Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

Reaction Score
I don’t know if another poster mentioned this before but on that last possession when we were up 1, why was Karaban and newton in the game instead of 2 better defenders : clingan and Diarra? Weird. Can’t think of a reason - especially Clingan

Reaction Score
One observation and one question:

Worst passing and defense in the 2nd half that I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching Husky basketball.

Why was DC not in the game in this last 15 seconds of the game to grab the rebound on a miss?

Absolutely the worst possible playing in a must win situation.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Luke but why is he effectively the head coach in practice tonight with Tom there?
Totally agree Chief! If I heard Tim Brando right, it sounds as if this was Tom’s decision. He thought it was a great opportunity for Luke to get some head coaching experience. In a normal situation. Tom would’ve been right. However, with us losing so much recently and with a golden opportunity to get things going in the right direction again, tonight was not the time to put someone’s personal experience ahead of the team’s best interest.

Reaction Score
That last Sanogo miss. What the frick?
He has zero hops to dunk the ball...we have seen it over and over. Sadly DC misses a good number of layups off the glass when he should be dunking the ball near to every time he shoots when down low.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I really don't get how people continue to want double bigs. What has Sanogo shown over the last month to make you think he's one of our best 5? He's not been good playing at his correct position and people think playing him out of position is going to help?

Clingan has to stop fouling so much, because our only hope of salvaging our season is him playing 30 minutes a night from here on out. Sanogo needs to come in only when Donovan needs a breather or is in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
We have these rotations and regardless of how a player plays we stick to them. That has got to change. It is also tough to beat teams when you turn the ball over much more than your opponent. Turnover tonight 18 for UConn and 9 for Hall.

A fellow poster displayed some data that showed Sanogo gets fouled 1 of 20 attempts in the paint. That is outrageous and continued tonight.

True he could use some better sell techniques but he often gets fouled and no whistle by the Big East officials, who have been a disaster this season under a very weak commissioner. When Sanogo misses a post shot, there is no one in the zip code to rebound without a Double Big.

First half, 3 foul shots for UConn and 10 for Setan Hall. With 7 minutes left in the game 8 foul shots for UConn and 18 for Hall. For the game short end of 14 to 25.

Hawkins, Sanogo, Clingan, Jackson and Karaban are our 5 best players and it is a no brainer they should be our starting line-up. Time is running out for our coaching staff to recognize this. How much more evidence do they need that the current approach is not working?

Having said that, I liked Diarra game tonight. He can break the defense down off the dribble, but needs to improve his FT %.

But where did our ball movement go? And there’s a big price to pay without having a double big for the rebound at the end,
Diarra had 2 points, 1 assist, 4 fouls and two horrible 3 point attempts in 15 minutes. What did you like?

Reaction Score
Jackson is not one of our 5 best players, sorry. He got torched on defense, turned it over with sloppy passes, and is close to a zero on offense. He does jump high, though!
Cue in Kwintin Williams

Reaction Score
Great Briefs Agree with you Chief in all of your observations as usual.
We were 9 and 9 in the BE in 10-11season and came back.

Reaction Score
Cue in Kwintin Williams
Agree with this. The ubiquitous fan-boying over AJ- from Hurley, media, other coaches- has jumped the shark. I get that he's a freak athlete but we're in year #3 and he's still undisciplined as ever on defense (spotty on-ball D, jumping all over the place like a pogo stick on every ball fake, and- despite the gaudy rebounding numbers- generally inconsistent blocking out, as repeatedly with Ndifo tonight) and a non-factor on offense once he passes the ball off to someone who wants to score (assuming one of his overzealous or overcasual passes- one extreme or the other- doesn't become a turnover). But he does have one highlight-reel dunk or block every game.

Reaction Score
I had Sanogo for at least 7 misses inside.......of course that's where 90% of his shots are taken, but still.
And all those misses were from 3 feet away, some forced.
Also at least 3, maybe 4, bad passes from AJ and TN to Sanogo and they weren't due to AS' bad hands.

Clingan 7 points, 6 rebounds, in 11 minutes and 4 fouls. They sure were very private fouls too. Unseen to most.

But think about this one: we had 64 points with 5 (Yes 5) minutes to go and lost 67-66.
Scored 2 (that's two) points in the last FIVE minutes.
Tell me no one on the bench could see or feel that happening and call a timeout to set up a play?

But, looking at it honestly, I'll repeat what I've said several times this year and earlier this week. We don't have a LEAD GUARD, someone who takes charge in the huddle on offense or defense.
Jackson reminds me of Shabazz the year after Kemba left and he tried to be the leader but no one listened to him.

DH is bringing in 5 more guys that are big (except Ball) and unless Ball and Castle are two take charge guys I'm getting the feeling there won't be a happy ending to next year either.

Reaction Score
I really don't get how people continue to want double bigs. What has Sanogo shown over the last month to make you think he's one of our best 5? He's not been good playing at his correct position and people think playing him out of position is going to help?

Clingan has to stop fouling so much, because our only hope of salvaging our season is him playing 30 minutes a night from here on out. Sanogo needs to come in only when Donovan needs a breather or is in foul trouble.
What evidence have we seen that Double Bigs has not worked other than fan forum opinions? With the exception of trying and having it work for 4 minutes against PC, we have not tried it. The strength of our team is our front court - despite all their faults Sanogo and Clingan are shooting around 60%, even 45% last night. This 4 out stuff is NOT working, LOL what more evidence do you need? Let’s go with our strength.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diarra had 2 points, 1 assist, 4 fouls and two horrible 3 point attempts in 15 minutes. What did you like?
He is the one guy who can go by someone on offense off the dribble but agree what happens after that is not always pleasing.

Reaction Score
Totally agree Chief! If I heard Tim Brando right, it sounds as if this was Tom’s decision. He thought it was a great opportunity for Luke to get some head coaching experience. In a normal situation. Tom would’ve been right. However, with us losing so much recently and with a golden opportunity to get things going in the right direction again, tonight was not the time to put someone’s personal experience ahead of the team’s best interest.
It needs to be about fielding the best lineup to win both players and coaches. When the coaches put someone’s “career opportunity” before winning, what does that say to the players? When I see Alleyne trying to break his shooting slump by taking quick three pointers rather than slashing to get to the line, I understand how that mindset got built better now.

Reaction Score
He has zero hops to dunk the ball...we have seen it over and over. Sadly DC misses a good number of layups off the glass when he should be dunking the ball near to every time he shoots when down low.
Ironically, the less minutes Sanogo plays the less explosiveness and energy he seems to have. I can’t explain it. However, it is amazing the threshold a foul has to rise to, in order to send him to the line. Every game he gets fouled on numerous attempts there’s no whistle on.

Reaction Score
Few things here and some very obvious - I’m no basketball whisper - TL: DR - WTF is going on with some basic things

1) We have to box out - its a lot to ask Hawk to keep their dude off the glass At points in the game but the basic turn and get your ass into your man works
2) Dead legs are a thing and good god it look like AS has hit the dead legs portion of the season - he’s having and issue elevating obviously
3) AJ simply has to go to the hoop - do not even care if he makes them
4) Stop forcing it to AS - its as predictable as the sun coming uo and goodness out guards are being baited like a veteran CB baits a rookie QB
5) We have got to understand where the double is coming from - is not like were asking guys to split the atom - a prime example was early in the game Hawk’s guy on the left drops to double AS and he turns into the double and ball OOB - we have to communicate there early and move the ball before the double makes it next to impossible to pass out of it
6) Offense is stagnant - plenty if standing on the perimeter - maybe that’s the plan
7) We turn the ball over like we get paid for it - ball security - we cannot deal with hard defensive pressure - we stand, we bring defenders to the ball, off ball picks to free up a pass catcher - drove me nuts as a lacrosse coach drives me nuts here
8) Why does it seem like we wait way to long to initiate and be the aggressor in the offensive end - We do not have to use all the clock that’s not a rule - ive not analyzed it so perhaps im super attuned to the clockand its only an issue in my head
9) Get the big man from Bristol on the floor for the last defensive possession

i get it this is like old man yells at clouds.

Reaction Score
Diarra wasn't good tonight. I do agree the only hope for this team is to play both DC and Sanogo together. And we need to play zone. this team can't guard
Zone Zone Zone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm all for this Chief. The starting lineup you outline is clear as day. Some posters here don't get it.

And can't agree with you more on the refs. It's gotten to a point where I'm fine being that guy to "blame" the refs. It's absolutely outrageous. There's gotta be some more good objective data out there that corroborates this.
Not the refs

ITS OUR COACHES
They are not coaching

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog