Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition

Reaction Score
Take a look at how Nova play. They are with the times with 4-5 capable shooters on the floor at all times, capable of hitting with a hand in their face. Our style is a very old school, wear you down where as they play to their strengths. I would love to see some changes and new faces that can help us solve the knockdown shooter crisis that we are having

Reaction Score
Chief-

A very well though out recap of the game. More level headed than my early reactions, to be honest.

After reflecting on what happened, Maryland was more prepared and they did what they wanted to do.

I didn’t see much flow and sets weren’t run very well. Maybe this was accentuated by the fact they missed nearly every early shot.

As the game went on, we took too many 3’s and missed most of them. When it appeared we were clawing our way back with around 5 minutes left, we missed free throws.

It was just the worst time to have their worst game. Some people say look at the rebounding, but Maryland had 25 defensive rebounds. That’s 25 missed offensive opportunities, which is extremely high.

The debate will go out about Bouknight and going to the NBA. He’s an interesting player in that regard because in years past, the players that went to the NBA early were proven college studs and were clearly on the up swing. I don’t think Bouk compares to those guys. However, understanding who gets drafted in the NBA now, you’d realize he’s going. More so on what he might do rather than what he has done. I just don’t see his game now translating into anything at the NBA level for several years.

Next year will be a rough one. Losing 3 of the top 5 scorers. I really think the offense needs to be predicated on Sanogo getting many touches on offense. If not to score, thrown to him with the threat of scoring to kick out to a guard for a shot. I think he can be a beast with maturity. He’s gotta learn to not get cheap fouls, but I think that will come in time.

Gaffney was the only positive last night. I think he showed promise and can hopefully improve on that.

Still worried about shooting. We really don’t have any shooters. That makes an inside game with Sanogo even more important.

On to next season. Sorry this one ended so miserably.
I agree with everything and as far as Sanogo next year, if he can recognize when to quickly pass the ball out of the low post to open players on the perimeter, it will open up everything. He was very slow to do that this year but experience and coaching will only help him but we must have guys that can shoot the ball or we are in trouble.

Reaction Score
chief, your briefs were washed and pressed. Well done!
LOL - Thank you. Wish I could do another one tonight, because that would mean we won. Instead we have to feel the pain, to make us do better next time.

Reaction Score
Idk. We missed a million gimmes. If we're gonna criticize the game plan, we need to factor in that making these 2 footers would have made the coaching look much better...
Except we've missed a million gimmes all year. It wasn't just this game.

Reaction Score
Take a look at how Nova play. They are with the times with 4-5 capable shooters on the floor at all times, capable of hitting with a hand in their face. Our style is a very old school, wear you down where as they play to their strengths. I would love to see some changes and new faces that can help us solve the knockdown shooter crisis that we are having
Jay W has been quoted as saying they like smart players who can shoot-Part of the profile they look for when recruiting .

Nova is still playing with four shooters and a third string PG

Reaction Score
Jay W has been quoted as saying they like smart players who can shoot-Part of the profile they look for when recruiting .

Nova is still playing with four shooters and a third string PG
The best play ends up with the ball in the basket. To do that often enough you need shooters, who can move the ball to the open man.

Reaction Score
hit a few foul shots and make a few of those bunnys, would have been right down the wire with them. tbh, they were not lighting it up, Huskies were just so dreadful....

Reaction Score
hit a few foul shots and make a few of those bunnys, would have been right down the wire with them. tbh, they were not lighting it up, Huskies were just so dreadful....
True.
NOTE: I plan to close out this edition of the Briefs at 5pm tomorrow. So if anyone has any last thoughts get them in by then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except we've missed a million gimmes all year. It wasn't just this game.

Alabana has 11 offensive rebounds against Maryland but 19 second chance points. What a contrast to our inability to capitalize on second opportunities.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom