Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Maryland Edition

Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 32% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 30% 3FG compared to 50% for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I thought Gaffney was the one guy who brought his offensive game. He seems to have the ability to drive by his defender and finish better than Cole. We should have played him more the first half.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. The team had 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo.
Chief did notice that when guys came in off the bench on defense they don’t always play their guy right. Thinking Gaffney playing under the scene on Ayala shooting a 3 and Jackson not keeping the ball handler between his knees and allowing him the angle to drive.

Chief thought our biggest matchup advantage was Sanogo since Bouknight had a star defender on him who had lots of help but 2 early fouls killed that and MD created a healthy lead with Adama out of the game. The trend of UConn’s Bigs committing fouls away from the basket continues with Whaley fouling a 3 baller. If we are going to play small ball at the end why bench Sanogo with 2 fouls early? Makes no sense.

On offense, UConn players seem to lack self awareness. With Whaley hosting 3’s and offensive rebounders rushing the putbacks on the offensive rebound. Chief can’t tell you what offense we ran. Totally disjointed. But, also give lots of credit to Maryland’s defense.

Ayala, Wiggins and Scott were Maryland’s Big 3. We did not close well with missed foul shots, Cole with a lane violation, etc. But, despite that we lost by single digits, a sign of our potential and the fact we did not quit. But, 42% foul shooting doesn’t get it done in the tournament. Bouknight looked tired toward the end and as Chief has been saying needs to come back stronger and better condition and lead us next season. That will make him a top 5 draft pick. He’s not ready yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 28% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 33% 3FG compared to 53 for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I thought Gaffney was the one guy who brought his offensive game. He seems to have the ability to drive by his defender and finish better than Cole. We should have played him more the first half.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. And 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo.
Chief did notice that when guys came in off the bench on defense they don’t always play their guy right. Thinking Gaffney playing under the scene on Ayala shooting a 3 and Jackson not keeping the ball handler between his knees and allowing him the angle to drive.

Chief thought our biggest matchup advantage was Sanogo since Bouknight had a star defender on him who had lots of help but 2 early fouls killed that and MD created a healthy lead with Adama out of the game. The trend of UConn’s Bigs committing fouls away from the basket continues with Whaley fouling a 3 baller. If we are going to play small ball at the end why bench Sanogo with 2 fouls early? Makes no sense.

On offense, UConn players seem to lack self awareness. With Whaley hosting 3’s and offensive rebounders rushing the putbacks on the offensive rebound. Chief can’t tell you what offense we ran. Totally disjointed. But, also give lots of credit to Maryland’s defense.

Ayala, Wiggins and Scott were Maryland’s Big 3. We did not close well with missed foul shots, Cole with a lane violation, etc. But, despite that we lost by single digits, a sign of our potential and the fact we did not quit. But, 42% foul shooting doesn’t get it done in the tournament. Bouknight looked tired toward the end and as Chief has been saying needs to come back stronger and better condition and lead us next season. That will make him a top 5 draft pick. He’s not ready yet.
analysis right on the money, agree Bouknight not close to be ready, should stay

Reaction Score
Hurley couldn’t decide whether to go smaller to match up with them or to go big and try to bludgeon them and honestly neither worked.

Gaffney came to play today.

Cole got exposed on defense. Let’s end the elite defender talk please. I think he’s a good player in the right role - scorer off the bench.

Bouk never really figured out how to play within our offense and it showed. When his hero ball is on it’s breathtaking. When it’s not it sucks the air out of the offense.

Too many blown rotations on defense.

Ultimately, there are teams who know how to win and those who don’t. We’re the latter right now. Hopefully next year we’re the former. Bouk should come back but won’t, but our class coming in is good and I have hope for growth.

Hurley needs to learn a lot of lessons from this season - this game was a microcosm of some of his issues with lineups/in-game coaching. I think he’s got the program headed in the right direction though.

Overall, disappointed but relatively optimistic.

Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 32% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 30% 3FG compared to 51% for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. And 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

He will be better off playing in the NBA and a learning that game then coming back and risking another injury. You should know this. If you a lottery pick u leave. He’s going out like Lamb did his senior year.

Reaction Score
He will be better off playing in the NBA and a learning that game then coming back and risking another injury. You should know this. If you a lottery pick u leave. He’s going out like Lamb did his senior year.
Right. Not sure why people don't understand that.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s a guaranteed lottery pick. MSG exposed certain things on a big stage and he did not figure out how to make MD pay for doubling and triple teaming him. There’s a big money difference between a top 5 and a guy who could fall into the 20’s. Every year there’s maybe 25 guys who think they might be lottery picks.

Reaction Score
"Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo."

No doubt they were prepared.

How did we counter? Didn't look like we were able to figure out anything to get us going. Not the first time this shortened season. That's scary.

Reaction Score
Maryland’s 1 on 1 and 3 ball vs. UConn’s offensive rebounding. Early on almost all our points were on second and third shots. But, the bottom line is we don’t have enough shooters and our defenders don’t always identify their 3 ballers. 32% FG percentage compared to 51% for MD. 30% 3FG compared to 51% for MD. Our offense seems to have no purpose or thought once Adama left with 2 fouls.

I love Whaley’s defense but when we open the game with him taking more shots than other guys, we are following our opponents game plan not ours. But, his shot blocking, offensive rebounding and put backs helped keep us in the game. Whaley, Cole and Polley combined for 3 of 18 shooting during the first half. The team had 18 offensive rebounds but only 22 points.

Hard to take a single positive from tonights game. We were flat, slow, lethargic, and couldn't make a shot. Just a horrible team performance from top to bottom, start to finish.

Reaction Score
It was heartbreaking to see how our year ended and especially for Bouk. He just didn't have it on the biggest stages. I'd love to see him come back - if he does our team will be incredible next year, but if he's getting feedback from the league he's in the lottery, it would be hard to turn that down.

Reaction Score
Lamb left after his sophomore year but won a National Championship his first year and deserved it.

Reaction Score
"Maryland definitely did their homework. Posting Cole and taking away Bouknight and Sanogo."

How did we counter? Didn't look like we were able to figure out anything to get us going. Not the first time this shortened season. That's scary.
And yet some on here insist Cole is a good to great defender. Fact is, he was exposed early in this one and has been for some time. Has little to do with his talent or heart, he is simply undersized and plays d way to vertical. For him to have any effectiveness, he needs to play low to the floor.

Reaction Score
Bouk was a great player, but he has no legacy at UConn.

I wish him great success in the NBA and I hope he wins championships and makes millions. He won't be remember much for his time at UConn.
Kemba had that 30 points in 3 straight games. James isn’t at that level yet. I think his advisers are starting to understand there are some advantages to coming back. Not that they are sold on it but there is more work to do on some things.

Reaction Score
Its a shame because this team had a lot of potential. There are a ton of what if’s? It just seems like we really got screwed because of the Covid shut downs and lack of games. I know dozens of others did as well, but we really got the short end of that stick. Bouknight and Jackson getting hurt did not help either. The only thing I hope for next season is no injuries, and I hope there are no Covid issues.

Reaction Score

Fair point but good shooting also makes a strategy great.

Reaction Score
Teams that play like Creighton and Maryland are just tough matchups for us and our style of play. But we realistically have had opportunities to beat both teams and just shot like garbage and blew it. Bouk missing that FT on the and-one which would have made it a 4pt game, then missing the front end of a 1 and 1 the next possession... Everyone missing countless put-backs and layups.

Reaction Score
I love all that Martin brings to the game but it is nearly impossible to miss as many shots as he did near the basket.
the defensive lapses we shocking to me. We have had terrible offensive spells all year but the easy baskets that got from mistakes was astonishing and disappointing.
I think I’m most upset about how non competitive we seemed for a good majority of the game. Never felt the fire, felt like we were outcompeted on the floor.
this also ends the debate for me on where bouk ranks in the all time great huskies: as immensely talented as he is the greats in this program do it in March.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s a guaranteed lottery pick. MSG exposed certain things on a big stage and he did not figure out how to make MD pay for doubling and triple teaming him. There’s a big money difference between a top 5 and a guy who could fall into the 20’s. Every year there’s maybe 25 guys who think they might be lottery picks.
He will be lottery and borderline lottery. After the injuries this year it would be behind stupid to come back. He can learn the NBA game and his game is better off in the NBA than college. Lottery or not he is leaving and he should.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a really good athlete and pretty explosive. Just starting to play with the confidence that makes him capitalized on his talent. He’s a player.

But what he’s not is a point guard. Any time the ball is thrown to him in the half court offense, he catches it and isn’t ready to immediately pass, shoot, or drive. He instead takes a few dribbles and backs off.

I see Gaffney being more of a 2 next year than a 1. But he has the potential to be a good basketball player if he makes the adjustment.

Reaction Score
Chief hits the nail on the head again. Going to be a long off season without The Briefs.
Thanks my friend but we may have the summer camp circuit to look forward to again. Also, plenty of talented transfers in the portal this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom