Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
The only team we ever had that was this dominant in the regular season was the 99 team. Our two losses were due to injuries.

Diarra > Kolek.
The 2004 team with Okafor and Gordon was dominant, but Okafor was hurt for a stretch. In addition the missing games, he also played hurt for many games. When he played and was healthy they were almost unbeatable.

Also all 3 of Ray Allen’s years the teams dominated but they couldn’t get it done in ncaa tournament. On year Donyell Marshall missed 2 FTs at end of game that would have moved them on. Another year they played a great game against ultimate champion UCLA. UCLA just played a great game and barely beat UConn who also played a great game. The final year, they just self destructed against Miss St after having an amazing year.

Reaction Score
An outstanding game from all. Only a couple of small complaints: SJ just cannot stop himself from making plainly dumb a-- fouls like the one under the basket. He could also learn how to box out and rebound. But damn, he sure can dunk it!

Reaction Score
An outstanding game from all. Only a couple of small complaints: SJ just cannot stop himself from making plainly dumb a-- fouls like the one under the basket. He could also learn how to box out and rebound. But damn, he sure can dunk it!
He has his flaws, but he is a solid backup center. I am really pleased with what he can do for the team this year. Next year, assuming Clingan goes pro, he will have to step it up a notch as the starting center. I think he has a good shot at doing that and giving himself a shot at pro ball.

Reaction Score
This team, has the ability to look like the Globetrotters, and make quality opponents seem as helpless as the Washington Generals.

If the best teams in the Big East, who are most familiar with us, are getting trounced on a day when two of starting five barely scored, out of conference opponents facing us the NCAA Tournament are going to face a real challenge. I love watching this team play. The choreography is mesmerizing.

Reaction Score
This team, has the ability to look like the Globetrotters, and make quality opponents look like the Washington Generals. If the best teams in the Big East, who are most familiar with us, are getting trounced on a day when two of starting five barely scored, out of conference opponents facing us the NCAA Tournament are going to face a real challenge. I love watching this team play. The choreography is simply amazing.
The last 2 years have been amazing to watch. I like passing and assists. For me a good pass, is more exciting than anything else. So many great passes, cuts, and plays today.

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra on Kolek was the sight to behold!!!
Hassan can get under other guards, which
Donovan makes it almost impossible for teams to get layups at the rim. I don’t see how this team can be beaten.

Both Creighton and Marquette failed to score 55 on us. No team in conference has scored more than 65 since Clingan has been back in the lineup.

Absolutely elite defensive team we are watching.

This team in general is just built to absolutely wear you down on both ends from making it impossible to get easy points while keeping you constantly moving on defense. Marquette was absolutely shook today.
We are truly an elite great team, but any team can be beaten on a given night.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I truly can’t see it unless Clingan is in major foul trouble chief. He’s a brick wall and eraser in the paint. A team is going to have to be absolutely red hot.

Reaction Score
This team, has the ability to look like the Globetrotters, and make quality opponents seem as helpless as the Washington Generals.

If the best teams in the Big East, who are most familiar with us, are getting trounced on a day when two of starting five barely scored, out of conference opponents facing us the NCAA Tournament are going to face a real challenge. I love watching this team play. The choreography is mesmerizing.
Choreography, yes, ballet with basketball!

Reaction Score
The 2004 team with Okafor and Gordon was dominant, but Okafor was hurt for a stretch. In addition the missing games, he also played hurt for many games. When he played and was healthy they were almost unbeatable.

Also all 3 of Ray Allen’s years the teams dominated but they couldn’t get it done in ncaa tournament. On year Donyell Marshall missed 2 FTs at end of game that would have moved them on. Another year they played a great game against ultimate champion UCLA. UCLA just played a great game and barely beat UConn who also played a great game. The final year, they just self destructed against Miss St after having an amazing year.
Didn’t see that 96 game as I was at the sweet 16 in Denver. Saw the score update there. Guessing losing Ricky Moore was the factor?

Reaction Score
Didn’t see that 96 game as I was at the sweet 16 in Denver. Saw the score update there. Guessing losing Ricky Moore was the factor?
My recollection was they missed like 20 layups and easy shots right at the a basket that they normally made.

Reaction Score
Great defense on Kolek by pretty much everyone. Castle and Diarra had good 1 on 1 defense. Even when he got past guys to the hoop, they guided him right to Clingan so he couldn’t do anything. Samson hedges blew up anything he wanted to do. Great stuff. I knew he was having a bad game but not 2-11 with a 0.75 AST/TO level bad

Clingan feasted. Marquette really has to get him in foul trouble in Milwaukee. He blows up everything they try to do

Reaction Score
This team has that killer instinct. Its a group of assassins not just one hitman either. Impressively the team doesn't need a spark or a fantastic play to slay opponents, we just painfully stab them to death using daggers, with different players able to enjoy each thrust. We use daggers throughout the game and not just in crunch time.

We've had teams that established that instinct but no team I can recall had it in January. Oh and all players have it, evidenced by the way they dive after loose balls, challenge all drives, and contest all shots with a 20+ point lead!

Its that killer instinct along with not being satisfied (i.e. hungry) will but fear in every opponent going forward. I see no other team possessing what we have.

UConn fans can see that the team is Hurley's Huskies 100%.
You can also see the value of a guy like Cam Spencer who hadn't won anything and has that hunger and fire.

Reaction Score
BEST PASSING UCONN TEAM EVER. Period. Full stop.

I am not ready to anoint them the best overall UConn team ever. But we have never had a team that passed like this. It truly is breathtaking at times to watch. Honestly the closest thing I can compare it to is Auriemma's best teams a few years ago. I realize many of you do not like any comparison with the women's team... but Auriemma's best, most dominant teams were also the most unselfish, and just a joy to watch share the basketball. Similar to watching these guys.

That is one of the two things I absolutely love most about this team. They constantly look for each other. And then our lock-down, "MAN-S%*T" defense on the other end. Wow... Just WOW.

Onto Creighton in Omaha.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We should play ever game at XL! That place is electric. Even the announcers were worried the fans would blow the roof off the place.
Big games it's great. When the students are on break it's the best option. With a little smart scheduling we could end up with half our games at XL but only only for games and times that it makes sense. That would minimize the lost revenue we experience by playing there.

Or the CDRA could stop price gouging us when we use the facility. That would work too.

Reaction Score
BEST PASSING UCONN TEAM EVER. Period. Full stop.

I am not ready to anoint them the best overall UConn team ever. But we have never had a team that passed like this. It truly is breathtaking at times to watch. Honestly the closest thing I can compare it to is Auriemma's best teams a few years ago. I realize many of you do not like any comparison with the women's team... but Auriemma's best, most dominant teams were also the most unselfish, and just a joy to watch share the basketball. Similar to watching these guys.

That is one of the two things I absolutely love most about this team. They constantly look for each other. And then our lock-down, "MAN-S%*T" defense on the other end. Wow... Just WOW.

Onto Creighton in Omaha.
Throwing out any comparison with the women’s game — it’s too different to be meaningful — full agreement that this is the best passing team UConn has ever had. The assists number as a percentage of baskets was mind numbing yesterday.

Reaction Score

No team in the country would have beaten us yesterday.

Reaction Score
The vibes were immaculate yesterday.. XL was rocking, we were way up, 20 mins before tip the crowd looked sparse and then BOOM, place was packed..

An elite performance from start to finish, god bless this team.. Biggest takeaway for me was Clingan’s dominance, he looked phenomenal!

Pig’s Eye was pretty packed pregame but still manageable, a great day!

Reaction Score
I agree. He had some good talent at RI, but with the guys he has now (and sometimes it's a challenge to get young men with higher numbers next to their name in the recruiting rankings) to buy in and do what he is asking or demanding of them.
DH said this week that only certain kinds of players can play for UConn and you're seeing those type players the past several years.........hopefully he can find more like that!
That's what surprised me about Flagg. He HAS to see the difference in style of play, intensity and mindset between the good guys and the evil brotherhood. Maybe he'll come to his senses........and do the right thing.

Reaction Score
I agree. He had some good talent at RI, but with the guys he has now (and sometimes it's a challenge to get young men with higher numbers next to their name in the recruiting rankings) to buy in and do what he is asking or demanding of them.
And at UConn you can get the good bigs that you can’t get at a URI level school. Until you have that it is tough to be elite natiknally.

Reaction Score
DH said this week that only certain kinds of players can play for UConn and you're seeing those type players the past several years.........hopefully he can find more like that!
That's what surprised me about Flagg. He HAS to see the difference in style of play, intensity and mindset between the good guys and the evil brotherhood. Maybe he'll come to his senses........and do the right thing.
I respect a guys choice, but in my heart and brain, I know he made a mistake.

Reaction Score
Again, the over high hedging leaves Samson fouling 22 feet from the basket and out of position for rebounds. Rebounding starts before the shot goes up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom