Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great job against a team just barely embarking on their season. Since you can't really teach quickness, Coach Hurley has his work cut out for himself.
As your guards go, so goes the team, and Bouknight is the only quick guard. Hurley will have to continue to scheme to protect us from quicker guards.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
If we can get 10-15 a night from Martin that takes so much pressure off of Cole to score. When Cole relaxes and doesn't force things is when we're really good.
Let’s be honest, we don’t really know things like this. It’s been five games, two of which were against cupcakes. Cole, who is still getting his legs and timing after two years, can still be a scorer which simply makes us even more dangerous.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest, we don’t really know things like this. It’s been five games, two of which were against cupcakes. Cole, who is still getting his legs and timing after two years, can still be a scorer which simply makes us even more dangerous.
He can be yes. But I don't think its best if we rely on him for a substantial amount of points each night. I'd rather see him get 5 assists than 10 points.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, he gives everyone props. Most boards think that rothstein loves them. Just a positive guy who watches a lot of college ball.

Although I do think he has taken an interest in the Hurleys.
Seems stuck in the 90s. First props never mentioned the last 3 ships, or the players that earned them.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, he gives everyone props. Most boards think that rothstein loves them. Just a positive guy who watches a lot of college ball.

Although I do think he has taken an interest in the Hurleys.
He's a metro NY guy. Definitely has respect for the Hurleys. But yeah, mostly empty praise and random, repeated catch phrases.

Reaction Score
Martin really showed he's all about "team". Double double, 3 assists and 0 TO's, calm and expressionless and didn't force anything that I recall. Not flashy and all of a sudden he's got 22 and 10.
Can't believe there's so little positive being said about JC. He was so important early on with his rebounding and so quick and aggressive with his scoring moves. If he keeps that up we're in good shape even if IW struggles.
Would be nice to see more time for AS even if he makes mistakes. Could be a game changer in the tournaments. Like Brimah with his 3 point play against Dayton.
Is JG just trying to be perfect or is he by nature just not aggressive and too poor a ball handler to make plays? Can't believe he only had 2 TO's.
Nice to see DH didn't sleep on RS tonight.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Happy New Year colleagues, it’s finally time for UConn MBB again.

Nice to see Adama start, I love how he goes to the ball rebounding, it’s apparent Danny has made a decision that we will have to put together a scoring option from rebounding and posts ups. Josh made a nice contribution to that along with Martin, who did both the inside and outside game tonight.

Adams and Polley gave us a little something from the outside tonight. It would be great if Polley could be a double figure guy this season. He showed a few glimmers of that tonight, but he is still hesitating on his shot. Adams manufactured some much needed scoring tonight.

Cole continues to be limited. If Bouknight isn’t on fire, the other guys need to step up. Chief still believes Gaffney can give us some offense but he needs to play with more confidence. Moore reminds Chief of Jerome Dyson.

Let’s give our defense some credit, we have great length and some decent strength now. We don’t have the perimeter on the ball guys but our team defense is pretty good. When you lead by double figures and limit your opponent to 33% shooting, you are doing some things right.
I think we are a good rebounding team this season. I like the way we go to the offensive boards.

Chief loves the way Martin attacks the boards. Martin was Chief’s MVP tonight.

A really bad stretch of 8 DePaul points and 5 turnovers by UConn and no timeout. I wish Danny would display more urgency in this type of scenario. The fact that you were up by 24 doesn't matter. Lots of bad habits reinforced.
I agree on Gaffney. Actually I think he played better last year. Sadly only saw first half. Seemed he had a tough night. However, I believe in this kid. He is quick and charges the board. Got stuffed a couple of times by a good defender.

Reaction Score
Tyrese, Josh, and RJ played better than I expected. Gaffney can’t keep his man in front of him. He’s also so shaky with the ball. Hopefully he improves. A good win and ready for the next game.

Reaction Score
One thing different from the Creighton game was how they played Bouk defensively. DePaul typically had 2-3 guys on him with the ball, and allowed so much better open play for guys like Martin, and some open shots for Polley, Adams etc.
Creighton dared to let Bouk go 1 on 1 and he dropped 40 - but it was much harder for the rest of the guys to get going individually. It will be interesting to see what teams do going forward - pick your poison

C

Chief00

One thing different from the Creighton game was how they played Bouk defensively. DePaul typically had 2-3 guys on him with the ball, and allowed so much better open play for guys like Martin, and some open shots for Polley, Adams etc.
Creighton dared to let Bouk go 1 on 1 and he dropped 40 - but it was much harder for the rest of the guys to get going individually. It will be interesting to see what teams do going forward - pick your poison
Very good identification of the opponent’s defensive tradeoffs. Bouknight is the only guy who can create on his own rather than Adama or Josh posting.

Reaction Score
Surprising to see Whaley struggle two games in a row. Gotta work on the foul trouble.
my only little personal nitpick is I would have liked to see sanogo come back in the game before garbage time. I want to see the kid develop and it will be hard for him in such small opportunities.
According to the announcers, at least 2 of the fouls were because of Whaley's moving screens. This should be correctable and I am sure DH will emphasize that to him. It should be a teachable thing. The others from reach-ins are more Whaley's being aggressive on defense. But, even there, a player has to be aware of how many fouls he has, and to maybe let his man go.

I am optimistic he will learn and remain in the games longer. On the other hand, Carlton looked great, aggressively rebounding and showing great footwork and post moves. I date myself when I say this, but his footwork reminded me of Bill Corley's moves in 1968.

In spite of the one lapse period with the 5 turnovers and 8 consecutive DePaul points, the team looked great and it was a pleasure watching them.

Looking forward to the upcoming games in the Midwest.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s a team game. The Huskies played like a team. Ball movement was much better in the first half. We have to get the ball inside through the air, not the dribble. Sure, Bouk or Gaff or Martin should attack the rim from outside if open. But it’s rarely open. The ball moves faster through the air than any defender can. I think that’s what Dan is preaching and they are finally figuring it out.

I think Josh is our best center against most opponents. Maybe not all. He can score, defends the paint and rebounds. He cannot chase small bigs outside.

Martin is the kind of stretch 4 or power 3 we need. Versatility is the key. I think Andre will become versatile once his shot improves. Akok is versatile as well. Adams is if he plays under control.

I thought Cole was fine. Hit some shots and distributed without turnovers. Looked like a PG. I don’t need or want the PG to be the #2 scoring option. I want more from the bigs, and last night we got it.

Reaction Score
In the minutes he played, I liked Polley. He made some shots and it looked like he did a decent job defending his man.

Actually, I liked it that after his rebound, he dribbled it into the frontcourt and seemed to have fairly good ballhandling skills for a big man.

Not saying he is a point guard alternative, but sometimes his ballhandling gives the guards a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom