Chief’s Briefs - Monmouth Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Monmouth Edition

C

Chief00

First, the Business side - take a million from the additional $40 million, given to the clowns who run the XL by the State of CT, and spend it on ticket takers and security scanners. It’s totally an embarrassment, the length of the lines for 7,000 fans, due to poor processes and understaffing the key function of getting people into the building. If the clueless folks, who run things were good business people, they would realize they could make the money up in concessions, if folks got into the building quicker.
- Now the basketball side - we lose two seven point leads by jacking up threes and not using a timeout until Monmouth ties the game. KO has got to call the timeout earlier.
- I thought Anderson did a good job the second half on the Monmouth player who went off the first half. He was talking a lot of trash and I am glad someone took the challenge.
- Cobbs ankle looked really bad - not much mobility and it likely won’t be much better Tuesday.
- Big Dave, if he has a role, it would have been today. They had some big guys with not much skill but a lot of weight. Dave, unfortunately, did not impress.
- I have been tough love on Adams but he really stood out tonight as our best player.
- I like Vital but I could not understand his backcourt foul with 3.4 seconds left and us up by 3. Otherwise he made some good plays.
- KO is starting to design some action off penetrations - the other 4 guys are just not standing on the 3 line. A guy is coming to the basket from the wing and another guy is coming across the court to the weak side corner or wing.
- Memo to Jeff Jacobs - Jim Calhoun left with about 3:38 left in the game - please don’t throw a hissy fit. He was simply going to spend time with his family and not to make a basketball statement.
- I think Carlton will show steady improvement. While I like Diarra’s energy, at 6-5 he is at a size disadvantage. However, he had a nice block and got some rebounds.

Time to celebrate another OT win. I know the casual fans will say we should win by 30 but I always respect the opponents and cherish a hard earned win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Vital’s foul was the right play in my opinion but he seemed upset that he didn’t get the steal.

Anderson is a nice player but it was frustrating to watch him play the entire game without getting a break because he can’t create. Without Gilbert, Adams is our only creator and he is best at creating for himself.

I thought the offense ran some nice sets today but the cutting is too slow and the screens aren’t great.

David O sucks

Adams is a master of the right handed finish from the left side.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Anderson has to square up better with his treys. His feet point just to the left of the basket so he has to shoot across his body slightly. The team has to learn that they will get better looks and rebound better when they move the ball around. Make the defense work, make the defense stretch and get pulled around the half court. The times when our offense stalled is when we settled for quick shots. We don't have the pure shooters to play that way. When we moved the ball diagonally our offense clicked.

Reaction Score
Vital’s foul was the right play in my opinion but he seemed upset that he didn’t get the steal.

Anderson is a nice player but it was frustrating to watch him play the entire game without getting a break because he can’t create. Without Gilbert, Adams is our only creator and he is best at creating for himself.

I thought the offense ran some nice sets today but the cutting is too slow and the screens aren’t great.

David O sucks

Adams is a master of the right handed finish from the left side.

Actually CV was upset because he didn't think he fouled, and watching it over the ref seemed to assume he wanted to because there wasn't much there.

Reaction Score
It’s so stupid that Calhoun leaves with 3:38 left.

This is the critical 3:38 of family time?

Just either stay home or stay. Giving everyone a reason to devine his motivations is stupid.

You’re an idiot. The man can come and go whenever he wants. And did you ever think that he might be leaving so that he’s not in the awkward position of having to be on the receiving end of fans asking him to come back and save the program or worse, and far more likely, having a media member ask a question for which there is no good answer? Of course you didn’t.

And I can guarantee you that he gives not one what you or anyone else thinks about it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You’re an -ing idiot. The man can come and go whenever he wants. And did you ever think that he might be leaving so that he’s not in the awkward position of having to be on the receiving end of fans asking him to come back and save the program or worse, and far more likely, having a media member ask a question for which there is no good answer? Of course you didn’t.

HE FACKING SAT WITH THE MEDIA YOU FACKING MORAN.

Before you call anyone an idiot yank your facking head out of your facking arse.

C

Chief00

It’s so stupid that Calhoun leaves with 3:38 left.

This is the critical 3:38 of family time?

Just either stay home or stay. Giving everyone a reason to devine his motivations is stupid.

He paid his dues, he can come and go as he pleases as far as I am concerned . UConn, on the other hand, may expect him to attend games? He is still a UConn employee.

Reaction Score
No dipshit. He sat with UConn administration. The media is in the upper level has been for a few seasons. And the LAST place he’d sit is with the media - he’d never put himself in that position. Why do you think he hasn’t been quoted much the last few years. Good try though

Reaction Score
Actually CV was upset because he didn't think he fouled, and watching it over the ref seemed to assume he wanted to because there wasn't much there.

Oh ok. Well I’m glad the ref called it. I think fouling is the right play there to take away the chance of a game tying 3, especially when we seem to have pretty bad luck overall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He paid his dues, he can come and go as he pleases as far as I am concerned . UConn, on the other hand, may expect him to attend games? He is still a UConn employee.

He could wizz on the court and you’d celebrate it.

You love when he leaves early like this and leaves the question open why he did it.

Then you can pretend he told you it was for family time and it leads people to believe he’s frustrated by what he sees.

Win Win!!

Reaction Score
Oh ok. Well I’m glad the ref called it. I think fouling is the right play there to take away the chance of a game tying 3, especially when we seem to have pretty bad luck overall.

Only thing though on that play he dribbled off his back leg and OOBs we would've had the ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
55FB125E-949E-4509-99C5-1DF8F24A5294.jpeg
No dipshit. He sat with UConn administration. The media is in the upper level has been for a few seasons. And the LAST place he’d sit is with the media - he’d never put himself in that position. Why do you think he hasn’t been quoted much the last few years. Good try though

Here he is - look at that UConn administration surrounding him. He is all of four seats from the woman from SNY.

C

Chief00

HE FACKING SAT WITH THE MEDIA YOU FACKING MORAN.

Before you call anyone an idiot yank your facking head out of your facking arse.
While on Calhoun - who was the guy in the purple sweater he got in an argument with tonight and at the end showed him the front of his hand and pointed to his N.C. rings? Something like - if you know so much - how many championships have you won?

C

Chief00

View attachment 26638

Here he is - look at that UConn administration surrounding him. He is all of four seats from the woman from SNY.
Three seats away - That’s the purple sweater guy he got in a friendly argument with - who is he?

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd like to believe that late-game situations that are close probably get him worked up beyond belief. That's probably just something he can't overcome. And at his age, I would prefer that he doesn't become a patient in the Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center at UConn Med.

But I do take Whaler's point from the standpoint that folks love to make a big deal about things they don't understand...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The real reason Calhoun leaves games early is that he sometimes struggles to keep his balance when walking and prefers to leave when most other people are still sitting so he doesn't bump into a 1,000 people on his way out the door.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd like to believe that late-game situations that are close probably get him worked up beyond belief. That's probably just something he can't overcome. And at his age, I would prefer that he doesn't become a patient in the Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center at UConn Med.

But I do take Whaler's point from the standpoint that folks love to make a big deal about things they don't understand...

I don’t care what he does other than when he does that it leads to people asking why.

We’ve got enough problems his hand picked successor doesn’t need the optics.

Reaction Score
He’s next to Dave Kaplan from UConn’s Video Dept. That woman gets that seat as the roving SNY live broadcast sideline reporter. Kinda hard for her to do her job from upstairs. In case you aren’t aware (and clearly you aren’t) she’s “working” for UConn cuz it’s the official tv broadcast of UConn basketball. And she’s not allowed to “interview”Jim Calhoun without his permission. And no member of media is going to come down and interview him during the game. After, when they’re hustling to the locker room and media center? Yup. And, as others have said, he doesn’t need to be delayed getting out of there.

Just stop - the optics that KO has created are really all that anyone cares about - except for you.

Reactions: pj
C

Chief00

The real reason Calhoun leaves games early is that he sometimes struggles to keep his balance when walking and prefers to leave when most other people are still sitting so he doesn't bump into a 1,000 people on his way out the door.
Probably some truth to that with his joint replacements.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don’t care what he does other than when he does that it leads to people asking why.

We’ve got enough problems his hand picked successor doesn’t need the optics.

I agree with you. Folks on the board have brought this very thing up in the past to try to use it as an indictment of Ollie, even though they don't have the slightest clue why he's leaving. My guess is his health...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He’s next to Dave Kaplan from UConn’s Video Dept. That woman gets that seat as the roving SNY live broadcast sideline reporter. Kinda hard for her to do her job from upstairs. In case you aren’t aware (and clearly you aren’t) she’s “working” for UConn cuz it’s the official tv broadcast of UConn basketball. And she’s not allowed to “interview”Jim Calhoun without his permission.

You’re wrong on this. But you can keep arguing. I know ALOT more than you

Yep you KNOW so much that you are speculating the stupidest reasons in the world for him to leave.

The four rows of media behind them - let me guess none of them are media either?

You posited that someone might ask him a question. Now you are talking about ‘interviews’ that he has to grant permission for?

He doesn’t have answers for these questions. How do they let him out in public!

Reaction Score
Yep you KNOW so much that you are speculating the stupidest reasons in the world for him to leave.

The four rows of media behind them - let me guess none of them are media either?

You posited that someone might ask him a question. Now you are talking about ‘interviews’ that he has to grant permission for?

He doesn’t have answers for these questions. How do they let him out in public!
I do know. I know quite well. And I know why he leaves. So shut it,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom