Chief’s Briefs - @ Cincy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - @ Cincy

Reaction Score
No chance without Jalen, but damn we struggle with basic things like the GD, inbounds pass. It's a shame what Ollie has let this devolve into.

C

Chief00

Palatine's critique of Chief Briefs.

I am so tired of the announcers using the conference as an excuse for our failings. Cincy is exhibit A why that’s a foolish argument. And as they admitted we had a top ten class two years ago and they transferred out.

Memo to Jalen Adams - wash your hands a lot in flu season.

Reasonable points, I agree.

UConn really did poorly on grad transfers. Why are we playing Dave O over the younger guys, at least get some benefit of this mess.

Anderson would be a nice third ball handler which is what he brought in to be. Without him we lose by 40 tonight. Chief is clueless as pertains to Anderson.

Totally overmatched tonight - no nice way to say it.

A couple of games ago, I broke things down and Chief heard posters say what about the bottomline? When a game is as noncompetitive as tonight - no point over analyzing.

I apologize, before the game I thought it was kind of amazing that I kept up with the Briefs despite 30 point blowouts but with Jalen we had problems getting the ball to halfcourt. Give Cronin credit for his press taking advantage of our vulnerability.

First, we broke the press and got a ton of easy baskets early on. Cronin had to soften the back court pressure. Second, you shouldn't break your arm patting yourself on the back. That has to hurt.

Carlton gets his shot blocked too easily. No explosion.

Carlton is a young monster. He gets exposed playing against seniors. His "explosion" is NOT a problem, it is knowing what to do in certain situations. In two years his "explosion" will not be an issue. That is just flat out dumb.

In case there ever was a doubt, Larrier can’t even come close to carrying a team.

Obvious. But who has ever thought Larrier should carry us? Straw man.

Ollie!s always looking for a reason to deep bench Williams - tonight it was an offsetting technical. Not a fan of that either but at least he fought.

Complete agree.

Unbelievable how out of shape Cobb looks running the court. At this point in the season,how could he be so out of shape?

WTF are you watching? He looked more in shape than most of the team. His problem isn't stamina or energy, he doesn't channel it properly.

I hate being irrelevant.

That is your fate.

A teacher with a Red correction pen, a long Chief nemesis!

I agree on Anderson tonight, he’s perhaps better than Magic Cobb bringing the ball up. However, I still maintain he wasn’ t a good grad transfer addition if our team was merely competitive.

Cobb was definitely sucking wind - several times he did not make it much beyond half court.

As for Cincy’s press, it was very effective. It wore us down and we struggled to get the ball to half court and into any kind of offense .

Last edited by a moderator:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
DVR'd the game. Started watching until the end of the first half. Fast forward it slowly enough to see the score. Said if it gets to ten I'll watch in real time.

Damn near got to 30.

Ollie has absolutely embarassed himself letting the program get to this point.

Reaction Score
Yeah, well there is always the nice game with ECU were our offense looked good. Though our defense was a no show. I know when they announced Jalen was out there was going to be no chance. I was just hoping that we might see less hero ball without Jalen. Unfortunately there was no crisp offense with passing inside out and just hero ball with guards who are barely qualified to shoot open jumpers. LOL! I quit watching when they got down 23 in the second half. Just isn't to fun to watch this team play. There is no intensity on the boards and skill level is so low it is unbelievable to say this is a UCONN team.

Kind of need to blame yourself here if you thought Jalen was the main problem with the offense.

Reaction Score
A teacher with a Red correction pen, a long Chief nemesis!

I agree on Anderson tonight, he’s perhaps better than Magic Cobb bringing the ball up. However, I still maintain he wasn’ t a good grad transfer addition if our team was merely competitive.

Cobb was definitely sucking wind - several times he did not make it much beyond half court.

As for Cincy’s press, it was very effective. It wore us down and we struggled to get the ball to half court and into any kind of offense .

Chief I always try to give you props, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I thought our team did a fairly good job of handling the Press without Jalen. It wasn't like turnovers were all that frequent and a big part of why we lost, we just don't execute and Cincinnati's a lot better team than we are.

Reaction Score
It is torture and sometimes we all laugh at the absurdity Big Ern but we are trying to see if their is improvement somewhere. Not seeing it unfortunately.

"Quite frankly", we have seen crappy teams that play over their heads and shock a top 25 team. We have been the victim in games like this over the years.

But this team is never even competitive. We're now, what, like 0-18 against top 25 teams, with no game within 8 points, over the last 2 years? This team doesn't even have a pulse.

Reaction Score
"Quite frankly", we have seen crappy teams that play over their heads and shock a top 25 team. We have been the victim in games like this over the years.

But this team is never even competitive. We're now, what, like 0-18 against top 25 teams, with no game within 8 points, over the last 2 years? This team doesn't even have a pulse.
Yeah, and it will continue if the administration can't get rid of KO at the end of the season.

C

Chief00

Chief I always try to give you props, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I thought our team did a fairly good job of handling the Press without Jalen. It wasn't like turnovers were all that frequent and a big part of why we lost, we just don't execute and Cincinnati's a lot better team than we are.

I agree they were a lot better. If you look at the shot clock we did not really get into our offense (whatever that is) below the top of the circle until there wasn’ t much time left - if we made it that far. Agree, it’s all academic at this point.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I am so tired of the announcers using the conference as an excuse for our failings. Cincy is exhibit A why that’s a foolish argument. And as they admitted we had a top ten class two years ago and they transferred out.

UConn really did poorly on grad transfers. Why are we playing Dave O over the younger guys, at least get some benefit of this mess.

A couple of games ago, I broke things down and Chief heard posters say what about the bottomline? When a game is as noncompetitive as tonight - no point over analyzing.

I apologize, before the game I thought it was kind of amazing that I kept up with the Briefs despite 30 point blowouts but with Jalen we had problems getting the ball to halfcourt. Give Cronin credit for his press taking advantage of our vulnerability.

In case there ever was a doubt, Larrier can’t even come close to carrying a team.

Ollie!s always looking for a reason to deep bench Williams - tonight it was an offsetting technical. Not a fan of that either but at least he fought.

Unbelievable how out of shape Cobb looks running the court. At this point in the season,how could he be so out of shape?

I hate being irrelevant.
It would be great if all of sudden DO and UConn found that Cornell does, in fact, offer the grad program he desires. He could leave tomorrow and make it to class on Monday and just stop this silly basketball thing. He is not a basketball player. Period.

Reaction Score

Josh Carlton is Phil Nolan reincarnated. The triumph of hope over ability and reality. Outmuscled for rebounds. Stupid fouls. Uncanny ability to whiff on putbacks. But mention this and you get pushback about his "Carlton has great footwork!"

Somehow another 25-point loss goes down easier because, I guess, of that great footwork.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So I made the right call spending time with my favorite 5th grader while she walked me through her Invention Convention entry that is due on 2/26 and she began work on 1/12?
I wouldn't have started until this upcoming weekend.

Reaction Score
Executive Summary: Kevin Ollie has managed to transform UConn basketball into low level, division 1 basketball program that cannot compete against top tier teams.

UConn basketball will likely finish with more losses than wins this season.

UConn stands no reasonable chance of success in the AAC tournament.

There is no reasonable prospect that Kevin Ollie can achieve success in next season or beyond.

The program must be rebuilt starting with a new coach if UConn desires to remain nationally competitive and relevant in basketball.

Reaction Score
I agree they were a lot better. If you look at the shot clock we did not really get into our offense (whatever that is) below the top of the circle until there wasn’ t much time left - if we made it that far. Agree, it’s all academic at this point.

How is that different from any other game over the last 2 years though?

Reaction Score
I like Kwitin but come on. He had 3 fouls with 7:30 left in the first half.
Kwintin can jump but he is a terrible defender. He just isn't very quick.
We keep looking for answers on the bench but there are none.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I hate being irrelevant.
The announcers focus on the recruiting aspects of being in the AAC only, but they are not wrong. I would not pick Cincy to go very far in my bracket, because they are not adequately prepared by a tough conference schedule for the tournament. After battling in the BE and the tournament in MSG we used to be in full battle mode come the tournament. Cincy looked complacent last night - it wasn't even a hard practice for them. The other aspects of AAC, effects of travel on players, erosion of fanbase etc., have all been discussed ad nauseum

C

Chief00

So I made the right call spending time with my favorite 5th grader while she walked me through her Invention Convention entry that is due on 2/26 and she began work on 1/12?
I wouldn't have started until this upcoming weekend.

Hans, your time was well spent.

Chief Certified#

Reaction Score
Kind of need to blame yourself here if you thought Jalen was the main problem with the offense.
Well I knew we had no chance without him and maybe Ollie would realize without a dynamic player his hero ball wouldn’t work. It was more wishful thinking that Ollie would get smart and start running real offense. I guess I was still holding out hope that KO wasn’t that naive even though I think he is gone no matter what. KO just has no clue on how to run an offense that doesn’t have one guy breaking down the defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I knew we had no chance without him and maybe Ollie would realize without a dynamic player his hero ball wouldn’t work. It was more wishful thinking that Ollie would get smart and start running real offense. I guess I was still holding out hope that KO wasn’t that naive even though I think he is gone no matter what. KO just has no clue on how to run an offense that doesn’t have one guy breaking down the defense.

The whole culture of the program is "off". Teamwork and bball IQ should be building blocks, instead they are glaring weaknesses. With only 3 healthy guards on the roster (2 without JA) Vital and Anderson have to play 30 plus minutes no matter what they do on the court.

At this point, it is what it is, an odd assembly of players who don't really embrace the notion of teamwork as evidenced by our guards taking 33 shots last night and only getting 4 assists.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

The whole culture of the program is "off". Teamwork and bball IQ should be building blocks, instead they are glaring weaknesses. With only 3 healthy guards on the roster (2 without JA) Vital and Anderson have to play 30 plus minutes no matter what they do on the court.

At this point, it is what it is, an odd assembly of players who don't really embrace the notion of teamwork as evidenced by our guards taking 33 shots last night and only getting 4 assists.

True, but Blaze Recruits are on the way!

Reaction Score
Chief- thanks for using "I". It makes you so much more likable.

Reaction Score

I apologize, before the game I thought it was kind of amazing that I kept up with the Briefs despite 30 point blowouts but without Jalen we had problems getting the ball to halfcourt. Give Cronin credit for his press taking advantage of our vulnerability.

Ollie’s always looking for a reason to deep bench Williams - tonight it was an offsetting technical. Not a fan of that either but at least he fought.

Unbelievable how out of shape Cobb looks running the court. At this point in the season, how could he be so out of shape?

I hate being irrelevant.

I realize he's only a freshman but Cobb is in desperate need of an off season strength and conditioning program. Hopefully he can put some muscle on that big frame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom