Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alterique looks fine. I would say he is about the same as before the Wichita State game with the exception of his shot, which has been bad but assuming that's just rust at this point since he is taking a lot of shots so the confidence is certainly there.

His defense down the stretch was great, I would like to see him kick out to open guys on the wing more often for the open 3 than try and finish against the trees in the paint where he has been really bad but he's had that issue all season (same could honestly go for everyone on the team except for Jalen who is the only great finisher at the rim on the team).

There is nothing to gain by sitting him. It's would become a 6 month storyline about if he can finish a season and he needs the reps as the best player on the floor with the departure of Jalen to lay the foundation for 2019-20.

Reaction Score
The most shocking thing about todays game for me was finding out Cincinatti alsoo has a Mamidou Diarra. Just wild.
When I checked the Box Score I saw Diarra with 6 points, I thought good for him then it dawned on me it was a Cinncy player.
I did watch the complete 2nd half on my phone.
Good D got us back into it but lack of a dependable go to guy doomed the comeback.

C

Chief00

Alterique looks fine. I would say he is about the same as before the Wichita State game with the exception of his shot, which has been bad but assuming that's just rust at this point since he is taking a lot of shots so the confidence is certainly there.

His defense down the stretch was great, I would like to see him kick out to open guys on the wing more often for the open 3 than try and finish against the trees in the paint where he has been really bad but he's had that issue all season (same could honestly go for everyone on the team except for Jalen who is the only great finisher at the rim on the team).

There is nothing to gain by sitting him. It's would become a 6 month storyline about if he can finish a season and he needs the reps as the best player on the floor with the departure of Jalen to lay the foundation for 2019-20.

I like Gilbert and Chief watched him closely - there were several times in the game he was favoring or trying to protect his shoulder. He did not get up quickly from spills etc. Sorry, I just did not see that same player as before the injury.

C

Chief00

Is he just using the ongoing investigation as an excuse or is he really unhappy about how he was treated?

I am unable to attend this celebration with my family, former teammates and coaches because, as a former UConn men’s basketball assistant coach, there is a current NCAA investigation of the program under Coach Ollie’s tenure. As part of the ongoing investigation, I am unable to speak about the program, or the current state of affairs and definitely do not want to detract from the recognition and celebration which the 1999 National Championship Team deserves.

Please note that I have fully cooperated with the NCAA and the University of Connecticut during this investigation and I’m pleased to announce that I recently received a letter of clearance of any allegations of wrongdoing on my part. Thus I look forward to resuming my coaching career at the collegiate level very soon.

Ricky Moore won’t be at UConn’s 1999 title team celebration Sunday, citing ongoing NCAA investigation

Wasn’t KFree on that same staff? Not technically as a coach but he was interviewed due to his Basketball Operations role and his conduct would have been covered by the investigation. KFree not only was on Hurley’s Staff but was here as part of the 1999 weekend. Ricky, as stated, was cleared. He could easily have attended and talked about the 1999 team. Somebody is giving him poor advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gotta be honest I thought we played ok to well today. If this team had anything resembling a good rim protector and rebounder, I think we’d have won. They had what - 21 second chance points?

That’s the difference.

Like literally anyone who can do that and you flip the script in 4/5 games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He cannot even begin to defend. Any other positive contributions he makes are mitigated. If he can figure that out je could have a nice overseas career
Yeah but it’s not like Carlton is Emeka Okafor. Cobb doesn’t poop his pants when the ball is in his hands

Reaction Score
Loved the late three from Tyler Polley, but man, I don't think I've ever seen this stat line before:

32 minutes
6 points
0 ft
0 fta
0 rebounds
0 assists
0 blocks
0 steals
0 turnovers
0 fouls
I think that pretty much summarizes what Polley brings to the team. The occasional three and nothing else.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think that pretty much summarizes what Polley brings to the team. The occasional three and nothing else.
Every couple of games he’ll have a really good take to the rim and shows some abilities to finish...but like I said that’s every couple games

Reaction Score
Every couple of games he’ll have a really good take to the rim and shows some abilities to finish...but like I said that’s every couple games
True, but that isn't good enough for any top program.

Reaction Score
It was painful to watch. I don’t think he’s ready or else I would agree with you.
I'll defer to your knowledge over mine. what did you see that suggested he was having issues with the shoulder? he got knocked around a bit and took a spill at one point on what looked like a slippery floor.
but he didn't seem to hesitate on his drives late in the game.
'

Reaction Score
I like Gilbert and Chief watched him closely - there were several times in the game he was favoring or trying to protect his shoulder. He did not get up quickly from spills etc. Sorry, I just did not see that same player as before the injury.
Nor should you expect to. It takes time to play back into pre-injury form. If there is no structural damage, Gilbert should absolutely play. What are you saving him for? Next year when the same thing can easily happen again? This is a confidence thing and he needs to be out there to show himself he can play through it. His shoulder is repaired and him playing will prove to himself its stronger than before.

Reaction Score
Just returning from a period of sugical recovery, so missed some of this. Where is JA???

Reaction Score
Loved the late three from Tyler Polley, but man, I don't think I've ever seen this stat line before:

32 minutes
6 points
0 ft
0 fta
0 rebounds
0 assists
0 blocks
0 steals
0 turnovers
0 fouls
He's a three point shooter and that's it. He needs to perfect his three point shot and come off the bench next year and knock them at higher than a 42% clip.

Reaction Score
Re: playing Alterique.

Is he returning? Maybe he drives this "I'm playing" decision due to not being sure if this is his last season.

I remember a video clip of an incoming recruit who mention AG as if he might be moving on.
Of course he's returning and of course he should be playing.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah but it’s not like Carlton is Emeka Okafor. Cobb doesn’t poop his pants when the ball is in his hands

True, but Carlton was on the court during our 16-0 run where we briefly took the lead. He played great defense during that time; there's no chance we would've held Cincinnati scoreless there with Cobb in the game.

Reaction Score
True, but Carlton was on the court during our 16-0 run where we briefly took the lead. He played great defense during that time; there's no chance we would've held Cincinnati scoreless there with Cobb in the game.
Carlton was great in that stretch but the rest of the game he was awful, it's crazy how many layups he blows and how he can never gather and just go up for a dunk.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I thought better of saying he choked on his own vomit.

IIRC, it was somebody else's.

And I think I found an omission from my Greatest Movies list, based on the criteria that led to my choices.

Reaction Score
After Cobb scored his 8th point of the first half, Seth Greenberg waxed poetically about what a bright future he has with UConn and what he needs to do to be even better for them next year. I guess Greenberg didn't do a real lot of game prep for this one.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Carlton was great in that stretch but the rest of the game he was awful, it's crazy how many layups he blows and how he can never gather and just go up for a dunk.

Yeah he was bad. It's maddening how inconsistent he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom