Chief’s Briefs - Maine Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Maine Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
What left us from the Miami game? We got away from guys cutting to and crashing the boards. That and shooting poorly in a cold building yielded a less than optimal proformance.

What did we do well?
- I was impressed with Adams. Both his game and his physicality have improved this year.
- Chief was impressed by Polley’s approach at the foul line but he went away from those opportunities the second half.
- We created turnovers but we transitioned to offense poorly and bottom line shot poor.
- Bouknight continues to show flashes of what he will do in the future more consistently.
- Overall, Chief believes Gilbert is starting to figure out his role this year.
- Unlike some, Chief likes Gaffney’s poise. He is going be just fine.

On the down side, we really did not exhibit a plan against a zone. We will need to do that better going forward, due to our reputation as a poor shooting team. We probably had about the same number of assisted baskets as Maine and we won by 24.

A 20+ point win in a fairly empty building is what it is. Tough to draw conclusions other than we need to play better against IU. But, we did win the game we were suppose to.

More than that but yep!

Reaction Score
I get that but we shot 37% and had only 8 offensive rebounds against Maine.
There isn't much to take away from a game like this, we're way better than them and they play about the most deliberate boring style in the country.

Reaction Score
I agree to some extent, but our great teams would step on these dudes for a 40-50 point margin.

Is it even possible to beat a team by 40 or 50 when they use the entire clock every possession? Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game here in Florida but appreciate your recap.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On the down side, we really did not exhibit a plan against a zone. We will need to do that better going forward, due to our reputation as a poor shooting team.
I agree. But I feel confident our coaching staff will develop a plan going forward. What about Akok at the foul line?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We need to do a better job of getting Akok the ball in position to score. He’s doing well in D but he’s to skilled to be getting such few touches.

Reaction Score
Akok only averages 6 a game. So we don’t rely on him for many points, although I’d like to see us use him more.

Overall, we were more sloppy than we should be, and went cold outside but didn’t work to get the ball inside against the zone. Was pleased by the resilience and they tightened up the D, toughened up and made it an easy win. Will need to be better for 40 minutes against good teams.
We at one point went to Akok inside the foul line and he just put it up soft from there without driving. With Carlton not effective why don't we do this more?

Reaction Score
I agree. But I feel confident our coaching staff will develop a plan going forward. What about Akok at the foul line?

He has a nice little floater he could use there. The concern with him there is the lack of playmaking ability for others.. not very strong with the ball. My go-to rule is put your best playmaker at the 4-hole and play out of it. Not sure how that works at the D1 level... tricky because we don't have any decent passer taller than 6'4. I like the idea of tryong Bouk at the FT line

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree to some extent, but our great teams would step on these dudes for a 40-50 point margin.
Really hard to do against a team that uses the whole shot clock playing Princeton style offense, we turned them over 30 times. UVA and Washington didn't throttle them like that.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

True, but this iteration isn’t a great team. And we shouldn’t expect them to be, nor should we compare them to the great teams in the past. They can and should be good though, which to me, is a-ok after watching bad teams the last few seasons.

Reaction Score
We at one point went to Akok inside the foul line and he just put it up soft from there without driving. With Carlton not effective why don't we do this more?
We will. Hurley said he didn't even run any zone offense in preparation for this game because Maine didn't play a single possession of zone D in their last game. He said we'll see guys flashing to the middle who can make the read on Wednesday.

C

Chief00

He has a nice little floater he could use there. The concern with him there is the lack of playmaking ability for others.. not very strong with the ball. My go-to rule is put your best playmaker at the 4-hole and play out of it. Not sure how that works at the D1 level... tricky because we don't have any decent passer taller than 6'4. I like the idea of tryong Bouk at the FT line
Polley might be an option but then we are taking perhaps our best 3 shooter off the 3 line.

Reaction Score
Yes, and we did get the turnovers. We just did not capitalize on enough of them offensively.

But isn't this partly attributable to the circumstances ? How bout when Vital stole the inbounds pass and then made the no-look pass to someone who he assumed would be cutting back to the basket. He wasn't, so it was a turnover. Would have been ESPN highlights if he made it - but he didn't, and it didn't mean didly squat to the outcome. If the game was close, he makes a different decision.

C

Chief00

But isn't this partly attributable to the circumstances ? How bout when Vital stole the inbounds pass and then made the no-look pass to someone who he assumed would be cutting back to the basket. He wasn't, so it was a turnover. Would have been ESPN highlights if he made it - but he didn't, and it didn't mean didly squat to the outcome. If the game was close, he makes a different decision.
I think if you are relatively careless with the ball when under no duress, it’s not a good omen for when you play against a team that can apply some pressure defense. Best to have good habits. Gaffney may not be the no look and French pastry type play guy, who some casual fans enjoy, but he practices good ball movement and has ball security awareness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think if you are relatively careless with the ball when under no duress, it’s not a good omen for when you play against a team that can apply some pressure defense. Best to have good habits. Gaffney may not be the no look and French pastry type play guy who some fans enjoy, but he practices good ball movement and has ball security awareness.

So you're saying he doesn't make a different dicision as dictated by curmstances. Can't really argue with you on this, since an accepted school of thinking says that under duress you revert to what you practice and what is automatic. However..."Tin Cup" has been playing during the extended weekend, and that school says you either go for it or lay up. Watching someone go for it is way more fun.

Reaction Score
Our defensive energy after the half was nice to see. DH has the team committing to that end of the floor while we struggle on offense.
Josh is a black hole for us at times on offense. We try and run stuff through him and he just can't convert which starts some of our scoring droughts. The good thing is he doesn't sulk but keeps playing. Someone needs to teach him to upfake and to not be afraid to kick it back out.
Bouk at the 4 against the zone has to be coming with his ability hit the midrange or drive. Polley has not shown the ability to drive well enough yet. They might try Sid there as well. Akok I would rather see down low but who knows he may surprise there.
Postgame Hurley mentioned making shots as an issue as we had many open looks clang off today. He also mentioned finishing around the rim. Solving these will be the toughest thing.

C

Chief00

So you're saying he doesn't make a different dicision as dictated by curmstances. Can't really argue with you on this, since an accepted school of thinking says that under duress you revert to what you practice and what is automatic. However..."Tin Cup" has been playing during the extended weekend, and that school says you either go for it or lay up. Watching someone go for it is way more fun.
Quite frankly, a truly great point guard might early in the game pass the ball to where a guy should be to send a message. But, generally he knows the capabilities of his teammates and factors that into the passes he throws. A great pass is one that gets caught and leads to a basket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson seemed to be Hurley's go-to guy in the middle of the zone in previous games. He was missed there today.

Would like to see Polley there more, but I get that he is maybe more valuable beyond the three point line.

C

Chief00

We will. Hurley said he didn't even run any zone offense in preparation for this game because Maine didn't play a single possession of zone D in their last game. He said we'll see guys flashing to the middle who can make the read on Wednesday.
When you have a team capable of shooting under 35% from the field, you always should be prepared to face a zone. But, Chief gets it with recent travel, holiday and upcoming exams - you have to prioritize what you have time to practice.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, a truly great point guard might early in the game pass the ball to where I guy should be to send a message. But, generally he knows the capabilities of his teammates and factors that into the passes he throws. A great pass is one that gets caught and leads to a basket.
Yes, yes, and yes, but we're talking about a shooting guard who made a great interception of an in-bounds pass after a Uconn basket, and attempted a "highlights'' pass after the outcome of the game was already established.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom