Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition

Reaction Score
In the first half we went to Adama in the paint and that frees up everyone else. Clingan (75% FG) and Sanogo (60% FG) are efficient in their season FG attempts. Sanogo had a huge game as expected in the first half. In the second half he puzzling decided to be a quick shot 3 point shooter before going back to the paint. Still though getting a minimum of foul shots despite numerous posts in the paint.

Rebounding should be a priority at practice. We got rebounded by nearly 15. We played good defense 32% FG and 12% 3FG.

The three key non Bigs (Jackson, Hawkins and Newton) got the Non Sanogo points. The bench got zero points. A disturbing trend.

In the second half Hurley forgot Clingan was on the team except for one key stretch when we played good. It is mystifying Donovan isn’t in there more. Perhaps that’s why our rebounding was so bad? Clingan is a better player than Karaban, especially rebounding. Disappointing the lack of using Double Big. What is Danny thinking?

Diarra, Joey C and Alleyne are all really struggling in their shooting. Lately, there are very few points coming off the bench. Chief is always skeptical of early season media proclaimed depth. Time for these guys to work their way out of this slump. Diarra did supply some energy in the second half.

While a work in progress Karaban played tougher today. Better boxing out on rebounds, and did a little better staying in front of his man, but he made some mid range shots. Still not physically there yet and only made one shot.

Jackson is so critical to our success. Chief can’t emphasize that enough. He makes everyone else better and is so unselfish. A true Team Captain and Leader. We are so fortunate to have him.

It makes a difference when foul shooting is relatively equal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sanogo was good. Creighton didn't double him and he had time to work his moves and get shots.

Diarra's box score line will not in any way, shape or form, quantify how he destroyed Creighton's guards, especially in the second half.

UConn and any other high level BE team is screwed with the refs. The game has passed by many of the people wearing stripes and they can't effectively ref games with high level players. Two calls which really stood out were a block on Karaban when Kaluma was backing him down. The ref with the best view let the play go but the ref whose view was completely obstructed calls a foul on Karaban. The other really bad call was the loose ball where Jackson absolutely comes out of no where and makes contact with the ball first and then they call the foul on Jackson when there was contact. Both were terrible.

Great showing by the students and crowd today. If this game was at XL, it's a snooze fest.

Midway in second half, someone on UConn (I forget who) throws up a shot, Karaban gets the offensive board and is blocked/stripped. Karaban gets that loose ball and scored on his second try. That was a huge play.

I had a feeling Hawkins would shoot lights out and he did.

Hurley eventually figured out the Newton/Diarra rotation. Diarra would be a defensive pest while Newton was resting and then Newton came in with some timely scoring.

Clingan played big all day today.

Watched the pregame interview between Donnie and McDermott. McDermott is a big dude. He dwarfed Donnie.

If UConn needs an HC any time in the next 5 years, I'd be perfectly happy seeing McDermoott coaching at UConn.

I have no idea why Hendry was on the bench with an N95 mask. Whether he is potentially contagious or is susceptible to getting sick, he's a freshman walk-on and wasn't going to play today. Even if he showed up this morning and wasn't feeling well, send him over to Werth to watch the game or something else.

Reaction Score
I think Clingan is a great player, I think he will do some things that no one in a Husky jersey ever has. But he is a freshman, we have an all American on our team that scores without the assist and can do things with his feet that I have not seen from too many his size. The court is not big enough for both of them, not with their similar games. Clingan is a god send for AS, he gives our POY rest that he was not able to get before, and with little drop off in production. But if you give DC starting minutes, you will see the freshman in him, a la one of our other awesome freshman, AK. Give the big guy some time to adjust before putting the pressure on him to be a savior. IMHO. Or in other words… stop fan boying on DC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing about playing both Clingan and Sanogo at the same time is that they are both at their best in the paint. So, I guess Sanogo becomes a “stretch four” in that scenario? That’s not who is. Against decent teams maybe, we can steal an extra minute or so for Donovan doing that but it isn’t a a go to thing in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Hawkins calmed it down today with his shot. Seems like he and Joey C had been rushing against Providence and Xavier…I think that’s where the illusion of Hawkins kicking his leg out comes from….rushing and elevating more than he usually does. I could be wrong but that’s what it looked like to me.

Reaction Score
No sale. Just admit you made a mistake.
Since I looked at the ESPN boxscore, which divides the team up by starters/bench, I was trying to understand why the made shot I saw I did not consider to be a bench shot - looking at everything fast to post as soon as game ended - the only explanation is on my head I consider him a starter.

Reaction Score
Hawkins was good and had some great shots but 4-13 is lights out?
Well in fairness he was 6 for 6 from the foul line and 3 for 7 from three for 17 points. Not bad, as Jim Calhoun would say, I publish an in-depth summary of the game and I write in real time and then edit it as game changes back and forth. So as he missed a few shots in the middle of the second half I probably could have moderated it some to be “good” as you say vs. “lights out”.

Reaction Score
We’re lucky Creighton had an abysmal shooting performance from 3 today or that would’ve been our 3rd straight loss.
UConn missed some open 3s as well, but yes I was relieved when Scheirman wasn't making his shots. Even with the questionable officiating at Providence I thought UConn missed too many open 3s. If they knocked down 2-3 more that outlook of that game would've changed dramatically.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hawkins was good and had some great shots but 4-13 is lights out?
Well in fairness he was 6 for 6 from the foul line and 3 for 7 from three for 17 points. Not bad, as Jim Calhoun would say, I publish an in-depth summary of the game and I write in real time and then edit it as game changes back and forth. So as he missed a few shots in the middle of the second half I probably could have moderated it some to be “good” as you say vs. “lights out”.

3-7 from 3 and had another pure look and make waved off on a BS call from refs. 6-6 from the line on 2 more attempts where he was fouled. I'll take Hawkins box score every game going forward.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Sanogo was good. Creighton didn't double him and he had time to work his moves and get shots.
Puzzling that they didn’t double, as that had worked relatively well for X & PC. I didnt see Sanogo looking to kick out at all, no matter how long he had to wheel and deal. But with no double that was effective.

Reaction Score
The freshmen Karaban & Clingan will both get much stronger, especially in their legs. That's when I think we'll really see them improve and not get called for fouling as much. I wasn't too worried about the rebounding. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce the right way and I'd rather see them miss a rebound then get called for being too aggressive, at least if that's how the refs are calling it.

Great all-around effort. I also like seeing Joey C even if he's not making shots. He speeds the game up and makes things happen.

Reaction Score
Puzzling that they didn’t double, as that had worked relatively well for X & PC. I didnt see Sanogo looking to kick out at all, no matter how long he had to wheel and deal. But with no double that was effective.
We were ready for the double I think. Jackson was constantly cutting his man for a possible layup. They did double us once with Diarra in there whcih worked for them. Probably should have done it all the time when we had both Diarra and Jackson in.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Another thing to wok on has to do with rebounding. Everyone needs to put a body on their man then go get the ball. Roughly equal number of shot misses by both teams but outrebounded by 15 isn’t good. Admittedly some of that was Kaluma with 16, who went over people several times.

Reaction Score
Was at the game - and I'm not a technician like some of you are. It appears we are putting in the effort on rebounding, but for the 3rd game in a row we seem to be giving up a lot of boards / 2nd / 3rd chances. When they made their run in the 2nd half it got to a 21-38 rebound deficit for us. It finished 34-49 so we were a little better than over the last 10 minutes and it showed on the scoreboard.

We are hustling - steals 6-1. Just not sure if we are doing something position wise that is hurting us on the boards.

Reaction Score
I think Clingan is a great player, I think he will do some things that no one in a Husky jersey ever has. But he is a freshman, we have an all American on our team that scores without the assist and can do things with his feet that I have not seen from too many his size. The court is not big enough for both of them, not with their similar games. Clingan is a god send for AS, he gives our POY rest that he was not able to get before, and with little drop off in production. But if you give DC starting minutes, you will see the freshman in him, a la one of our other awesome freshman, AK. Give the big guy some time to adjust before putting the pressure on him to be a savior. IMHO. Or in other words… stop fan boying on DC.
I think you present a false choice that they need to be 100% mutually exclusive. Why not play Double Big as Chief has been advocating?

Reaction Score
Was at the game - and I'm not a technician like some of you are. It appears we are putting in the effort on rebounding, but for the 3rd game in a row we seem to be giving up a lot of boards / 2nd / 3rd chances. When they made their run in the 2nd half it got to a 21-38 rebound deficit for us. It finished 34-49 so we were a little better than over the last 10 minutes and it showed on the scoreboard.

We are hustling - steals 6-1. Just not sure if we are doing something position wise that is hurting us on the boards.
I think we are not boxing out well at all positions and the other team has a strength advantage at a few positions. Another reason for Double Bigs.
The High Hedging also throws us out of position with horrible rebound switch matches.

Reaction Score
The thing about playing both Clingan and Sanogo at the same time is that they are both at their best in the paint. So, I guess Sanogo becomes a “stretch four” in that scenario? That’s not who is. Against decent teams maybe, we can steal an extra minute or so for Donovan doing that but it isn’t a a go to thing in my opinion.
It was pretty effective for 4 minutes against PC. Why not try it and see? When you get out rebounded, it is hard to justify playing one of your best rebounders 9 minutes. They got 20 offensive rebounds. I believe Clingan can change the game, we don’t have a lot of guys who do that.

Reaction Score
Karaban has had to run a gauntlet of Freemantle (who had a huge game today vs Nova), Hopkins, and Kaluma. Seeing Kaluma in person vs AK it is really apparent how hard his job was to compete with him. There was a point in the second half where Creighton was plus 20 in rebounds. We were working but some of our players are not that physical and other times Sanogo was nowhere near the rebound. Maybe someone can do a tape review to see what is going on.
In the last 8 minutes we were running O vs D lineup changes and we had 2 players on the floor who had zero points. Our bench guys need to help out more.
We beat a good team and did not shoot lights out. Moved and shared the ball well. Played intense defense and did not turn it over much. The offensive foul called on Jackson taking away a made 3 by Hawk was crap.
Donovan playing 8 minutes I do not get.

Reaction Score
Karaban has had to run a gauntlet of Freemantle (who had a huge game today vs Nova), Hopkins, and Kaluma. Seeing Kaluma in person vs AK it is really apparent how hard his job was to compete with him. There was a point in the second half where Creighton was plus 20 in rebounds. We were working but some of our players are not that physical and other times Sanogo was nowhere near the rebound. Maybe someone can do a tape review to see what is going on.
In the last 8 minutes we were running O vs D lineup changes and we had 2 players on the floor who had zero points. Our bench guys need to help out more.
We beat a good team and did not shoot lights out. Moved and shared the ball well. Played intense defense and did not turn it over much. The offensive foul called on Jackson taking away a made 3 by Hawk was crap.
Donovan playing 8 minutes I do not get.
Clingan had 2 fouls quick but when in there really affected the game in many ways. Sanogo was brilliant, Clingan can get better watching some of those moves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom