Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a lot to like about last night's game. Loved the team's energy, particularly their offensive movement off the ball. Josh wanted to eat last night and boy did he! If he can somehow consistently play like this, watch out. To me, he is still our most skilled big. Not really surprised by Tyrese Martin. I always felt he was the perfect fit for this team. Love the Donny Marshall comparrisons, although Tyrese may even be more skilled offensively. I don't get some of the criticism for Cole. I thought he gave us exactly what we need from him. He plays hard and rarely forces the issue, hits some open shots, and plays stellar d. Not much more to say about Bouk other than he is an absolute stud.

My guess is Danny is super excited about the prospects of this team. The way its constructed, its like his best URI teams on steroids. It seems that the team has bought in to his system and really enjoy playing with each other. From top to bottom, this team is built to give maximum effort. Even a guy like Brendan Adams. He comes in, plays super hard, scores a few buckets, and contributes. Can't wait to see how Akok is added to the mix. Fun times again in Storrs.

Reaction Score
The one thing I’ll say about not calling the timeout on the 8-0 DePaul run was that the tv timeout was incoming. Not an excuse, call the damn timeout when you need to — Leitao did that multiple times.

Reaction Score
Can't add much to what has been posted. All of the above posts have been spot on and even though Josh's play last night has been praised and singled out I have to add mine. Intensity, fire, body language was awesome from start to finish just hoping he keeps it up and goes out with a bang in his last year. Big shout out to the guy. Since it's the last day in 2020, wishing all a happy new year. Onward and upward we go.

Reaction Score
Bouknight, Martin, Cole et al
Hamilton, Freeman, El Amin

This team has a lot of potential.

Reaction Score
Martin really showed he's all about "team". Double double, 3 assists and 0 TO's, calm and expressionless and didn't force anything that I recall. Not flashy and all of a sudden he's got 22 and 10.
Can't believe there's so little positive being said about JC. He was so important early on with his rebounding and so quick and aggressive with his scoring moves. If he keeps that up we're in good shape even if IW struggles.
Would be nice to see more time for AS even if he makes mistakes. Could be a game changer in the tournaments. Like Brimah with his 3 point play against Dayton.
Is JG just trying to be perfect or is he by nature just not aggressive and too poor a ball handler to make plays? Can't believe he only had 2 TO's.
Nice to see DH didn't sleep on RS tonight.
Impressed with TM.. Playing more relaxed and fluid.. Knows his value to team (esp.with Andre out for awhile). .Needs to be on the floor.. Adjusting well to the speed of the BE..

Reaction Score
Early in second half, when UConn had a shot clock violation on a Bouknight shot, the team went to sideline & it looked like B Adams had on a lower back brace. But a minute later, he’s back in game without it. Maybe I forgot, does he have a back issue?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Martin and Carlton had perhaps the quietest double-doubles in UConn History. I thought Cole played better too. I'm not seeing what some are in Whaley. He continues to be a foul machine and had 3 turnovers in only 15 minutes.

Eight players reached double figures in minutes, which is good in terms of depth, but when Akok get back, he will get his. Either some give back (e.g. Martin's sweet spot is probably south of 31 minutes) or he takes over. Whaley appears to be a prime candidate to stay under 20 minutes, if he doesn't turn a corner.

Would have liked Sanogo to get more crunch time play, but Carlton was a force. Hurley can't not roll with the momentum. Something's lit a fire under him, which can be a good, but it is also keeping Springs and Brown (and his length) on the bench.

Finally, UConn is getting away from the top-of-the-key weave to start the half court O. The only things it does is waste shot clock, pull the bigs out of position, and force an ill advised 3FGA by someone who shouldn't be shooting it as the buzzer goes off. I was as happy with the half court offense as I've been since what seems like 16 years.

Reaction Score
Martin and Carlton had perhaps the quietest double-doubles in UConn History. I thought Cole played better too. I'm not seeing what some are in Whaley. He continues to be a foul machine and had 3 turnovers in only 15 minutes.

Eight players reached double figures in minutes, which is good in terms of depth, but when Akok get back, he will get his. Either some give back (e.g. Martin's sweet spot is probably south of 31 minutes) or he takes over. Whaley appears to be a prime candidate to stay under 20 minutes, if he doesn't turn a corner.

Would have liked Sanogo to get more crunch time play, but Carlton was a force. Hurley can't not roll with the momentum. Something's lit a fire under him, which can be a good, but it is also keeping Springs and Brown (and his length) on the bench.

Finally, UConn is getting away from the top-of-the-key weave to start the half court O. The only things it does is waste shot clock, pull the bigs out of position, and force an ill advised 3FGA by someone who shouldn't be shooting it as the buzzer goes off. I was as happy with the half court offense as I've been since what seems like 16 years.
In his last 14 games, Squirrel has been somewhere between pretty good and amazing in 12 of them. I'd say it's a little premature to start calling for him to be benched after 2 subpar performances.

Reaction Score
Early in second half, when UConn had a shot clock violation on a Bouknight shot, the team went to sideline & it looked like B Adams had on a lower back brace. But a minute later, he’s back in game without it. Maybe I forgot, does he have a back issue?
I think a lot of the team uses them, Carlton had it on before he checked in for the first time. Whaley had it on last game as well

C

Chief00

I agree about your observation about the top of the key weave. That offense only works if you have deep three shooters and a penetrating guard.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Martin-WOW All you need to know.
Like Bouk, Gaf and Martin chemistry.
Martin is one of those quiet players. I find myself after the game saying "Martin scored what"? Not flashy just does his job.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Martin is one of those quiet players. I find myself after the game saying "Martin scored what"? Not flashy just does his job.
The dunk was nice exclamation point.

C

Chief00

The one thing I’ll say about not calling the timeout on the 8-0 DePaul run was that the tv timeout was incoming. Not an excuse, call the damn timeout when you need to — Leitao did that multiple times.
Jim would have been running toward half court signaling time out. Despite the hysterics there was thoughtfulness behind his beliefs. He believed that you immediately stop something bad before it becomes a habit. He also believed young men need real time guidance. That’s the only way the coaching sinks in. It’s not acceptable to play like that and he would let you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky25

Reaction Score
In his last 14 games, Squirrel has been somewhere between pretty good and amazing in 12 of them. I'd say it's a little premature to start calling for him to be benched after 2 subpar performances.
I didn't say bench him, but it doesn't help that those subpar performances came in consecutive games against conference opponents, with one not being very good and rusty due to COVID.

Hurley will probably ease Akok back into the rotation, but I can certainly see him chipping away at Whaley's minutes as he approaches full speed.

C

Chief00

So we have to wait until Tuesday to lace up our sneakers again. Who made this crazy schedule? How can we get any flow to the season even without Covid issues?

Reaction Score
According to the announcers, at least 2 of the fouls were because of Whaley's moving screens. This should be correctable and I am sure DH will emphasize that to him. It should be a teachable thing. The others from reach-ins are more Whaley's being aggressive on defense. But, even there, a player has to be aware of how many fouls he has, and to maybe let his man go.

I am optimistic he will learn and remain in the games longer. On the other hand, Carlton looked great, aggressively rebounding and showing great footwork and post moves. I date myself when I say this, but his footwork reminded me of Bill Corley's moves in 1968.

In spite of the one lapse period with the 5 turnovers and 8 consecutive DePaul points, the team looked great and it was a pleasure watching them.

Looking forward to the upcoming games in the Midwest.

2 of his moving screens that I recall were because the guards went too early. Better communication with each other will fix it

Reaction Score
Jim would have been running toward half court signaling time out. Despite the hysterics there was thoughtfulness behind his beliefs. He believed that you immediately stop something bad before it becomes a habit. He also believed young men need real time guidance. That’s the only way the coaching sinks in. It’s not acceptable to play like that and he would let you know it.
Real time guidance does make a lot of sense, but balanced by letting the game play out to see if the turnovers are starting to be a pattern. I realize you want to prevent bad habits, but a few short-term mental lapses do not automatically create a bad habit. Encouraging player confidence by letting the game continue vs. enabling bad play by not calling timeouts , is the issue.

I do think Hurley tends to wait too long in many cases to call the timeouts when the other team starts to make a run, or when his team lapses.

Regarding substitutions, Jim would take out a player for making one mistake, and in some cases, might have prevented the player from getting into the flow. Then again, who can argue with his success.

Reaction Score
Sorry boys and girls and chiefs, Cole is not going to be a scorer at this level. This isn’t the MEAC. 8 ppg is about what we can and should expect. Could he get hot and run off 18 some day? Sure, but so could pretty much anybody. he isn’t going to be a primary scorer. So we need others to step up and I liked the way Martin did it last night. His 3 when DePaul cut it to under 10 late first half was not a thing of beauty from a technical perspective but it went in at a time when we were looking a bit shaky.

I’m still of the opinion that Gaffney will ultimately be the superior pg but he needs to just play and not look like he is scared of making a mistake.

please no more mid week 9 pm games. Chief, can you get it done please. Thanks

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Another intellectual thread by Chief. So much for the critics, who have criticized Chief for not advocating higher admission standards for athletes.
I’m not sure if you’re trying to insult my intelligence here or not, but for the record I was just making a good-natured joke. Wasn’t trying to start Beef with Chief in the Brief’s!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Surprising to see Whaley struggle two games in a row. Gotta work on the foul trouble.
my only little personal nitpick is I would have liked to see sanogo come back in the game before garbage time. I want to see the kid develop and it will be hard for him in such small opportunities.
I was surprised, He didn't get on track the first 5 minutes. He has that nice soft touch. Both shots were, well not so pretty. I would like to see him start off again.

C

Chief00

Real time guidance does make a lot of sense, but balanced by letting the game play out to see if the turnovers are starting to be a pattern. I realize you want to prevent bad habits, but a few short-term mental lapses do not automatically create a bad habit. Encouraging player confidence by letting the game continue vs. enabling bad play by not calling timeouts , is the issue.

I do think Hurley tends to wait too long in many cases to call the timeouts when the other team starts to make a run, or when his team lapses.

Regarding substitutions, Jim would take out a player for making one mistake, and in some cases, might have prevented the player from getting into the flow. Then again, who can argue with his success.
Quite frankly, Jim would take the player out quickly, but he usually reinserted him fairly soon. Lately, we see guys come out and not be reinserted until garbage time.

C

Chief00

please no more mid week 9 pm games. Chief, can you get it done please. Thanks

Chief will take that under advisement. But, even Chief has only so many chips that he can use up, and needs to use them wisely.
From a business perspective, it seems that the 9pm games are often against a Central time zone team. This year, it’s all about TV with no one at the game.

C

Chief00

He said once - after he was criticized for swearing too much - you need to say M*F* just to get certain guys attention - so that he could then have what he considered to be a conversation with them. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom