Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - PC Edition

Reaction Score
We got to stop fouling them and letting teams back in games. Wont work against Marquette. Go UConn
Too many games UConn starts to rack up fouls, especially in 2nd half, which puts other team in bonus early. Don’t know why this is happening, but it’s going to hurt us one of these games.

Reaction Score
To quote Yogi, the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game was "deja vu all over again", while appearing to watch a replay of the 2nd half of the 1st SH game: complete breakdown in offense including bad passes resulting in TOs, missed shots, hack fouls by PC not being called, and missed contested rebounds/loose balls; all resulting in another loss of 17 points in about 7 minutes.

Needless to say I was screaming at the TV while watching in astonishment. Thankfully they had a 26 point lead, righted the ship and prevailed.

On to Marquette later today.... GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I didn’t like how early Hurley started pumping the brakes on the team to start killing the clock. Took the team out of their momentum and started playing too conservative. I can see where he wanted to save their legs a bit. But playing conservative and tentative aren’t a good recipe. ….survive and advance. But would rather dominate and advance.

It’s a W. 6:30 boyz!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Both the UConn team and fans showed up at MSG today. But, the team showed up for 28 minutes and made turnovers throughout.

Having a 9 rebounding advantage against a physical team makes a statement. That along with 50%+ FG shooting and a defense only allowing 30% range shooting makes for a win.

A 17 to 2 foul shot advantage (before intentional fouls)! and 18 turnovers (some force and some unforced) made a 25 point blowout anyone’s game.

I don’t understand when we got up my 26 why Danny took out our 3 best players with still 13 minutes left and allowed PC to shave the lead to 18. What was he thinking? Rest the guys for the next game? Let’s win this one first!

Hawkins (19), Newton (15) and Sanogo (10) carried the scoring load. The only advantage to bias officiating is it took off time on the intentional fouls. Jackson did what it took to win with steals, assists, and passes.
"The only advantage to bias officiating is it took off time on the intentional fouls. "

Can we please just stop with the incessant commentary on 'biased officiating '?! It doesn't add any value to the discussion, and we can do better as UConn fans. Beyond that, I always enjoy reading your briefs.

Reaction Score
You guys that think we should call time outs every time something goes south. You do realize that each team gets 4 time outs per game and one needs to be called in the first half. And a good coach should save one for end game situations.

Reaction Score
Bottom line…no one is good enough to turn the ball over 18-20 times and not have it kill them eventually.
That is the thing that tapers my March optimism. And of course, one of them was a guy standing out of bounds when he received a pass. George Blaney years ago now, said he never recalled doing that as a player, how does that happen at least once per game?

The other thing is, the best pass is one that’s caught and leads to a score. You don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty.

Reaction Score
"The only advantage to bias officiating is it took off time on the intentional fouls. "

Can we please just stop with the incessant commentary on 'biased officiating '?! It doesn't add any value to the discussion, and we can do better as UConn fans. Beyond that, I always enjoy reading your briefs.
Until it changes in the numbers, you will hear it from me. Danny changed several games ago now and it is time for some integrity not personal animosity by the stripes. Very unprofessional.

Reaction Score
I asked a question earlier in the season when there was a lot of guys stepping out of bounds about a change in the court, and was told that the 3 point line was moved closer to the side line and I believe it is causing guys to miss judge the court.

Reaction Score
I am glad UConn won, but I hated the last 12 minutes of that game and playing like that could get this team bounced in the NCAAT. Look at what Seton Hall did in their game at PC where they blew them out by 24. No I am not saying I wish UConn is Seton Hall or that Seton Hall is better than UConn, that's laughable.

But Seton Hall when they built the big lead of 20 + points at PC, they never took their foot off the gas. So they never got out of rythmn from running their offense and the big thing was they didn't turn the ball over (UConn had way too many). Also, they packed the D into the paint and forced PC to shoot from beyond the arc where they clearly didn't have their shooting touch, Shaheen and the players recognized this. This prevented Hopkins and others from doing their usual kamikaze drives into the paint and initiating contact and doing their flopping and flailing to get foul calls and go to the line. If UConn did this, they would have won by 20+ as well

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I blame the first 8 points trimmed off the lead on very biased officiating, the next 4 points on Hurley for not calling timeout when Newton got hurt on the dunk, and then the next 9 points on some very sloppy turnovers. 3 or 4 time they just passed the ball to the wrong team. 3 of those by Andre Jackson.
But I give a lot of credit to the stellar play that built a massive lead, and their composure to knock down several big 3s when all the momentum was against them.

The officials should have stopped the game, just like they did when the DePaul kid started limping late in their game with Xavier tonight, and just like they do whenever there's a break in action when a player is clearly hurt.

You guys that think we should call time outs every time something goes south. You do realize that each team gets 4 time outs per game and one needs to be called in the first half. And a good coach should save one for end game situations.
Agree with @Scottobot except where @Excalibur points out what should have happened and why Hurley didn't use a timeout and @ucp990411 explanation why it's good coaching he didn't. And it turns out we needed that last time out at the end of the game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This was the first game I felt Adama was rattled. Normally he is far more sure handed.

Hope Donavan can snap out of his funk. Ever since he got called for a flagrant 1 and got nothing called for getting a tooth knocked out the kid has struggled relative to earlier in the season.

The third foul on Alex early in the second half hurt a lot. Need him on the floor as much as possible to be a floor general plus it eliminates the need for Andre to cover the four as much as he had to yesterday. It wears him out end of games. Hard to say how much of those end of game turnovers by him were fatigue or Andre zoning out because he gets down on himself.

Tristen and Andre are more than capable to run a half court offense. Tristen is getting jobbed by the refs every game because of their bias against Hurley. His numbers would be significantly up if the refs called all the fouls committed on him.

Reaction Score
I didn’t like how early Hurley started pumping the brakes on the team to start killing the clock. Took the team out of their momentum and started playing too conservative. I can see where he wanted to save their legs a bit. But playing conservative and tentative aren’t a good recipe. ….survive and advance. But would rather dominate and advance.

It’s a W. 6:30 boyz!!!!!!

If anything, I thought that we took way too many shots way too early in the shot clock. A couple of really bad ones happened to go in. Those shots were fools gold, and led to us jacking more early threes as Providence cut into the lead.

Once the lead got down to about 10, we started to take the air out of the ball on the possessions that we were actually able to run any offense at all

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The reality is we had no business being up by 26 against a team as good as Providence in a Tournament game. It’s scary how good we are. But I think a lot of people were projecting a UConn win by around 7 points before the game. It’s just that no one predicted the game would go the way it did.
No business? Really?

UConn beat them by 18 in Storrs two weeks ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is the thing that tapers my March optimism. And of course, one of them was a guy standing out of bounds when he received a pass. George Blaney years ago now, said he never recalled doing that as a player, how does that happen at least once per game?

The other thing is, the best pass is one that’s caught and leads to a score. You don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty.

I know it irks the crap out of the pom pom brigade here, but they are imbeciles.

It’s absolutely the biggest concern about this team.

Hurley constantly mentions the turnovers in the post-game, but it’s an issue that we have a limited ability to correct - the fact of the matter is that we constantly have people who should not be expected to handle the ball against pressure handling the ball.

I think Sanogo had three turnovers in the last six minutes, or something like that.

In a situation like the PC comeback, we just do not have the player on the roster who can take care of the ball and just make sure it gets safely to the front court.

DH has made huge strides with his temperament during games, managing the game, etc. Roster management is next. Go get a guard.

Reaction Score
The officials should have stopped the game, just like they did when the DePaul kid started limping late in their game with Xavier tonight, and just like they do whenever there's a break in action when a player is clearly hurt.
Absolutely, Newton should have went to floor when it was our inbounds

Reaction Score
No business? Really?

UConn beat them by 18 in Storrs two weeks ago.
You missed the point. In a Tournament game. I don’t care what happened two weeks ago. The Tournament brings out the best in everyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom