Chief’s Briefs - PC Editions | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Editions

Reaction Score
Hurley not adjusting to the Hopkins vs Karaban matchup which yielded PC a plus 16 and the conference trend of another massive team foul discrepancy led to the loss tonight.

Sanogo had 2 foul shots despite being fouled on nearly every touched. Totally disgusted with the inept Big East Office. Time for a new commissioner.

Give PC credit they got the 50/50 balls and out hustled us. We are out of our flow and need to get back to better ball movement again and quicker coaching adjustments.

One bright point was Hurley finally playing Clingan and Sanogo together. It worked well and we need much more of that. We were 9 of 13 from our center position but needed much more of that and more foul shots given the constant slapping.

Hawkins played well but Joey C has been fading and he needs to get it going again.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, Chief is steaming after that game, and deservedly so! Benedict really needs to reach out to Val on this. Ask her to review the tape and then talk to him. The foul discrepancy isn’t justifiable.

Reaction Score
Again, I think you are on point about most things, but I still disagree about AS/DC together for anything more than occasionally. Someone posted that it was +5 when they were in together. Don't know if that's true, but if it was, I'm guessing that was attributable to DC, not because they were in together. Nothing about them in together today passed the eye test. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but there was nothing special about it offensively or defensivly.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Hurley should absolutely have done a better job with assigning players to guard Hopkins, and with switching up defenses. He himself said Karaban would have a tough time with him, and, by golly, he sure did. I think Clingan could have been fed a lot more, and therefore could have contributed more on offense. And it also seems that he's the only one who really took the ball to the rim with authority, and he was practically begging for the ball at times. I think Adama could be more assertive offensively and either get some dunks or cleaner shots at the basket. Too many balls rattling around and bouncing off the rim, and too many bunnies missed.

While I won't blame the refs because Providence flat out outplayed us, there were several non-calls where the Friars traveled (included one key and-one from Hopkins), stepped out of bounce, or committed fouls. It just was not a well-officiated game.

You're right, Chief; we really need Calcaterra to contribute on offense again. Not long ago we were talking about how we had so many answers and weapons, but it's not looking like that anymore. We need to have enough threats to the point were defenders are not sagging because they're not concerned. Right now that's not the case. Newton has showed glimpses of his offensive abilities, and Diarra can also knock down a jumper and take it to the hole. Also, Karaban hasn't been as much of a factor over he past few games, especially these last two.

I will also say there were quite a few long offensive rebounds that just seemed to bounce the Friars way (even after a great defensive sequence by us), and just plain old "right place at the right time" moments, but they were more agressive, and when you are you tend to get the bounces.

A couple of days to do a bit of soul-searching and make some adjustments, and execute on Saturday against Creighton.

Reaction Score
Again, I think you are on point about most things, but I still disagree about AS/DC together for anything more than occasionally. Someone posted that it was +5 when they were in together. Don't know if that's true, but if it was, I'm guessing that was attributable to DC, not because they were in together. Nothing about them in together today passed the eye test. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but there was nothing special about it offensively or defensivly.
Sanogo and Clingan went a combine 9 of 13 or 69%, whike the team shot 36%.

The alternative was Karaban getting burned for -15 against Hopkins. At this point in the season incorporating Samson Johnson a perhaps talented but untested player off a foot injury seems a reach. He also needs to get stronger. Until Karaban physically matures strength wise he should be used in a shooter off the bench role against many match-ups.

Reaction Score
Hurley should absolutely have done a better job with assigning players to guard Hopkins, and with switching up defenses. He himself said Karaban would have a tough time with him, and, by golly, he sure did. I think Clingan could have been fed a lot more, and therefore could have contributed more on offense. And it also seems that he's the only one who really took the ball to the rim with authority, and he was practically begging for the ball at times. I think Adama could be more assertive offensively and either get some dunks or cleaner shots at the basket. Too many balls rattling around and bouncing off the rim, and too many bunnies missed.

While I won't blame the refs because Providence flat out outplayed us, there were several non-calls where the Friars traveled (included one key and-one from Hopkins), stepped out of bounce, or committed fouls. It just was not a well-officiated game.

You're right, Chief; we really need Calcaterra to contribute on offense again. Not long ago we were talking about how we had so many answers and weapons, but it's not looking like that anymore. We need to have enough threats to the point were defenders are not sagging because they're not concerned. Right now that's not the case. Newton has showed glimpses of his offensive abilities, and Diarra can also knock down a jumper and take it to the hole. Also, Karaban hasn't been as much of a factor over he past few games, especially these last two.

I will also say there were quite a few long offensive rebounds that just seemed to bounce the Friars way (even after a great defensive sequence by us), and just plain old "right place at the right time" moments, but they were more agressive, and when you are you tend to get the bounces.

A couple of days to do a bit of soul-searching and make some adjustments, and execute on Saturday against Creighton.
Agree, there were some long offensive rebounds to PC after good stops but they certainly got the 50/50 balls.

We will generally have the physical strength advantage or be on par with 3 players (Sanogo, Jackson and Clingan) but otherwise we are getting killed with shoulders and forearms, while the Big East officials let that go and allow all kinds of reach ins, holds and pushes on Sanogo defenders.

I haven been attending games regularly for 4 decades and there is an unprecedented issue with the Big East Officials against UConn players because of how the officials feel about Hurley. Over the years I seldom mention officiating in my Briefs, but this goes to the very integrity of the game.

Why is it ok for multiple players on a bench talk trash to Andre about his shooting in a game but then call a “T” on Andre when he gives it back once after a made shot?

We are in uncharted territory.

Reaction Score
Wow, Chief is steaming after that game, and deservedly so! Benedict really needs to reach out to Val on this. Ask her to review the tape and then talk to him. The foul discrepancy isn’t justifiable.

Definitely unprecedented. The national media has picked up on the whispering I have heard and outted both the conversations (Goodman) and numbers (Berson). Where it goes from here is anybody’s guess but the days of denial that there’s a problem need to end. The Commissioner needs to demonstrate some leadership and integrity now. UConn needs to publicly apologize for not removing Bouknight from the building after ejection. Better late than never. Hurley has to change his self destructive antics. Time for actions on both sides.

Reaction Score
Agree, there were some long offensive rebounds to PC after good stops but they certainly got the 50/50 balls.

We will generally have the physical strength advantage or be on par with 3 players (Sanogo, Jackson and Clingan) but otherwise we are getting killed with shoulders and forearms, while the Big East officials let that go and allow all kinds of reach ins, holds and pushes on Sanogo defenders.

I haven been attending games regularly for 4 decades and there is an unprecedented issue with the Big East Officials against UConn players because of how the officials feel about Hurley. Over the years I seldom mention officiating in my Briefs, but this goes to the very integrity of the game.

Why is it ok for multiple players on a bench talk trash to Andre about his shooting in a game but then call a “T” on Andre when he gives it back once after a made shot?

Agree 100% with this for last nights game, but based on what I saw last night with 6:17 left, this loss can be pinned squarely on Hurley. That is when Jackson hurt his knee, and Clingan had an easy put back. At that point Clingan was ruling the basket and getting almost every rebound, the score was 52-58. What does Hurley do? He leaves Jackson in and takes Clingan out, and puts Sanogo in. He should have taken Jackson out, not Clingan, our rebounding advantage went out the window. With Clingan and Sanogo both on the floor, it’s so much easier for Hawkins and Joey C or Newton to get open shots. This tactical error by Hurley cost UConn the game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

The foul difference was experienced the past 3 games. PC was in the double bonus at the 14 minute mark of the 2nd half, We get banged around under the hoop. Sanogo gets abused in the crowd, nothing. Same thing happens to PC and it's a whistle. So obvious on tv. Honestly, I rarely blame officials but lately? Foul shooting differential is astounding. I posted this a couple of days ago. It was an article explaining the most hated coach in college basketball by officials. Guess who. It's going to get more ugly.

Reaction Score
The foul difference was experienced the past 3 games. PC was in the double bonus at the 14 minute mark of the 2nd half, We get banged around under the hoop. Sanogo gets abused in the crowd, nothing. Same thing happens to PC and it's a whistle. So obvious on tv. Honestly, I rarely blame officials but lately? Foul shooting differential is astounding. I posted this a couple of days ago. It was an article explaining the most hated coach in college basketball by officials. Guess who. It's going to get more ugly.
It still is unfair to take it out on the players and integrity of the game. Ironically, they are making Hurley’s point for him.

Reaction Score

The players are playing “soft” like they did OOC and are assuming they’ll get the same calls they did before. Not an unreasonable thing to do, because they’re getting held and mauled every possession with no call. I can almost understand Newton’s hesitancy to drive, because he gets hit every time and doesn’t get anything from it (yes I know this has nothing to do with him jumping in the air without a plan)

Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll change soon. Goodman implied the refs have a problem with UConn, and they proved it last night and in the last 5ish minutes at Xavier. The team just needs to assume they won’t get the right calls, and finish through the contact anyway. Newton is 6’5 and was known solely as a scorer for 3 years, and Sanogo is the strongest player in the conference. It’s possible, they just need to change the mindset.

No it’s not fair but it is what it is. Get back to bullying people

Reaction Score
CBB also has to clarify the iso-posting up rule. Until they do, AS, DC and AJax should just lower their shoulder and not stop until they’re under the basket. Croswell essentially took a handoff, lowered his shoulder and Jerome-Bettis’d his way through Sanogo (who was then called for the foul of course).

Reaction Score
Definitely unprecedented. The national media has picked up on the whispering I have heard and outted both the conversations (Goodman) and numbers (Berson). Where it goes from here is anybody’s guess but the days of denial that there’s a problem need to end. The Commissioner needs to demonstrate some leadership and integrity now. UConn needs to publicly apologize for not removing Bouknight from the building after ejection. Better late than never. Hurley has to change his self destructive antics. Time for actions on both sides.
Per cbbanalytics, UConn's Free Throw Attempt Rate (% of Free Throws Attempted as a % of Field Goals Attempted)

Non- Conference 36.9% 89th Percentile in Division 1
Big East 23.5% 7th Percentile in Division 1

Reaction Score
We lost nearly every 50/50 ball in the 2nd half. Some of those caused huge momentum swings. I saw effort on our end, but PC outworked us down the stretch. Tough game - but will make us better in the long run.

As much as you love winning every game by double digits - has to get in your head to some extent that you can't be beat.

Reaction Score
I would also add that having Jackson on the bench for most of the first half was a huge factor. He really seems to be the straw that stirs the drink, so to speak.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When PC recognized that UConn was not hitting their plethora of outside attempts and fell back into a zone (particularly in the 2nd half), UConn was slow to react. The ball movement just wasn't there vs. the zone to open up good attempts within the flow of the offense. UConn was forcing it.

Keeping Karaban on Hopkins was a poor decision, but after Jackson picked up two quick ones and then his 3rd early in the 2nd half, they really didn't have much of a choice. UConn's other defensive stoppers are smallish guards.

It was a terribly officiated game and frustrating to watch. I don't know if what Goodman reported over the weekend is 100% accurate or if it is now a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I could have sworn I saw an official last night roll his eyes in front of Hurley. It makes me yearn for the days of Valentine, Burr, and Higgins. They had their moments, but at least they were fair in their terribleness.

Still doesn't have anything to do with Bouknight though.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Karaban has obviously struggled guarding the 4s recently, but where do you pick up his offensive contributions if you have to pull him due to defense?

The offense looks disorganized and teams know once Sanogo touches the ball near the basket he has one thing on his mind. I liked seeing the two bigs, but still the offense looked lost with both of them on the floor. It was not a disaster, but it also did not make a positive impact on the game.

Free throws are killing us. The officials were brutal last night letting the contact go on our end and calling everything on the other. Given there were some easy calls to make with stupid reaches and touch fouls, but there were also some phantom calls. How Sanogo did not attempt 10 FTs with all that contact boggles my mind. The team needs to play clean defensively because we are not getting any calls and it is apparent.

Reaction Score
DH did try writing on the back of his hand “Coach your team” earlier this year. I think he has to convince himself that he has enough talent that he simply doesn’t need to work the refs. He said it himself when he just started out at URI that when his teams weren’t very good, he felt the need to work every angle…and that he doesn’t need to do what he’s doing….and then does it anyway. This is 100% correctable by him and nobody else.

His answer to dealing with Jackson’s T was basically “I can’t say anything to him because I’m acting like a buffoon myself the entire game”

Blaming the 2 losses on the refs and the commissioner because they are “out to get us” is absurd. They weren’t out to get us when we were 14-0. 2 very tough road environments, 2 very good opponents and a 3rd one coming up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was all about the matchups, game prep, and adjustments
Not having DC in there 75% of the time was crazy. PC and Cooley had no good answer for him. AS hurt this team last night in his decisions with the ball. He knew they were going to double and triple down on him yet he hung on the ball way too long and his lack of a midrange game is hurting him.
Hawkins was getting beat up all over the place and DH seldom had the team running effective screens for him.
Running the same player rotations game after game is not good yet that's what we see from this coaching staff.
The PG situation (despite the DH preseason huff and puff about his portal acquisitions) is a huge issue. It appears Cooley got the better guards during the off season. Carter is the real deal.
I am not saying that the refs were not bad - they were -but to blame it all on them as many on the chat were doing last night is wrong. IF the refs were DH watching then one has to wonder why? Maybe they get sick of being the target of his childish name calling - it's human nature and easily correctable by DH himself but his behavior seems to have been absorbed by his floor leader/captain - not a good formula. I feel that UConn doesn't do enough of the things that draws fouls like driving to the hoop and driving a popping shots - no mid-range game what so ever from this team. In addition UConn did commit some really stupid fouls - slapping at the ball and reaching in.
The refs are not blameless if they are in fact concentrating too much on DH - jast as DH needs to stop the baiting, the refs have to clip the rabbit ears and concentrate on the game.
On to the next game...................................................

Reaction Score
Not having DC in there 75% of the time was crazy. PC and Cooley had no good answer for him. AS hurt this team last night in his decisions with the ball.
DC played over 50% of the game. 21 minutes...a welcomed sight.

Reaction Score
Not having DC in there 75% of the time was crazy. PC and Cooley had no good answer for him. AS hurt this team last night in his decisions with the ball. He knew they were going to double and triple down on him yet he hung on the ball way too long and his lack of a midrange game is hurting him.
Hawkins was getting beat up all over the place and DH seldom had the team running effective screens for him.
Running the same player rotations game after game is not good yet that's what we see from this coaching staff.
The PG situation (despite the DH preseason huff and puff about his portal acquisitions) is a huge issue. It appears Cooley got the better guards during the off season. Carter is the real deal.
I am not saying that the refs were not bad - they were -but to blame it all on them as many on the chat were doing last night is wrong. IF the refs were DH watching then one has to wonder why? Maybe they get sick of being the target of his childish name calling - it's human nature and easily correctable by DH himself but his behavior seems to have been absorbed by his floor leader/captain - not a good formula. I feel that UConn doesn't do enough of the things that draws fouls like driving to the hoop and driving a popping shots - no mid-range game what so ever from this team. In addition UConn did commit some really stupid fouls - slapping at the ball and reaching in.
The refs are not blameless if they are in fact concentrating too much on DH - jast as DH needs to stop the baiting, the refs have to clip the rabbit ears and concentrate on the game.
On to the next game...................................................
Hawkins has a mid range jumper, or he did earlier in the season. Same with Joey. Sanogo was willing to take a mid range shot in previous games but decided to constantly post up with his back to the basket even when given space . But you're right it was either shooting 3s, a handful attempts to drive or big post up play.

I also agree that the team isn't driving enough or didn't in last few games. Newton was effective in first half driving and the stopped in second. When Jackson drives, good things happen but he doesn't do it enough.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Sanogo is 2-10 from 3 in the past nine games. I never thought he would be a real threat from 3, but when he was hitting a couple it prevented him from just parking under the hoop waiting for a double team.

Sanogo needs to find that touch again from the FT extended to open up the paint. If he is able to do that the two bigs lineup can be a real thing, instead of just in stretches like we saw last night. Otherwise the paint will be clogged and our lack of penetration will continue due to no spacing.

The issues with the team in BE play can be fixed. We are still a dangerous team that poses huge matchup issues for just about any team in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom