Hurley behaved. This 4 out offense doesn’t work. Our best defense today was that early zone. We had 38% more fouls.
Newton and the other guards are struggling so badly that our starting line-up is returning to the 3-on-5 problem in the half-court that we had last year- (smart) coaches only need to worry about Sanogo, Hawkins, and Karaban and can effectively ignore AJ and Newton while collapsing the second or third man on Sanogo or sending help at Hawkins. Last year the issue was AJ and Whalley (both had a three pointer but needed their own zip code worth of space to get it off).

With regard to AJ, he could be an active participant in the offense but remains too timid about his shot. There seem to be at least one or two instances every game where he gets the ball outside the arc with -5 seconds on the shot clock and plenty of space and, instead of taking shot, passes it off to (effectively) a non-shooter like Diarra or Alleyne (for a bad miss or clock violation) or a well-covered Calceterra or Karaban (for a contested shot or clock violation).

Reaction Score
The four transfer guards are good players supplying depth, but unfortunately none have emerged from the pack as a stand out. Jackson refuses to shoot except for the occasional toss at the basket. Hawkins, Karajan and Sanogo carrying the offensive load. A good top twenty team, back in the national discussion, but a long shot for final four unless something really changes.
Not a top 20 team in reality, we have 1 win in the last 5 games. Top 20 teams don’t perform at that level.

Reaction Score
I actually can’t believe you’re complaining about the refs. That’s laughable. Our team legitimately sucks. And you’re complaining about the refs.

14-0 start and we’re a bottom half of the BE team. Funny how that works.
I think the 14-0 was a little deceiving. 6 of those games we win playing with 4 against 5. Yes we beat Alabama and Iowa State but that was in a tournament and those are always suspect given the back to back nature of the event and the early season when teams are still coming together. We have a sub par backcourt. Again. A front court that is at best confused. No semblance of an offensive scheme. A coach who is overmatched game in game out. The refs might be bad, but they are the least of our problems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom