Chief’s Briefs - Full Columbia Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Full Columbia Edition

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I did something last night I have NEVER done as a 40 plus yr season ticket holder: I walked out at half time
I am, perhaps to some, the biggest Pollyanna and KO backer on this site. That is due to my utter commitment to UConn and my respect to KO as a person and his background (also my 30 plus yrs of coaching gives me a bit of insight)
However, the display in the 1st half last was at best sickening.
TL and JA were merely going through the motions and UConn can least afford that from either.
TL is the biggest disappointment - he plays zero defense, shoots when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should. KO is losing his voice pointing this out during T/Os but it goes in one ear and out the other.
JA needs someone to light a fire under his arse and quick. Why he has decided that it is this year he is going to take nearly every 1st half off and conserve his energy for the second half - I have no idea. I hope it isn't a message received.
The one thing UConn is dearly missing is an experienced polished big and a serviceable wing. Until they have this, there will be no cohesive offense and no set plays - it's hard to do with 3 guards. I understand that some of these kids may/will become these type players but I don't see it this year unless a miracle occurs.
Polley has flashes but is like TL - loves to take time to hide.
Diarra is a tornado - good and bad - I still think he will be a player and a scorer - his knack for rebounding is evident.
I like Carlton - he has the tools but needs to improve his BBIQ
Anderson, while many knock the kid, is a God send for this team this year. Yeah he makes some bonehead plays but his energy is great and it does rub off at times. He's one of those who the ball always seems to find him and unlike 3/4 of this team - he does not play scared.
resume - the only think he lacks is confidence. When he hits shots early it energizes his whole game. When he is off he goes into trying to hard mode. He has won two games for UConn this year and not sure if he starts or not is important but he needs his minutes.
DO - Ive seen him do good things and then Ive seen him do WTF things - he's a big body with 5 fouls to give - use him
Finally - KO - as I have said I love the guy, love his message, regardless of what some have said - he bleeds blue through and through. I know what he is trying to do but it won't work with the team he has right now. Last year, if the injuries did not occur, the system would have played out. He needs to relook at the recruitment - he needs (as does Ray Reid) to find players who best fit the roles that fit the system. Trying to get the highest rated recruits you can get and trying to force square pegs in round holes just doesn't work. Screw the rating system - get kids who want to play UConn basketball.
I'm not going to get into a coaching change right now. I have my personal belief on this and it may surprise some. Now is not the for a coaching change but KO does need to be more active on the sidelines on a consistent basis and not afraid to use the bench, during these non conference games, as a message for those who don't want to give an all out effort.
For crying out loud guys is 40 minutes - can't you please give yourselves and your fans a 40 minute effort??

Too bad.
First half was tough.
But that was a fun place to be last night through the second half and overtime. Very fun.

Reaction Score
I did something last night I have NEVER done as a 40 plus yr season ticket holder: I walked out at half time
I am, perhaps to some, the biggest Pollyanna and KO backer on this site. That is due to my utter commitment to UConn and my respect to KO as a person and his background (also my 30 plus yrs of coaching gives me a bit of insight)
However, the display in the 1st half last was at best sickening.
TL and JA were merely going through the motions and UConn can least afford that from either.
TL is the biggest disappointment - he plays zero defense, shoots when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should. KO is losing his voice pointing this out during T/Os but it goes in one ear and out the other.
JA needs someone to light a fire under his arse and quick. Why he has decided that it is this year he is going to take nearly every 1st half off and conserve his energy for the second half - I have no idea. I hope it isn't a message received.
The one thing UConn is dearly missing is an experienced polished big and a serviceable wing. Until they have this, there will be no cohesive offense and no set plays - it's hard to do with 3 guards. I understand that some of these kids may/will become these type players but I don't see it this year unless a miracle occurs.
Polley has flashes but is like TL - loves to take time to hide.
Diarra is a tornado - good and bad - I still think he will be a player and a scorer - his knack for rebounding is evident.
I like Carlton - he has the tools but needs to improve his BBIQ
Anderson, while many knock the kid, is a God send for this team this year. Yeah he makes some bonehead plays but his energy is great and it does rub off at times. He's one of those who the ball always seems to find him and unlike 3/4 of this team - he does not play scared.
resume - the only think he lacks is confidence. When he hits shots early it energizes his whole game. When he is off he goes into trying to hard mode. He has won two games for UConn this year and not sure if he starts or not is important but he needs his minutes.
DO - Ive seen him do good things and then Ive seen him do WTF things - he's a big body with 5 fouls to give - use him
Finally - KO - as I have said I love the guy, love his message, regardless of what some have said - he bleeds blue through and through. I know what he is trying to do but it won't work with the team he has right now. Last year, if the injuries did not occur, the system would have played out. He needs to relook at the recruitment - he needs (as does Ray Reid) to find players who best fit the roles that fit the system. Trying to get the highest rated recruits you can get and trying to force square pegs in round holes just doesn't work. Screw the rating system - get kids who want to play UConn basketball.
I'm not going to get into a coaching change right now. I have my personal belief on this and it may surprise some. Now is not the for a coaching change but KO does need to be more active on the sidelines on a consistent basis and not afraid to use the bench, during these non conference games, as a message for those who don't want to give an all out effort.
For crying out loud guys is 40 minutes - can't you please give yourselves and your fans a 40 minute effort??

Great post. For me, I am not a season ticket holder but it was the closest I have come to shutting a game off. I agree about TL. When he actually plays defense, it is poor defense. As for AA, where would be without the guy? He is here to make the most of his opportunity to play basketball at a higher level. As for HCKO, my fear is that the talent doesn't really fit his NBA system. JA can get to the rack on anyone, but the other folks are not pick and roll savvy. I think that Carlton will be a nice, four year player. The same can be said for CV. Finally, what do you think would have happened if HCJC was on the sidelines when the guys got burned out of timeout because they were walking back onto the court? It would not have been pretty.

Reaction Score
DO can be useful to this team. He can guard bigger guys and plays tough man defense. He is useless against a small team that has athletic bigs.

Williams is so lost on defense. It’s ashame because he is active on offense glass. Just is clueless on who to guard.

Carlton is a classic back to basket center and it seems that’s not part of our offense. We don’t look to the post.
DO is possibly the worst scholarship player we have ever had at UConn. He is atrocious .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom