Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition

Reaction Score
Tough to win shooting FG’s 9% less efficiently than your opponent and turnovers at key points in the game. That’s on us! Not enough ball and body movement. Poor decision making.

There have been worse officiated games this year but there were touch or phantom fouls - all against us of course. Tough to win in a close game when your opponent gets almost four (4) times as many foul shot attempts. They built a second half lead without scoring a FG over an 8 minute period.

The high hedge highlighted its vulnerability again with Sanogo repeatedly being caught on a guard 23 feet from the hoop, while Creighton’s Big rolled unguarded to the hoop with UConn’s guard in no man’s land.

The other thing the high hedge does, that it’s proponents don’t acknowledge, is that it leave us in terrible fundamental defensive position that leads to fouls. Our talent sometimes mitigated that but today we paid the price putting them to the line.

I really liked the defensive energy Diarra brought late in the first half. It gets us in an up tempo on offense too. After playing some great position defense in recent games, I thought Andre went for the pump fake today and played defense with his hands and not his feet.

Sanogo dropping threes is yet another argument for a Double Big, as if we needed another. He was our best three point shooter today. Adama dropping threes and Donovan protecting the rim on D, would make us a deep team in a Double Big March. In the first half the 2 Bigs shot 54%FG, the rest of the team 25%. It is criminal to underutilize minutes on the two who contribute to the 54%. That’s almost a 30% spread! Basic math!

Sanogo played well today. Hawkins’s started too late.

Hawkins has a high ceiling and certainly has showed improvement this year. However, he needs to learn how to get his scoring going when his jumper is slow to get started.

Reaction Score
Enough games have been played. I love AJ but it is time he comes off the bench. NA holds his own on D and is a way better on offense. It is difficult to run an offense in a half court setting ( which happens at least 90% of the time) and watch them sag off AJ.

Reaction Score
I know your blind to Jackson's weaknesses like coach but you can't write up this up without mentioning the black hole Jackson is on offense.

Creighton leaves him open 20 feet in all directions and it clogs up our offense downlow. It's painful.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to address Andre’s shooting. When they use his man to double, he should seldom be in the position to take bad shots. He controls where he is on the court and if he’s not comfortable shooting there, he should go where he is. Personally, I would like to see him on the baseline around the basket. Also, at the foul line but take a foul shot not a floater. He can make foul shots. Also he can shoot 3’s from two spots, so in the glow of the game he should do that.
If we had double bigs I would love to run him off that for drives.

Reaction Score
I know your blind to Jackson's weaknesses like coach but you can't write up this up without mentioning the black hole Jackson is on offense.

Creighton leaves him open 20 feet in all directions and it clogs up our offense downlow. It's painful.
I wanted to do a deep dive on that rather than in a summary - so read the deep dive.

Reaction Score
How many points did they score off the high hedge. I remember 2 and that was because Karaban didn’t rotate. Chief, sometimes I respect what you say but time to give it up.

Reaction Score
Enough games have been played. I love AJ but it is time he comes off the bench. NA holds his own on D and is a way better on offense. It is difficult to run an offense in a half court setting ( which happens at least 90% of the time) and watch them sag off AJ.
Andre shot better today than 3 of our guards.
Jackson 3-11
Newton 1-4
Joey C 0-2
Alleyne 1-6
And Hawkins shot a few % better at 3-13
The backcourt did not do their jobs.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to address Andre’s shooting. When they use his man to double, he should seldom be in the position to take bad shots. He controls where he is on the court and if he’s not comfortable shooting there, he should go where he is. Personally, I would like to see him on the baseline around the basket. Also, at the foul line but take a foul shot not a floater. He can make foul shots. Also he can shoot 3’s from two spots, so in the glow of the game he should do that.
Sorry Chief but your too much personally connected to AJ. Take your blinders off.

Reaction Score
"If we had double bigs I would to run him off that for drives"
That should produce a ton of offense.
Sarcasm in case you did not know

Reaction Score
Andre shot better today than 3 of our guards.
Jackson 3-11
Newton 1-4
Joey C 0-2
Alleyne 1-6
And Hawkins shot a few % better at 3-13
The backcourt did not do their jobs.
Look at the entire season chief, not just one game

Reaction Score
He needs to be benched. Stop with the excuses

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This loss is not on Andre. We have no real PG. We held them to 0 field goals in the second half for almost 8 minutes straight! Andre does that. This is on our offense. The D was filthy today. Where was AK? Newton? Even Hawk played meh. Sanogo was the only one to show up.

Reaction Score
Tough to win shooting FG’s 9% less efficiently than your opponent and turnovers at key points in the game. That’s on us! Not enough ball and body movement. Poor decision making.

There have been worse officiated games this year but there were touch or phantom fouls - all against us of course. Tough to win in a close game when your opponent gets almost four (4) times as many foul shot attempts. They built a second half lead without scoring a FG over an 8 minute period.

The high hedge highlighted its vulnerability again with Sanogo repeatedly being caught on a guard 23 feet from the hoop, while Creighton’s Big rolled unguarded to the hoop with UConn’s guard in no man’s land.

The other thing the high hedge does, that it’s proponents don’t acknowledge, is that it leave us in terrible fundamental defensive position that leads to fouls. Our talent sometimes mitigated that but today we paid the price putting them to the line.

I really liked the defensive energy Diarra brought late in the first half. It gets us in an up tempo on offense too. After playing some great position defense in recent games, I thought Andre went for the pump fake today and played defense with his hands and not his feet.

Sanogo dropping threes is yet another argument for a Double Big, as if we needed another. He was our best three point shooter today. Adama dropping threes and Donovan protecting the rim on D, would make us a deep team in a Double Big March. In the first half the 2 Bigs shot 54%FG, the rest of the team 25%. It is criminal to underutilize minutes on the two who contribute to the 54%. That’s almost a 30% spread! Basic math!

Sanogo played well today. Hawkins’s started too late.

Hawkins has a high ceiling and certainly has showed improvement this year. However, he needs to learn how to get his scoring going when his jumper is slow to get started.
Chief your boy Jackson needs to come off the bench and never be in on crunch time when we need to score. He is a horrible liability on offense. Funny you were asking him to be our PG at one time. LOL!

Reaction Score
This loss is not on Andre. We have no real PG. We held them to 0 field goals in the second half for almost 8 minutes straight! Andre does that. This is on our offense. The D was filthy today. Where was AK? Newton? Even Hawk played meh. Sanogo was the only one to show up.
The problem is Andre's man gets to sag 20 feet off him and sit in the paint. That leaves no room for drives. If ANY team we play going forward doesn't sag off Jackson like Creighton did should fire their coaching staff.

Reaction Score
post season is all guard play. if we’re going to win the BET or NCAA , newton needs to show up. not saying he’s kemba or bazz, but gimme more triple or double doubles

Reaction Score
I have the same opinion: you can't win a big game when you are playing 5 vs. 4 on offence. Jackson can shoot free throws. He has to at a minimum take the ball to the hoop and try to force a layup, otherwise, you just bring him in on defense.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Andre is so in his head now that he takes the wrong shots. I wanted him to take more actually

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom