Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Manhattan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's a generational thing, but for me it is not progress, it's the WWF permeating all aspects of our culture ( and the WWF is meant to be over the top, showmanship, not reality). Should we all go around saying "look at me" every time we do our job? Where does it stop? Some fun in a celebration, when it's warranted is fine, but "look at me" every time I make a play? I want to say, "I see you, and many people on the planet have made that play as well as even more extraordinary things." Have some humility. I don't mean to pick on Vital, I appreciate his toughness. But there are a lot of tough people in the world. I played college football in the 70's and early 80's. When I caught a pass in front of a defender who bruised my ribs with a nasty hit, I jumped up quick, ran back to the huddle and went right at him the next play. No need to celebrate, he knew I made the catch despite his best hit. And there are of course millions of people tougher than me out there. Don't give in so easy Mr. Chief, you know our current world could use a return to respect, humility, and perspective. Walter Peyton wouldn't have been Walter Peyton if he did a dance after every nice play he made. And he also would have been a marked man on the field instead of a revered ball player and extraordinary human being. It's late... sorry for being too preachy. :)

Are you so out of touch that you think the WWF is the problem here? These kids aren't 40-year-old rednecks who can count to his 7 teeth combined with his first-cousin wife.

At least wag your finger about Instagram, mixtapes, or dogs on your lawn.

Reaction Score
two amazing blocks last night - yawke almost palming the ball and Sid wilson spiking the ball off the backboard at the end

Uconn is not Uconn without shot blocking so it was good to see some glimpses last night. Can not wait until akok is disrupting shots next year

Reaction Score
UConn's defense rattled the Jaspers.....held them to 23 points below their average. This team is shaping up to be a very good defensive team.
From the New Haven Register:

The 46 points were the fewest UConn has allowed to an opponent since holding UCF to the same amount in a win on March 6, 2016. The Jaspers entered the game averaging just 53.4 points per game.

C

Chief00

I didn't have the opportunity to see the game ... but given what I'm reading I'm not sure I want to.
Yes. This. Please. At least try it, given yesterday it's not likely to be worse.

Perhaps. But some of the offensive mistakes have occurred and then persisted through old coach and new, through half-court zone D and pressure man.

The team really needs a leader to get things organized and flowing, and it has to be either Gilbert or Adams. It just has to.

Chief discussed the defense to offense transition with some coaches. Teams can pull it off especially if they have a PG with the ability to govern tempo. Also, they pointed out that offense requires more skill but ill advised fouls on defense are a symptom as well of too much hurrying. We have definite seen that too.

Reaction Score
The team really needs a leader to get things organized and flowing, and it has to be either Gilbert or Adams. It just has to.

If it's got to be Gilbert or Adams, then it's got to be Gilbert -- and I'm sure it will happen. But AG has been a go-to guard his entire career -- a penetrating, finishing guard -- and even now, as a point, he must keep penetrating in order to dish. But the realization that amidst the D1 tall timber he must dish more often than finish comes hard and will take time. In the meantime he is a 43% 3-point shooter, has an assist to turnover ratio of almost 2-1, is a tenacious defender -- and all this while having played about 20 college basketball games. He is, no question, the once-and-future leader of this team.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Are you so out of touch that you think the WWF is the problem here? These kids aren't 40-year-old rednecks who can count to his 7 teeth combined with his first-cousin wife.

At least wag your finger about Instagram, mixtapes, or dogs on your lawn.
The WWF is not the problem as long as people don't perceive it as reality. It's like a cartoon, it's fake, and meant to be a kind of over the top performance, silly entertainment... we laugh or enjoy it because it's ridiculous. I was equating the ridiculousness of these actors in the WWF with the reality of what is happening in our society, particularly in many of our sports. When the intended ridiculousness of the WWF is our reality... we're in trouble. I believe your assumption that I am out of touch is based on your misunderstanding of my analogy. I will try to use a better one next time. Agreed that the WWF is not the problem.

Reaction Score
From the New Haven Register:

The 46 points were the fewest UConn has allowed to an opponent since holding UCF to the same amount in a win on March 6, 2016. The Jaspers entered the game averaging just 53.4 points per game.
Yes. And this makes me skeptical of calling last night a defensive masterpiece since they dont average much over 50 anyway. Im still not worried. If we played like we did against the other cupcakes, this game would have been something like 80-46 instead. If they struggle like that against Drexel on Tuesday, then maybe Its time to question some of the focus and mental preperation. Drexel is a better team than Manhattan so they better not take them lightly.

Reaction Score
The WWF is not the problem as long as people don't perceive it as reality. It's like a cartoon, it's fake, and meant to be a kind of over the top performance, silly entertainment... we laugh or enjoy it because it's ridiculous. I was equating the ridiculousness of these actors in the WWF with the reality of what is happening in our society, particularly in many of our sports. When the intended ridiculousness of the WWF is our reality... we're in trouble. I believe your assumption that I am out of touch is based on your misunderstanding of my analogy. I will try to use a better one next time. Agreed that the WWF is not the problem.

Nah I understood. It's a bad analogy imo. To each his own though. I get the idea

C

Chief00

As you know, Chief has the old school approach, conduct the eye test, analyze the game with lessons learned and by the next day put all aside but lessons learned and focus on the next game. This is the cycle which is repeated 30 times a season that is the game grind that many of us learn to love.

Consequentially, looking for J Adams to play well Tuesday. Time is running out.

Reaction Score
A word about Brendan adams. He should be a key contributor for us off the bench in coming years. Has vital esque qualities. But man, he needs to work on his shooting. All off season long just keep working on that shot. If he can make that a weapon, he can fight for a starters role

Reaction Score
A word about Brendan adams. He should be a key contributor for us off the bench in coming years. Has vital esque qualities. But man, he needs to work on his shooting. All off season long just keep working on that shot. If he can make that a weapon, he can fight for a starters role
Adams is a big question mark. He really hasn't shown much in any area of the game but he is very young and will have time to develop. Except for Gilbert we will be very young at guard next season.
Going to be interesting to see how Hurley molds next years team. Hard to say but I'm guessing that we will be much less guard oriented.

pj

Reaction Score
I like Hurley's idea to have a 2 hour game day practice. Get the kids tired, make the game competitive, expose the players whose conditioning is inadequate (or who partied too hard) before the whole fan base. He turned a meaningless exhibition into a useful teaching tool. I hope Jalen learned something.

C

Chief00

Shooting will finally be fixed next year for the first time in years w Gaffney, boughknight, Akok, and further development of Gilbert, b Adams, and Sid. Obviously Polley can shoot.

It's gonna be awesome; we just all gotta be patient.

Polley can “obviously” shoot but Chief will only call him a shooter, if he does it when the lights are on.

Reaction Score
Back to Vital... I love everything about him except his shot selection and I’m shocked when he makes a shot without his feet set. I understand why Hurley loves him but it’s also okay to take him out after a bad shot so he can reflect a moment. The same goes for those who are too loose with the ball and turn it over. We have enough guard depth. Let’s use it to make everyone realize that playing time goes with playing hard and smart.

Reaction Score
I saw where UNC just beat Gonzaga...a turn around after the Heel's lost in lackadaisacal fashion to Michigan...

Coach Williams called a halt to that...

"The Michigan loss was a low point in the season, likely UNC’s wost game. It was an embarrassing defeat, one in which the Wolverines dominated the Tar Heels on offense and defense. UNC coach Roy Williams had questioned his team’s effort, and criticized his own coaching.

As punishment, coach Williams made his team run in practice.

Kenny Williams said the Tar Heels got the message and they came out with more effort because they didn’t want to run anymore ‘33’s.’

A ‘33’ is when the players run up and down the court six times. If they don’t finish it in 33 seconds, then they have to run it again until they make the time, Williams said.

“It was either change our effort, or keep getting on the line and running 33’s,” the 6-4, 185-pound senior guard said."

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So many get of my lawn posts here by people I'm sure are parents...In other news, we were bad but Hurley will handle the team accordingly we are better than last year, as someone said somewhere else progress isn't linear.

Reaction Score
Adams is a big question mark. He really hasn't shown much in any area of the game but he is very young and will have time to develop. Except for Gilbert we will be very young at guard next season.
Going to be interesting to see how Hurley molds next years team. Hard to say but I'm guessing that we will be much less guard oriented.
If Vital comes back he will be a senior. Not that young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom