Chief’s Briefs - ECU | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - ECU

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I am going to take a step back and focus on some trends rather than in game details:
- The guards shooting percentages: Anderson (31%), Polley(32%), Vital (37%), Larrier (40%), Adam’s (41%).
- Bigs shooting percentages:
Carlton (51%), Diarra (51%), Dave O (52%) , Williams (54%), Whaley (57%)

Ok, the Bigs have a talent ceiling etc , however there is still merit to getting the ball to the Bigs. However, this team seldom does that. KO’s guard centric offense ignores these stats.

With the various 3 guard lineups, the Bigs only account for 32% of the team’s minutes. That is part of the reason rebounding is so poor.

3 point FG% - we trail our opponents 36% to 31% - that accounts for a margin of 5-6 points a game - another way we lose games.

Now back to the game - Our scoring has improve but our inability to rebound puts further pressure on a bad defense. The parts of the game that are most determined by heart are the parts we do the worse in. It’s more than just a talent deficient, that is easier for the casual fan to detect.

We are a better transition team than half court but transition starts with rebounding.

Kwintin Williams has more offensive rebounds than Polley or Anderson despite playing a fraction of their minutes.

Just gave Davis a three by over helping - triple teaming a guy in the paint. A theme this year.

Can’t believe Dave O is an Ivy Grad - he just got caught in a bad switch at crunch time - a Bigs first priority is to protect the paint.

Why do we foul on a wild three with 28 seconds left? B.B. IQ issue?

Two mental errors giving the ball to a 62% foul shooter rather than 85% Adams . Then leaving their best 3 point shooter unguarded.

Adams played really well today. I hope that trend continues.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I am going to take a step back and focus on some trends rather than in game details:
- The guards shooting percentages: Anderson (31%), Polley(32%), Vital (37%), Larrier (40%), Adam’s (41%).
- Bigs shooting percentages:
Carlton (51%), Diarra (51%), Dave O (52%) , Williams (54%), Whaley (57%)

Ok, the Bigs have a talent ceiling etc , however there is still merit to getting the ball to the Bigs. However, this team seldom does that. KO’s guard centric offense ignores these stats.

With the various 3 guard lineups, the Bigs only account for 32% of the team’s minutes. That is part of the reason rebounding is so poor.

3 point FG% - we trail our opponents 36% to 31% - that accounts for a margin of 5-6 points a game - another way we lose games.

Now back to the game - Our scoring has improve but our inability to rebound puts further pressure on a bad defense. The parts of the game that are most determined by heart are the parts we do the worse in. It’s more than just a talent deficient, that is easier for the casual fan to detect.

We are a better transition team than half court but transition starts with rebounding.

Kwintin Williams has more offensive rebounds than Polley or Anderson despite playing a fraction of their minutes.

Just gave Davis a three by over helping - triple teaming a guy in the paint. A theme this year.

Can’t believe Dave O is an Ivy Grad - he just got caught in a bad switch at crunch time - a Bigs first priority is to protect the paint.

Why do we foul on a wild three with 28 seconds left? B.B. IQ issue?

Two mental errors giving the ball to a 62% foul shooter rather than 85% Adams . Then leaving their best 3 point shooter unguarded.

Adams played really well today. I hope that trend continues.
You have to mention that their guard Fleming out rebounded our six bigs 10 to 8. I mention Fleming but no need to call out the names of our bigs - ugh

Reaction Score
Polley and Carlton look more formidable every game yet I keep seeing more Anderson and Onuorah on my screen. KO refuses to let the freshmen get consistent minutes on the court and it is maddening. The former two may or may not be here next year but I sure as hell know the latter will not be. Let the kids get reps.

Onuorah had 0 points, 1 rebound, and 3 fouls in 18 minutes.

Whaley, Cobb, KW, and Diarra played a combined 6 minutes. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like how you put Larrier and Polley with the guards to accentuate the shooting % disparity.
In the 2nd half of the in game thread imno1 stated that he hated this 3 guard lineup and ECU promptly went up by 9. Insert Polley and we go on a nice run.
We won but I don’t understand Ollie’s infatuation D.O.
Yes Adams was tremendous today. If he took his jump shot more seriously he’d contend for a scoring title.
Polley is gaining confidence in his shot. He needs to be more active though

C

Chief00

I like how you put Larrier and Polley with the guards to accentuate the shooting % disparity.
In the 2nd half of the in game thread imno1 stated that he hated this 3 guard lineup and ECU promptly went up by 9. Insert Polley and we go on a nice run.
We won but I don’t understand Ollie’s infatuation D.O.
Yes Adams was tremendous today. If he took his jump shot more seriously he’d contend for a scoring title.
Polley is gaining confidence in his shot. He needs to be more active though

Larrier and Polley currently don’t have the body type to do the dirty work a Bigs got to do.

C

Chief00

You have to mention that their guard Fleming out rebounded our six bigs 10 to 8. I mention Fleming but no need to call out the names of our bigs - ugh
And our 4 leading rebounders were guards this game (I consider Larrier a guard because of his disdain for physical contact)

Reaction Score
just need to finish out these last games strong (2-2) and win a game in the tourney for the NIT! woo!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And our 4 leading rebounders were guards this game (I consider Larrier a guard because of his disdain for physical contact)
Our only three capable rebounders - those that can grab and hold on to the ball - are guards
I felt the same way last year
Always felt Diarra would be a good rebounder and still hold out hope for him

Reaction Score
Our only three capable rebounders - those that can grab and hold on to the ball - are guards
KW might also but it looks like we won’t know at least this year

C

Chief00

I think Williams is our best rebounder but he’s got to see the court first.

Reaction Score
Polley and Carlton look more formidable every game yet I keep seeing more Anderson and Onuorah on my screen. KO refuses to let the freshmen get consistent minutes on the court and it is maddening. The former two may or may not be here next year but I sure as hell know the latter will not be. Let the kids get reps.

Onuorah had 0 points, 1 rebound, and 3 fouls in 18 minutes.

Whaley, Cobb, KW, and Diarra played a combined 6 minutes. Unbelievable.

I'm convinced KO promises some players minutes to get them to commit

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom