Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

27% first half bricklayers convention. As Chief mention last game, we are hurrying and not playing quick or crisp as per John Wooden.
Chief thought we had some open looks, our shooting was just terrible. We don’t run the break well and got nothing from Jalen, who apparently was more focused on his new hair twistered style for his birthday than knocking down open shots.

Again, I don’t know why our Bigs on defense find themselves 20 to 25 feet from the basket needlessly jumping out on the screens. If the other Bigs rolls, they find themself wide open. Having said all this our defense kept us semi respectable until a little more offense kicked in.

The strange dichotomy of Carlton playing better against the weak teams and Cobb contributing more against the better teams continued.

Who played well? Yakwe for the second straight game showed some defense and shot blocking. He is shooting around 22% from the line. Gilbert hit some nice threes but still overpenetrates and forces the break too often. He needs to relax and let the game come to him. Take more outside shots in the flow.
Sid again showed some flashes of great play. Danny thinks he’s the guy to play in the middle of the zone. He has the length, can jump over people or knock down the 15 footer.
The lineup I would like to see, Gilbert, Jalen, Sid , Polley and a rotation at center.

I wonder if our frenetic defense leads to frenetic rushing offense?

Adams better end his birthday celebration soon and get back to basketball. Vital made some mistakes but was engaged and played hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We've seen some ugly games the last 2 seasons but this was one of the uglier games I've ever seen. Woof. Manhattan is horrendous. But I guess a 15 point win is a lot prettier than a loss. So put it in the win column and move on.

Reaction Score
This was the first time I multi tasked this season. Not necessarily because of us but moreso our unexciting opponent. Can't wait till we finish feasting on these cupcakes.

Reaction Score
We aren't getting better at taking care of the ball. In fact we look worse.
Bright spot for me was Sid. The kid is an athlete and he will contribute more as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
We aren't getting better at taking care of the ball. In fact we look worse.
Bright spot for me was Sid. The kid is an athlete and he will contribute more as the season goes on.
Agree. AG is still over penetrating and Vital is just sloppy. Even Jalen looked lost out there with the ball tonight. Sid the only bright spot for me.

Reaction Score
Hurley alluded to the fact that some players aren’t working outside of the mandatory practice hours which explains some things. This is a culture change. Manhattan is scrappy so this result isn’t surprising. Jalen just seem sick tbh whether it’s exhaustion from studying for a final or sick. They will play better

Reaction Score
Chief, you just figuring out that the players on this team are not good at shooting the basketball?? lol

Reaction Score
It’ll be fun when Hurley gets his players in. Imagine 5 Christian Vital tenacity types on the floor. It’ll be fun. Just gotta roll w the chips he has. But Sid Wilson looked amazing. A bouncy Stanley Robinson

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Our shooting is atrocious. Our guards are sloppy. Hopefully, this game is out of our system for a while. Jalen's poor shooting and one dimensional play (one on one drive to his right) is exposed in a game like this. Manhattan's zone demanded good passing and hitting open looks. Can anyone get in a crease and hit a 12 footer?? I think I saw 2 of these the whole game. Also, love Hurley's fire, but he shouldn't act like a thug... yelling at the other team's player "what are you looking at?" Instead, how about, "walk to your bench young man, your not intimidating anyone." Fire is good, but young men need poised role models who know how to be tenacious without the stupid ." Also, can Vital hit a shot without acting like he deserves a medal for doing so. I seem to remember a generation of players (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.) that hit shots all the time like they expected to make it. That's the sign of a superstar (big shot celebration is of course warranted).

C

Chief00

@Chief00 agree with all your points, except your starting 5. Vital is a fighter - makes plays, rebounds - needs to be out there more often than not. He comes from the Bob hurley school of hard knocks.
Vital warts and all was one of our better players tonight. Not thrilled about his 0.7 assist to turnover ratio but he competes. Also he may be our best rebounder at 6-2. Still I like him better coming in off the bench.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agree. AG is still over penetrating and Vital is just sloppy. Even Jalen looked lost out there with the ball tonight. Sid the only bright spot for me.
Vitale is sloppy at time but he hustles more than any two players. 13 pts. 8 rebounds and 7 steals.
Lead team in all three categories. Why do so many posters dis him?

C

Chief00

Our shooting is atrocious. Our guards are sloppy. Hopefully, this game is out of our system for a while. Jalen's poor shooting and one dimensional play (one on one drive to his right) is exposed in a game like this. Manhattan's zone demanded good passing and hitting open looks. Can anyone get in a crease and hit a 12 footer?? I think I saw 2 of these the whole game. Also, love Hurley's fire, but he shouldn't act like a thug... yelling at the other team's player "what are you looking at?" Instead, how about, "walk to your bench young man, your not intimidating anyone." Fire is good, but young men need poised role models who know how to be tenacious without the stupid ." Also, can Vital hit a shot without acting like he deserves a medal for doing so. I seem to remember a generation of players (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.) that hit shots all the time like they expected to make it. That's the sign of a superstar (big shot celebration is of course warranted).

Many good points. Although, I was discussing with a few guys last Sunday how the culture has changed with TD celebrations. It use to be Chief was in the look like you been there before crowd. Now Chief does get a kick out of some of them. I also think the opponent used to view it as disrespectful. But, now it’s accepted.

C

Chief00

Vitale is sloppy at time but he hustles more than any two players. 13 pts. 8 rebounds and 7 steals.
Lead team in all three categories. Why do so many posters dis him?
More great points - Chief Briefs attracts the dudes who like to talk basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom