Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How bout when vital jumped on Carlton’s back after Carlton hit a two footer at end of first half buzzer? Comical.
Gang ish man

Screenshot_20181216-001223~2.png

Reaction Score
Our shooting is atrocious. Our guards are sloppy. Hopefully, this game is out of our system for a while. Jalen's poor shooting and one dimensional play (one on one drive to his right) is exposed in a game like this. Manhattan's zone demanded good passing and hitting open looks. Can anyone get in a crease and hit a 12 footer?? I think I saw 2 of these the whole game. Also, love Hurley's fire, but he shouldn't act like a thug... yelling at the other team's player "what are you looking at?" Instead, how about, "walk to your bench young man, your not intimidating anyone." Fire is good, but young men need poised role models who know how to be tenacious without the stupid ." Also, can Vital hit a shot without acting like he deserves a medal for doing so. I seem to remember a generation of players (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.) that hit shots all the time like they expected to make it. That's the sign of a superstar (big shot celebration is of course warranted).

Overall, Point taken, but just to clarify that line is not in the curriculum at the Bob Hurley school of hard knocks. Let me know if there are any other questions

Reaction Score
They gave a poor effort tonight. Sloppy with the ball and poor shooting. Over penetration is still a problem. Some nights they just don't go in but tonight's problems involved some poor selection, too. Adams, the younger, was a main offender in this area.

Coach Hurley seemed pleased with Carlton tonight. He punished Cobb for allowing some easy post touches on defense.

If the offense doesn't begin to solve the turnover problem, the season will become a disappointment.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Many good points. Although, I was discussing with a few guys last Sunday how the culture has changed with TD celebrations. It use to be Chief was in the look like you been there before crowd. Now Chief does get a kick out of some of them. I also think the opponent used to view it as disrespectful. But, now it’s accepted.
I know it's a generational thing, but for me it is not progress, it's the WWF permeating all aspects of our culture ( and the WWF is meant to be over the top, showmanship, not reality). Should we all go around saying "look at me" every time we do our job? Where does it stop? Some fun in a celebration, when it's warranted is fine, but "look at me" every time I make a play? I want to say, "I see you, and many people on the planet have made that play as well as even more extraordinary things." Have some humility. I don't mean to pick on Vital, I appreciate his toughness. But there are a lot of tough people in the world. I played college football in the 70's and early 80's. When I caught a pass in front of a defender who bruised my ribs with a nasty hit, I jumped up quick, ran back to the huddle and went right at him the next play. No need to celebrate, he knew I made the catch despite his best hit. And there are of course millions of people tougher than me out there. Don't give in so easy Mr. Chief, you know our current world could use a return to respect, humility, and perspective. Walter Peyton wouldn't have been Walter Peyton if he did a dance after every nice play he made. And he also would have been a marked man on the field instead of a revered ball player and extraordinary human being. It's late... sorry for being too preachy. :)

C

Chief00

I know it's a generational thing, but for me it is not progress, it's the WWF permeating all aspects of our culture ( and the WWF is meant to be over the top, showmanship, not reality). Should we all go around saying "look at me" every time we do our job? Where does it stop? Some fun in a celebration, when it's warranted is fine, but "look at me" every time I make a play? I want to say, "I see you, and many people on the planet have made that play as well as even more extraordinary things." Have some humility. I don't mean to pick on Vital, I appreciate his toughness. But there are a lot of tough people in the world. I played college football in the 70's and early 80's. When I caught a pass in front of a defender who bruised my ribs with a nasty hit, I jumped up quick, ran back to the huddle and went right at him the next play. No need to celebrate, he knew I made the catch despite his best hit. And there are of course millions of people tougher than me out there. Don't give in so easy Mr. Chief, you know our current world could use a return to respect, humility, and perspective. Walter Peyton wouldn't have been Walter Peyton if he did a dance after every nice play he made. And he also would have been a marked man on the field instead of a revered ball player and extraordinary human being. It's late... sorry for being too preachy. :)
Your heart is in the right place. The above, which you describe, was how Chief was brought up.

C

Chief00

I’m still waiting for these kids to start to play ANGRY. Like their life depends on every defensive possession. Vital seems to be the only one capable of it.

I thought Danny was going to start quickly pulling guys on turnovers. He did it some but not consistently enough to make a statement. Last night would have been an ideal game to make that Calhoun like statement. I know in the short term it might make the game even choppier but Chief would love to see that quick hook next game.
#Chief24/7Briefs

Reaction Score
27% first half bricklayers convention. As Chief mention last game, we are hurrying and not playing quick or crisp as per John Wooden.
Chief thought we had some open looks, our shooting was just terrible. We don’t run the break well and got nothing from Jalen, who apparently was more focused on his new hair twistered style for his birthday than knocking down open shots.

Again, I don’t know why our Bigs on defense find themselves 20 to 25 feet from the basket needlessly jumping out on the screens. If the other Bigs rolls, they find themself wide open. Having said all this our defense kept us semi respectable until a little more offense kicked in.

The strange dichotomy of Carlton playing better against the weak teams and Cobb contributing more against the better teams continued.

Who played well? Yakwe for the second straight game showed some defense and shot blocking. He is shooting around 22% from the line. Gilbert hit some nice threes but still overpenetrates and forces the break too often. He needs to relax and let the game come to him. Take more outside shots in the flow.
Sid again showed some flashes of great play. Danny thinks he’s the guy to play in the middle of the zone. He has the length, can jump over people or knock down the 15 footer.
The lineup I would like to see, Gilbert, Jalen, Sid , Polley and a rotation at center.

I wonder if our frenetic defense leads to frenetic rushing offense?

Adams better end his birthday celebration soon and get back to basketball. Vital made some mistakes but was engaged and played hard.
Other than AG and Sid the whole starting lineup has to turn over including graduations. Let Dan recruit. Yes I know Sid doesn't start. He is going to be good.

C

Chief00

Other than AG and Sid the whole starting lineup has to turn over including graduations. Let Dan recruit. Yes I know Sid doesn't start. He is going to be good.
After the First Night threatics, well intention Casual Fans were talking up this season. Chief received some criticism then by these fans, when Chief said Danny’s Priority 1 is recruiting this season. Sure, we want to play hard, win and compete but Priority 1 is recruiting. Chief believes Danny made a correct assessment then and appropriately invested his resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
First let me say Christian was the best and hardest working player out there. Why we don't practice at Gampel I don't know cause we can't shoot there. Uncontested airballs. Didn't know Manhattan doesn't have finals. This episode was terrible. We got the W at least. No NBA talk.

Reaction Score
9 blocked shots, 7 steals from Vital and 24 forced turnovers should win a game.... even if a star has an off night.

UConn's defense rattled the Jaspers.....held them to 23 points below their average. This team is shaping up to be a very good defensive team.

The only point that would worry me, if I was a Husky, was that 4-23 shooting from 3 point range. In some games, outside shooting will be necessary to pull down the W.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
@Chief00 agree with all your points, except your starting 5. Vital is a fighter - makes plays, rebounds - needs to be out there more often than not. He comes from the Bob hurley school of hard knocks.
Agreed. Vital is a fighter. He is on most of the plays and rebounds well. He misses some shots but Gilbert is just throwing bricks...wait, most of his shots did not even hit the backboard.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Chief, thanks for your briefs on the game. Honestly I don't know how you did it. Even a huge fan like myself found myself nodding off during the game. Let's me be honest, you never know what you are getting with this team at game time.

C

Chief00

Chief, thanks for your briefs on the game. Honestly I don't know how you did it. Even a huge fan like myself found myself nodding off during the game. Let's me be honest, you never know what you are getting with this team at game time.

Thank you. Chief gets what you are saying.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Manhattan’s zone was aggresssive and really problematic for us. I think we’ll see a lot more zone after that performance.

Manhattan is young and struggles on offense. That’s really what saved us last night.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Our shooting is atrocious. Our guards are sloppy. Hopefully, this game is out of our system for a while. Jalen's poor shooting and one dimensional play (one on one drive to his right) is exposed in a game like this. Manhattan's zone demanded good passing and hitting open looks. Can anyone get in a crease and hit a 12 footer?? I think I saw 2 of these the whole game. Also, love Hurley's fire, but he shouldn't act like a thug... yelling at the other team's player "what are you looking at?" Instead, how about, "walk to your bench young man, your not intimidating anyone." Fire is good, but young men need poised role models who know how to be tenacious without the stupid ." Also, can Vital hit a shot without acting like he deserves a medal for doing so. I seem to remember a generation of players (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.) that hit shots all the time like they expected to make it. That's the sign of a superstar (big shot celebration is of course warranted).

Shooting will finally be fixed next year for the first time in years w Gaffney, boughknight, Akok, and further development of Gilbert, b Adams, and Sid. Obviously Polley can shoot.

It's gonna be awesome; we just all gotta be patient.

Reaction Score
The rotation is a mess. I thought Smith was going to be better, but he can't make a shot and turns the ball over. B Adams can't even hit the rim on his shots, even from the foul line...shouldn't be playing. Give the time to Sid Wilson.

Reaction Score
I was in Gampel last night and when the clock hit 0.0 I said “Thank God!” Other than Sid’s dunk, and a couple great blocks, there was not much to cheer after Polley’s opening “3”. With the awful play and two of the three refs channeling Ted Valentine, I couldn’t wait for it to be over.

Reaction Score
Between the exam layoff, the 8 o'clock Saturday night start, and the coach's expectation that the team would come out ready to play after a two-hour game day practice, I think there are excuses enough to go around. Yes, last night performance translates to a 25-point loss to Villanova, but it also translates to blowout losses to Syracuse, Arizona and Fla. State. Didn't happen. Not likely to become the norm, although our performance against a poorer-than-usual Drexel team won't tell us much.

Reaction Score
I was in Gampel last night and when the clock hit 0.0 I said “Thank God!” Other than Sid’s dunk, and a couple great blocks, there was not much to cheer after Polley’s opening “3”. With the awful play and two of the three refs channeling Ted Valentine, I couldn’t wait for it to be over.

Agreed. The home team struggled, but the Teddy Valentine comparison is perfect. Especially with regard to Jalen's first foul, they were enjoying making the controversial call. Luckily, Manhattan was the worst offensive team UConn has seen all year.

I had tickets about 4 rows behind Manahattan's bench. For a (now) 2-8 team, those kids were having a good time. Coach M spent a lot of time teaching, as well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Our offense is still a work in progress. Keep reverting to bad habits.
That accounts for a lot of our turnovers but it goes beyond that.
Our star looks depressed and out of it and his time is running out.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I didn't have the opportunity to see the game ... but given what I'm reading I'm not sure I want to.
The lineup I would like to see, Gilbert, Jalen, Sid , Polley and a rotation at center.
Yes. This. Please. At least try it, given yesterday it's not likely to be worse.

I wonder if our frenetic defense leads to frenetic rushing offense?
Perhaps. But some of the offensive mistakes have occurred and then persisted through old coach and new, through half-court zone D and pressure man.

Agree. AG is still over penetrating and Vital is just sloppy. Even Jalen looked lost out there with the ball tonight. Sid the only bright spot for me.
The team really needs a leader to get things organized and flowing, and it has to be either Gilbert or Adams. It just has to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom