Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - DePaul Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Happy New Year colleagues, it’s finally time for UConn MBB again.

Nice to see Adama start, I love how he goes to the ball rebounding, it’s apparent Danny has made a decision that we will have to put together a scoring option from rebounding and posts ups. Josh made a nice contribution to that along with Martin, who did both the inside and outside game tonight.

Adams and Polley gave us a little something from the outside tonight. It would be great if Polley could be a double figure guy this season. He showed a few glimmers of that tonight, but he is still hesitating on his shot. Adams manufactured some much needed scoring tonight.

Cole continues to be limited. If Bouknight isn’t on fire, the other guys need to step up. Chief still believes Gaffney can give us some offense but he needs to play with more confidence. Moore reminds Chief of Jerome Dyson.

Let’s give our defense some credit, we have great length and some decent strength now. We don’t have the perimeter on the ball guys but our team defense is pretty good. When you lead by double figures and limit your opponent to 38% shooting, you are doing some things right.
I think we are a good rebounding team this season. I like the way we go to the offensive boards.

Chief loves the way Martin attacks the boards. Martin was Chief’s MVP tonight.

A really bad stretch of 8 DePaul points and 5 turnovers by UConn and no timeout. I wish Danny would display more urgency in this type of scenario. The fact that you were up by 24 doesn't matter. Lots of bad habits reinforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Happy New Year colleagues, it’s finally time for UConn MBB again.

Nice to see Adama start, it’s apparent Danny has made a decision that we will have to put together a scoring option from rebounding and posts ups. Josh made a nice contribution to that along with Martin, who did both the inside and outside game tonight.

Adams and Polley gave us a little something from the outside tonight. It would be great if Polley could be a double figure guy this season. He showed a few glimmers of that tonight, but he is still hesitating on his shot. Adams manufactured some much needed scoring tonight.

Cole continues to be limited. If Bouknight isn’t on fire, the other guys need to step up. Chief still believes Gaffney can give us some offense but he needs to play with more confidence. Moore reminds Chief of Janes Dyson.

Let’s give our defense some credit, we have great length and some decent strength now. We don’t have the perimeter on the ball guys but our team defense is pretty good. When you lead by double figures and limit your opponent to 33% shooting, you are doing some things right.
I think we are a good rebounding team this season. I like the way we go to the offensive boards.

Chief loves the way Martin attacks the boards. Martin was Chief’s MVP tonight.

A really bad stretch of 8 DePaul points and 5 turnovers by UConn and no timeout. I wish Danny would display more urgency in this type of scenario. The fact that you were up by 24 doesn't matter. Lots of bad habits reinforced.
Should rename this “Chief’s Long Johns”

Reaction Score
Surprising to see Whaley struggle two games in a row. Gotta work on the foul trouble.
my only little personal nitpick is I would have liked to see sanogo come back in the game before garbage time. I want to see the kid develop and it will be hard for him in such small opportunities.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Cole continues to be limited. If Bouknight isn’t on fire, the other guys need to step up. Chief still believes Gaffney can give us some offense but he needs to play with more confidence. Moore reminds Chief of James Dyson.

This guy?

9D13385B-67E6-408F-B6E3-E5D1C1177728.jpeg

Reaction Score
Bouk--his 3 point shooting was off, in a short season something like this could have an inordinate effect on his draft stock. Really liked his game overall though. Couple bad TOs, but he also had one of his better passing games in the second half.

Tyrese-A+ on the report card. He is a beast of an athlete. If his finishing can continue to be average or better, he is going to be our Robin.

Cole-I liked that he didn't try to do too much tonight. Seemed to recognize that Tyrese was hot and deferred. Veteran quality there. 6 assists, 2 TOs is good. Looked good on defense again--we had a right to be worried about that a year ago. He has put in the work to improve his athleticism.

Whaley--Looked like old Whaley today. He wasn't focused. He'll come back stronger.

Adama--He made some ugly mistakes early with the TO and a bad defensive possession. I'm assuming Hurley wanted to send a message about defense by benching him, but I do really think he deserved some more minutes. I don't love Hurley's short leash with freshman. This isn't URI, if you want to attract top flight talent, your top 100 players need to play.

Carlton--loved that he played angry. Effecient double double. 2 TOs and no assists... bu that's just who josh is at this point. I think being lighter on his feet has helped him tremendously with the pressure we put on DHOs and ball screens.

Adams--looked good early when he didn't try to do too much. We had a 26 point lead and they cut it by 8 in good part because he got selfish again. If he recognizes his role like he did early, we are a much better team for it and he WILL have a place at this level of basketball. If he wants to be Steph Curry, he won't.

Gaffney--the same qualities that sometimes make him an asset have been hurting him lately. He needs to attack. He needs to look for the scoring play instead of the easiest pass. He was a liability tonight and didn't make us better when he was out there IMO. His handle is not where it needs to be right now. He can be a solid floor general if he gets his head right and back to the place he was in the second half of last season.

Polley--Still looks like he's coming back from an injury at times. That being said, the spacing he provides makes everyone else's job easier. The RJ to Polley drive and kick three was great basketball. Simplicity wins games--and shooting is simple.

Coach--He still waits too long for timeouts. Offense was improved. defense looked great. Our baseline inbounds plays looked great (one was stolen from tom at Quinnipiac). Guys are all really strong in the new SnC program. Staff is tight. Substitutions made more sense (assuming the thing with Sanogo was because of defense and sending a message).

Overall, a great game for the TEAMS confidence. When we have 4 or more guys who can score at any given time we are a great team because we our grounded in aggressive defense. #3 in the big east imo.

Reaction Score
We've got to fix our pg play on offense. With so many weapons it would be great to have a distributor (assist focused) and floor coach. Might be asking for too much with a transfer who scores and a 'slowly' developing sophomore. Still early with a handful of games, but if we get that position set, we can beat anyone.

Guards Hurley, Moore and Taliek are there, so l'm looking to them to make the improvements.

Reaction Score
I’ve got to admit, I was wrong about Martin. I was skeptical of him over the summer but he has provided such a boost to this team. A gritty player who does a little bit of everything, he was superb tonight. Someone that really embodies Big East style of basketball

C

Chief00

We've got to fix our pg play on offense. With so many weapons it would be great to have a distributor (assist focused) and floor coach. Might be asking for too much with a transfer who scores and a 'slowly' developing sophomore. Still early with a handful of games, but if we get that position set, we can beat anyone.

Guards Hurley, Moore and Taliek are there, so l'm looking to them to make the improvements.
Agree, that will be one of the two issues this year.

Reaction Score
Great game, great effort. Bottom line is we won by 21, covered, and beat the Ken Pom spread. Tyrese Martin is going to be a serious threat, Bouknight is going to score 20 PPG effortlessly, and there is still help on the way with Akok coming back soon. We are going to be a serious threat.

P.S. Gampel would have been electric after that Bouknight windmill.

Reaction Score
A few things that I really liked tonight

- The offense wasn't reliant on Bouknight tonight, lots of other players being agressive within the offense

- I thought the ball movement in the 1st half was a lot better. Significantly less passing around the perimeter just for the sake of doing something

- Carlton is going to keep playing. Luckily we have 3 legitimate 5's with Whaley, Carlton, Sanogo. Would be nice if eventually 2 have a good game at the same time

Reaction Score
Bouk--his 3 point shooting was off, in a short season something like this could have an inordinate effect on his draft stock. Really liked his game overall though. Couple bad TOs, but he also had one of his better passing games in the second half.

Tyrese-A+ on the report card. He is a beast of an athlete. If his finishing can continue to be average or better, he is going to be our Robin.

Cole-I liked that he didn't try to do too much tonight. Seemed to recognize that Tyrese was hot and deferred. Veteran quality there. 6 assists, 2 TOs is good. Looked good on defense again--we had a right to be worried about that a year ago. He has put in the work to improve his athleticism.

Whaley--Looked like old Whaley today. He wasn't focused. He'll come back stronger.

Adama--He made some ugly mistakes early with the TO and a bad defensive possession. I'm assuming Hurley wanted to send a message about defense by benching him, but I do really think he deserved some more minutes. I don't love Hurley's short leash with freshman. This isn't URI, if you want to attract top flight talent, your top 100 players need to play.

Carlton--loved that he played angry. Effecient double double. 2 TOs and no assists... bu that's just who josh is at this point. I think being lighter on his feet has helped him tremendously with the pressure we put on DHOs and ball screens.

Adams--looked good early when he didn't try to do too much. We had a 26 point lead and they cut it by 8 in good part because he got selfish again. If he recognizes his role like he did early, we are a much better team for it and he WILL have a place at this level of basketball. If he wants to be Steph Curry, he won't.

Gaffney--the same qualities that sometimes make him an asset have been hurting him lately. He needs to attack. He needs to look for the scoring play instead of the easiest pass. He was a liability tonight and didn't make us better when he was out there IMO. His handle is not where it needs to be right now. He can be a solid floor general if he gets his head right and back to the place he was in the second half of last season.

Polley--Still looks like he's coming back from an injury at times. That being said, the spacing he provides makes everyone else's job easier. The RJ to Polley drive and kick three was great basketball. Simplicity wins games--and shooting is simple.

Coach--He still waits too long for timeouts. Offense was improved. defense looked great. Our baseline inbounds plays looked great (one was stolen from tom at Quinnipiac). Guys are all really strong in the new SnC program. Staff is tight. Substitutions made more sense (assuming the thing with Sanogo was because of defense and sending a message).

Overall, a great game for the TEAMS confidence. When we have 4 or more guys who can score at any given time we are a great team because we our grounded in aggressive defense. #3 in the big east imo.
The Cole, Gaffney, Adams line up is troubling, it just doesn’t work well. Seems like a bad stretch for Adam’s was with that line up. No real wing threat in that line up. This would’ve been a perfect game for Andre to get some run and start to assert him self into that line up, but the injury obviously prevents that. I’ll be closely watching what they’ll do with that line up. Ajax hasn’t played well yet obviously, but I felt like in the next 4-6 weeks he would’ve been primed to break out with the second unit. Something to monitor there.

Reaction Score

you aren't giving nba gm's enough credit. scouting is really sophisticated in 2020. all of bouk's threes in this game were chucks and won't be seriously counted against him. teams look closer at ft% as an indicator of nba shooting than they do college 3p%.

C

Chief00

Great insights. You must have been watching the game too and not the chat thread LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom