Chief’s Briefs - Full Columbia Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Full Columbia Edition

Reaction Score
DO can be useful to this team. He can guard bigger guys and plays tough man defense. He is useless against a small team that has athletic bigs.

Williams is so lost on defense. It’s ashame because he is active on offense glass. Just is clueless on who to guard.

Carlton is a classic back to basket center and it seems that’s not part of our offense. We don’t look to the post.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It blows my mind that a hobbled JA under pressure played better than he did before that. He reminds me of Tim Thomas. A guy who cab dominate when he feels like it, which just isn't often enough. I just feel like he sleep walks through 80% of the game.

KFree's old high school teammate?

Reaction Score
He needs to take a more professional game prep approach on and off the court. When he gets his juices going he does compete.

Start his arse on the bench. He can do whatever he wants to his juices there. Or maybe he gets the message through his thick skull

Reaction Score
Mamadou Diarra and Eric Cobb are the only big guys that should be playing going forward. David Onourah is not a player for this level and doesn't give you anything.

Our lineup going forward should either be : Jalen, Vital, Anderson, Polley, and Larrier
or Jalen, Vital,Anderson, Larrier, Mamadou

Agreed on Onuorah, he's shown that he isn't capable of competing at even a mid-major level. But I'd continue to give Carlton minutes in addition to Cobb and Diarra.

Reaction Score
Not one single post entry tonight

...Who are we throwing post entries to and why is that a better use of the ball than Jalen blowing by his man and kicking it to the corner for an open 3.

Reaction Score
Our men's basketball program could turn out to be the poster child as the big loser in the break up of the Big East as we knew it & the evolution of the P5, the current state of collegiate sports. The Big East turned out to be perfect match for UConn; it permitted JC to become who he turned into & developed us into an elite program. The P5 development has impacted significantly recruiting in a negative way; we believe we are an elite program with 4 NC's & a legacy; I'm not sure potential recruits view us that way in this "what can you do for me" world. Our men's program used to be like the current state of our women's program: when we "called", we got a serious audience; I don't think it's that way anymore. While the AAC is getting better in both fb & bb, it still does not have a lustre nor do I think it will develop that. As a former collegiate coach at another institution, I hate the current direction of collegiate sports but it is what it is. I don't know what the answer is if we don't get into a P5, I'm not even sure the Big 12 is a good fit for us-our legacy fit more into the ACC. The next global question for HuskyNation is what will happen to the women's program when Geno leaves; it may take awhile longer due to the lack of a competitive balance in wbb; when you get down to it, it's really not the "Connecticut Way", it's the "Geno Way". Sort of like the "Jim Calhoun Way".... Like him or not, Big Lew Perkins had some interesting visions way back when....the way it's worked out, too bad he didn't think to jump out of the Big East & into the ACC way before the P5 stuff.....wonder what we would have thought about that in the middle of The Big East hey day.......

Reaction Score
...Who are we throwing post entries to and why is that a better use of the ball than Jalen blowing by his man and kicking it to the corner for an open 3.

Because against legit teams that option gets shut down if it’s the only one. Got to have some post presense.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying we need to every possession, but a "high major" program not having a single post entry an entire game against a mid major team seems strange.

Reaction Score
Because against legit teams that option gets shut down if it’s the only one. Got to have some post presense.

Yeah, but that wasn't tonight. You do different gameplans for each game, you see, or at least a competent coach does.

I'm not saying we need to every possession, but a "high major" program not having a single post entry an entire game against a mid major team seems strange.

When you return 0 minutes at PF and C, literally 0, and your best newcomer is out for the game, you can probably go some games without a post touch.

Reaction Score
They were suppose to be throwing the ball into Diallo this year, but alas he went for the money instead.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When you return 0 minutes at PF and C, literally 0, and your best newcomer is out for the game, you can probably go some games without a post touch.

Gotta disagree. Nothing opens the floor up like post entry passes. It would have benefited to get Carlton a few looks, and Diarra a touch or two. Even if it was a pass in, pass out thing. End of the world stuff? No. I'd rather harp on the D, but it would have helped the O imo.

Reaction Score
Larrier can’t dribble and has zero court vision. He will never be an nba player but he can be a good college player if he gets into the right spots, runs the floor better, and improves his catch and shoot game. Very frustrating to watch because important parts of his game are broken with not enough time to fix.

Larrier's dribble isn't the problem. It's that he's not strong enough to handle contact and he's not quick or explosive enough to be able to create separation for himself. He doesn't have anything in his skill set to create easy shots for himself.

Reaction Score
You know what's sad? I missed the game to watch two Shameless episodes (okay, I forgot about this game)...and I ain't even pissed about it.

Shameless makes me feel good.
Kevin Ollie makes me feel sad.
Shameless is great. A crazy, comedy-heavy drama show that is somehow very uplifting. Don't blame you here

C

Chief00

Larrier's dribble isn't the problem. It's that he's not strong enough to handle contact and he's not quick or explosive enough to be able to create separation for himself. He doesn't have anything in his skill set to create easy shots for himself.
Good analysis. He does have length and a soft shot when it’s working.

C

Chief00

Back home for the night. One final observation - so many empty seats the last few home games behind the UConn bench. The coaches friends and families are not using their tickets, recruits don’t appear to be using the seats - Optics and reality is bad.

Reaction Score
Boy, I think everything that could have been said about squeaking by a dreadful Columbia team at home has been said. WOW - the Boneyard has spoken!

Reaction Score

He does have that nice spin and step back in the lane. But that's all I can come up with.

Reaction Score
He should be limiting himself to 3 dribbles max. One problem is that we're starting and doing the weave 30 ft from the basket and end up playing one on one basketball.

Our post players need to establish position closer to the basket instead setting ball screens 30 ft from the basket. When Cobb comes back, we should see better post play.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I did something last night I have NEVER done as a 40 plus yr season ticket holder: I walked out at half time
I am, perhaps to some, the biggest Pollyanna and KO backer on this site. That is due to my utter commitment to UConn and my respect to KO as a person and his background (also my 30 plus yrs of coaching gives me a bit of insight)
However, the display in the 1st half last was at best sickening.
TL and JA were merely going through the motions and UConn can least afford that from either.
TL is the biggest disappointment - he plays zero defense, shoots when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should. KO is losing his voice pointing this out during T/Os but it goes in one ear and out the other.
JA needs someone to light a fire under his arse and quick. Why he has decided that it is this year he is going to take nearly every 1st half off and conserve his energy for the second half - I have no idea. I hope it isn't a message received.
The one thing UConn is dearly missing is an experienced polished big and a serviceable wing. Until they have this, there will be no cohesive offense and no set plays - it's hard to do with 3 guards. I understand that some of these kids may/will become these type players but I don't see it this year unless a miracle occurs.
Polley has flashes but is like TL - loves to take time to hide.
Diarra is a tornado - good and bad - I still think he will be a player and a scorer - his knack for rebounding is evident.
I like Carlton - he has the tools but needs to improve his BBIQ
Anderson, while many knock the kid, is a God send for this team this year. Yeah he makes some bonehead plays but his energy is great and it does rub off at times. He's one of those who the ball always seems to find him and unlike 3/4 of this team - he does not play scared.
CV - the only think he lacks is confidence. When he hits shots early it energizes his whole game. When he is off he goes into trying to hard mode. He has won two games for UConn this year and not sure if he starts or not is important but he needs his minutes.
DO - Ive seen him do good things and then Ive seen him do WTF things - he's a big body with 5 fouls to give - use him
Finally - KO - as I have said I love the guy, love his message, regardless of what some have said - he bleeds blue through and through. I know what he is trying to do but it won't work with the team he has right now. Last year, if the injuries did not occur, the system would have played out. He needs to relook at the recruitment - he needs (as does Ray Reid) to find players who best fit the roles that fit the system. Trying to get the highest rated recruits you can get and trying to force square pegs in round holes just doesn't work. Screw the rating system - get kids who want to play UConn basketball.
I'm not going to get into a coaching change right now. I have my personal belief on this and it may surprise some. Now is not the for a coaching change but KO does need to be more active on the sidelines on a consistent basis and not afraid to use the bench, during these non conference games, as a message for those who don't want to give an all out effort.
For crying out loud guys is 40 minutes - can't you please give yourselves and your fans a 40 minute effort??

Reaction Score
Vital is very tough but let me see him do this against a P5 school before he starts. The kid is toughest kid on our team and should be on the court in crunch time but let’s not forget coming into this game he was shooting 18percent from three and 24 from 2. Scored 11 points against the three P5 schools we faced.
I think Vital can do it against anyone if he gets the ball in the spots he was last night. In his bad games he was forcing up quick contested 3s. Also earlier in the season he felt he needed to take it to the basket and while he can do that once in a while it’s not a great part of his game. BTW Adams had some nice assists to Vital. We need more of that.

Reaction Score
Not one single post entry tonight

Good. Last year we tried to force the ball into the post too often just to be nice to guys that would either get stripped or throw up a wild shot without looking at who else is open. in general post ups iso plays lead to inefficient shots. This isn't 1992.

I'm not against posts up but we shouldn't run many. I think Cobb and Carlton could be posted up because at least they can pass a little bit. Larrier would be the best post option if he had any type of body strength because he could get clean looks by shooting over guys.

The bigs should be involved more by rolling, cutting, getting behind the zone, etc. But Adams going one on one is a more efficient play every time than a dump down post up to an inexperienced player.

C

Chief00

I did something last night I have NEVER done as a 40 plus yr season ticket holder: I walked out at half time
I am, perhaps to some, the biggest Pollyanna and KO backer on this site. That is due to my utter commitment to UConn and my respect to KO as a person and his background (also my 30 plus yrs of coaching gives me a bit of insight)
However, the display in the 1st half last was at best sickening.
TL and JA were merely going through the motions and UConn can least afford that from either.
TL is the biggest disappointment - he plays zero defense, shoots when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should. KO is losing his voice pointing this out during T/Os but it goes in one ear and out the other.
JA needs someone to light a fire under his arse and quick. Why he has decided that it is this year he is going to take nearly every 1st half off and conserve his energy for the second half - I have no idea. I hope it isn't a message received.
The one thing UConn is dearly missing is an experienced polished big and a serviceable wing. Until they have this, there will be no cohesive offense and no set plays - it's hard to do with 3 guards. I understand that some of these kids may/will become these type players but I don't see it this year unless a miracle occurs.
Polley has flashes but is like TL - loves to take time to hide.
Diarra is a tornado - good and bad - I still think he will be a player and a scorer - his knack for rebounding is evident.
I like Carlton - he has the tools but needs to improve his BBIQ
Anderson, while many knock the kid, is a God send for this team this year. Yeah he makes some bonehead plays but his energy is great and it does rub off at times. He's one of those who the ball always seems to find him and unlike 3/4 of this team - he does not play scared.
resume - the only think he lacks is confidence. When he hits shots early it energizes his whole game. When he is off he goes into trying to hard mode. He has won two games for UConn this year and not sure if he starts or not is important but he needs his minutes.
DO - Ive seen him do good things and then Ive seen him do WTF things - he's a big body with 5 fouls to give - use him
Finally - KO - as I have said I love the guy, love his message, regardless of what some have said - he bleeds blue through and through. I know what he is trying to do but it won't work with the team he has right now. Last year, if the injuries did not occur, the system would have played out. He needs to relook at the recruitment - he needs (as does Ray Reid) to find players who best fit the roles that fit the system. Trying to get the highest rated recruits you can get and trying to force square pegs in round holes just doesn't work. Screw the rating system - get kids who want to play UConn basketball.
I'm not going to get into a coaching change right now. I have my personal belief on this and it may surprise some. Now is not the for a coaching change but KO does need to be more active on the sidelines on a consistent basis and not afraid to use the bench, during these non conference games, as a message for those who don't want to give an all out effort.
For crying out loud guys is 40 minutes - can't you please give yourselves and your fans a 40 minute effort??

Great write-up.

Reaction Score
but KO does need to be more active on the sidelines on a consistent basis and not afraid to use the bench, during these non conference games, as a message for those who don't want to give an all out effort.

The guy is absolutely not active until he is...and when he is, you know it because he gets t'ed up. He needs to spread that energy out, not let it bottle up and come out at the worst times. The few times he showed any passion on the sideline was those aforementioned Ts...ugh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom