Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition

Reaction Score
Clingan had 2 fouls quick but when in there really affected the game in many ways. Sanogo was brilliant, Clingan can get better watching some of those moves.
Yes but he sees those moves at practice. They are 2 different players skill and impact on the game wise.. I was surprised when he did not get subbed in at the 14 minute mark of the second half. Remember he was put back in in the first half with 2 fouls.

Reaction Score
Another thing to wok on has to do with rebounding. Everyone needs to put a body on their man then go get the ball. Roughly equal number of shot misses by both teams but outrebounded by 15 isn’t good. Admittedly some of that was Kaluma with 16, who went over people several times.
Not just over. He got away with an awful lot of shoving away folks who had him boxed out with his body without ever being called for it.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Firstly, I am ecstatic that UConn beat Creighton to get that whammy off their backs.
I am scratching my head as are 5 of my buddies as to how a team can hold another team to one field goal in 12 of the final 14 minutes and not win by at least 20.
AS came up big on the offense today - a really good thing. He still needs to be much more actively on his D and where are the rebounds? He had 9 but they were mostly bounces to him. He tips too many loose balls rather that get better position and go up and grab the ball. UConn doesn't win this game without AS's offense today.
DC needs to play more minutes. I love AK but he plays too many minutes and DC not nearly enough. Still trying to understand why DH is so determined to stick AK on the opponents best player
JoeyC has lost his shot. He needs to get it back - real soon
I thought Diarra added a real nice spark in the 2nd half.
This UConn team commits some mind numbing fouls, the lack of discipline is baffling.
I thought Hawk played with much more control. Needs to finish on his drives and keep driving. Played some nice D
Really good and much needed win for UConn
On to Marquette (who beat Gtown by 22 today)

Reaction Score
We’re lucky Creighton had an abysmal shooting performance from 3 today or that would’ve been our 3rd straight loss.

They had some open looks in the second half and missed them. That’s what tends to happen when you guard the line well early on. We choked off the 3 point line in the first half.

Reaction Score
the rebound discrepancy was bad in the box score, but you have to consider the fact that 1.) they turned the ball over 13 times to our 5, eliminating the chance for defensive boards and 2.) i think every one of our 8 blocked shots went out-of-bounds, which counts as a "team" offensive rebound for them.

the rebounding wasn't great, but the numbers are pretty inflated.

Reaction Score
Firstly, I am ecstatic that UConn beat Creighton to get that whammy off their backs.
I am scratching my head as are 5 of my buddies as to how a team can hold another team to one field goal in 12 of the final 14 minutes and not win by at least 20.
AS came up big on the offense today - a really good thing. He still needs to be much more actively on his D and where are the rebounds? He had 9 but they were mostly bounces to him. He tips too many loose balls rather that get better position and go up and grab the ball. UConn doesn't win this game without AS's offense today.
DC needs to play more minutes. I love AK but he plays too many minutes and DC not nearly enough. Still trying to understand why DH is so determined to stick AK on the opponents best player
JoeyC has lost his shot. He needs to get it back - real soon
I thought Diarra added a real nice spark in the 2nd half.
This UConn team commits some mind numbing fouls, the lack of discipline is baffling.
I thought Hawk played with much more control. Needs to finish on his drives and keep driving. Played some nice D
Really good and much needed win for UConn
On to Marquette (who beat Gtown by 22 today)
The high hedging against a well coach team really impacts Sanogo’s defensive rebounding. Tough to rebound when you are running back to the basket from 23 feet out. I do think Hawkins is underrated as a defensive player.
Danny doesn’t have fouls called in practice, maybe he should for awhile. Guys need to tighten up some defensive fundamentals and the high hedge tends to leave guys a step behind the play, which often creates a foul. Offensively, guys need to know how to draw fouls.

Reaction Score
Not just over. He got away with an awful lot of shoving folks who had him boxed out away with his body without ever being called for it.
This is a great point. I was at the game, and it was very apparent.

Reaction Score
the rebound discrepancy was bad in the box score, but you have to consider the fact that 1.) they turned the ball over 13 times to our 5, eliminating the chance for defensive boards and 2.) i think every one of our 8 blocked shots went out-of-bounds, which counts as a "team" offensive rebound for them.

the rebounding wasn't great, but the numbers are pretty inflated.
Chief did not know that a block shot out of bounds, counts as an offensive rebound for the other team. I was going to bring something up about blocking out of bounds but thought directing a block as a Russell or Walton would do, is a little beyond our current skill set. Maybe Jackson and Clingan would have potential and mindset to potentially do?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Since I looked at the ESPN boxscore, which divides the team up by starters/bench, I was trying to understand why the made shot I saw I did not consider to be a bench shot - looking at everything fast to post as soon as game ended - the only explanation is on my head I consider him a starter.

1D1B23B4-749D-41AB-B510-1FFB9C5E4CAA.gif

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We’re lucky Creighton had an abysmal shooting performance from 3 today or that would’ve been our 3rd straight loss.

You talk as if our defense had nothing to do with it. We're one of the best three point defensive teams in the country. It's not luck

Is that you Donny?

Reaction Score
It was pretty effective for 4 minutes against PC. Why not try it and see? When you get out rebounded, it is hard to justify playing one of your best rebounders 9 minutes. They got 20 offensive rebounds. I believe Clingan can change the game, we don’t have a lot of guys who do that.
It seemed like C play zone quite a bit in this game. The penetration of guards in recent games resulted when our guards got beat and our bigs were in foul trouble. Why not play more zone when this happens. That defensive position also puts us in better position to control defensive rebounds and guards again some burly dudes taking so many offensive rebounds. Just change up the look from time to time.

I'd like to see the defensive/offensive rebound metrics when Clingan is on the floor. It sure seems like he makes a big difference and opposing teams don't have an easy answer.

Reaction Score
It seemed like C play zone quite a bit in this game. The penetration of guards in recent games resulted when our guards got beat and our bigs were in foul trouble. Why not play more zone when this happens. That defensive position also puts us in better position to control defensive rebounds and guards again some burly dudes taking so many offensive rebounds. Just change up the look from time to time.

I'd like to see the defensive/offensive rebound metrics when Clingan is on the floor. It sure seems like he makes a big difference and opposing teams don't have an easy answer.
I really don’t see what the problem is regardless of defense. Hurley has Sanogo defensively playing guards 23 feet from the basket in the half court anyways. Karaban has consistently been abused on defense with drives to the rim the last few conference games, so why not have a 7-2 shot blocker in there.

Reaction Score
This is not true! Our great team defensive effort led by low post offense was the difference.
Both things are true. Team played excellent defense and Creighton missed some makeable shots at times.

Reaction Score
I really dislike the fact that trying to draw a foul is a strategy.

I know I'm the only one who feels this way but to me that is not playing basketball. Play to win and play hard. If you get fouled, great, that's on the defense. If you are the better player you are going to get fouled, period. I don't think stepping in at the last second to draw a charge or faking and then jumping into your defender or any type of flopping whatsoever should be a part of basketball fundamentals. Just seems unsportsmanlike to me and I've always felt 1. it sucks to watch and 2. refs are suckers and fall for it. I appreciate players who try to avoid contact in order to make a better basketball play.

Basketball is most enjoyable when they are allowed to run up and down the court with continuous play. Multiple whistles on every possession is painful to watch. Yeah, I know, it's just me, but that's kool.

Reaction Score
I posted the original at 2:20pm, and a correction 7 minutes later when I notice it, and before anyone commented. Because of the 5 minute max edit rule imposed on this forum, I was unable to correct the OP and added the comment. Who’s digging their hole deeper?

Reaction Score

So far I have watched the first 15 minutes of the first half again. Creighton has yet to play a zone, Kaluma has maybe 3 rebounds, pushed off once and Schwerneiner (need spellcheck here) has 2 baskets, both vs Alleyne.

Reaction Score
Some of these takes are absolutely laughable!
What is laughable about it?

I think that was an uncharacteristically bad shooting performance from 3 by Creighton. I understand that we have an elite 3 pt defense which would explain some of their poor shooting, but they also missed many wide open looks.

Didn’t seem to me that we outclassed them in a way that would convince me that we have righted the ship after the past two losses.

Ultimately I don’t derive as much confidence from this win as the score would imply.

Reaction Score

I think that was an uncharacteristically bad shooting performance from 3 by Creighton. I understand that we have an elite 3 pt defense which would explain some of their poor shooting, but they also missed many wide open looks.

Didn’t seem to me that we outclassed them in a way that would convince me that we have righted the ship after the past two losses.

Ultimately I don’t derive as much confidence from this win as the score would imply.
I do.

Reaction Score

Again, I think having practice scrimmages officiated would really help. For a team high ranked at defense, we have a lot of fundamental flaws. Reckless intensity needs to be substituted by smart intensity.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score

Same could be said if UConn was hitting their 3’s the past couple games. Goes both ways.

Reaction Score

By this logic you probably shouldn't have experienced a dip in confidence from our 2 losses because they were caused by the same anomaly (poor shooting, but by US).

I can think of a couple dozen open looks we would normally have made, that didn't drop. Those 2 games are totally different if we don't miss a bunch of open looks.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, teams were concerned with our transition game and dropping everyone back after the shot. Lately we have played teams that are contesting out defensive board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom