Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Chief was unable to watch the game tonight. My apologies, since I know how reading The Briefs have become part of many people’s game day routine.
However, while I can’t give you the usual authenic eye test observations, Chief will make a few general comments:
  • First, congratulations to Tyler. He is a great kid, and it’s good to see some 3 ball swagger tonight, when we most needed it.
  • Whaley was active and a rebounding machine. Keep away from silly fouls and this is what Isiah can consistently do for us.
  • Rebounding - We are a very good rebounding team and that still means a lot. I know some people try to say in today’s game, that rebounding isn’t important. It is!! When we had those losing years, we consistently got out rebounded when we played good teams. In contrast, Jim led the country in rebounding, I think like 7 years in a row - and won a few games during that tenure. In particular, we are getting good on the offensive glass. That truly changes a game. Psychologically it puts you in charge.
  • Point Guard - Let’s not fool ourselves, we are not seeing the production from that position that we need. Danny still thinks Cole will get untracked. There are various pros and cons to playing Boutnight at the point. It would make other teams commit to the double/triple hedging earlier and perhaps freeing up more good looks by Tyler? Also, this year our strength besides Boutnight is up front. So it would help us optimally allocate minutes. The downside is it might wear him out and detract from his scoring.
  • We are starting to see a trend away from foolish fouls, that took away from our defense by giving the opponents too many points from the line and taking key guys to the bench with foul trouble. This and rebounding are two things to watch.
  • Nice to see 50% from 3. That opens things up and makes tve game easier.
  • Garcia - Impressed with his game and he put up good numbers tonight. Has a really solid winning type game.
  • Defense - Held the opponent to 38% from the field and 27% from 3. That’s solid defense. It’s nice to have a given of solid defense as a starting point to built on. We have a lot of length on defense with many of our rotations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
On the road, Bouknight hurt, down by 13 points with 15 minutes to go, this team never gave up. And they came back to win the game. Everybody contributed, playing hard, aggressive BB. This team has character and passion. They remind me of the JC teams of the past.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whaley was an animal out there. Whatever he changed worked.
He looked like the Whaley from the second half of last year last night.

Maybe it was the fake crowd noise. Didn't Dan say that he's the guy most impacted by playing in empty arenas because he feeds off the crowd?

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh and IW providing senior leadership for the second half comeback.. Team responded to them.. Thought the D extended the start of Marquette's offensive sets for most of the game.. They made a few "Hail Mary's" as shot clock was expiring..

Great job by staff/Doran/Coach Mike in getting Tyler Phommachanh's body right.. Credit to Tyler Phommachanh for keeping his mental/emotional focus during rehab..

A W is a W.. This one feels a little more meaningful with Bouk's elbow injury for the comeback..He was a good teammate while on the floor..Deferring to others while still making his own contributions

Reaction Score
That was a signature win for team character and others stepping up beyond Bouk carrying the team. If they find some consistent scoring outside of Bouk, they will be tough to defend. Final thoughts:
As much as I’m blown away by Polley’s performance, we can’t expect that every game, and we can’t have five guys playing 35 feet from the rim. With Bouk down, there was a necessity for more player and ball movement, and it started showing. We must double down on that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who thinks rebounding is not important, but most of my friends are not what I'd consider casual, whatever that means to anyone else.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was a signature win for team character and others stepping up beyond Bouk carrying the team. If they find some consistent scoring outside of Bouk, they will be tough to defend. Final thoughts:
As much as I’m blown away by Polley’s performance, we can’t expect that every game, and we can’t have five guys playing 35 feet from the rim. With Bouk down, there was a necessity for more player and ball movement, and it started showing. We must double down on that.

Whaley is a force if he can stay out of foul trouble. Good for him.

Can't say much about Polley that hasn't already been said. However, much like Martin vs. DePaul, he obviously was not game planned against. Martin took a step back. Still had 7 boards, including 3 ORBs, but missed every shot he took including from the line. I am Interested how Whaley, Polley, and Martin all look like coming out of the gate vs. Butler. Akok probably comes back on Saturday as well. Front court minute distribution will be interesting.

It looked like Bouk was forcing it a little, especially during MU's 13-0 run. While I think he should touch the ball on every possession, I do not think he should run the point other than as a change up. He's better off the ball. Cole will find his legs. The announcers said something to the effect that UConn is not Howard and the Big East is not the MEAC. The game might be a little quick at the moment and he didn't have the typical dozen or so OoC games in order to adjust. Gaffney has to stop being cute. He threaded the needle once. Then turned it over trying to do it two more times. As Mediocre as Cole is right now, that is not how he gets more minutes.

C

Chief00

Tyler Phommachanh and IW providing senior leadership for the second half comeback.. Team responded to them.. Thought the D extended the start of Marquette's offensive sets for most of the game.. They made a few "Hail Mary's" as shot clock was expiring..

Great job by staff/Doran/Coach Mike in getting Tyler Phommachanh's body right.. Credit to Tyler Phommachanh for keeping his mental/emotional focus during rehab..

A W is a W.. This one feels a little more meaningful with Bouk's elbow injury for the comeback..He was a good teammate while on the floor..Deferring to others while still making his own contributions

great points @Grey Goose

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
great points @Grey Goose
the simpsons flirting GIF

Reaction Score
I just can't wait until Akok is back in the mix.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom