Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Self-combustion. Very mysterious.
It was so sad. The staff was a little slow to react. Gilbert ran over at practice and said "Coach Jalen's on fire" and Hurley's response was "Yeah, Al he's been playing well lately." It took a moment or two to sort things out. Very sad and no one's fault really. You just don't expect players to spontaneously combust these days. That was more of a 1950's thing.

Thought's and prayers Jalen... and keep using the cream... it helps.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wasn’t KFree on that same staff? Not technically as a coach but he was interviewed due to his Badketball Operations role and his conduct would have been covered by the investigation. KFree not only was on Hurley’s Staff but was here as part of the 1999 weekend. Ricky, as stated, was cleared. He could easily have attended and talked about the 1999 team. Somebody is giving him poor advice.
You can surmise but you have no idea if someone was offering advise to RM. If he claims he decided to stay away due to the investigation, that's the reason. I respect and enjoy your insights into recruiting, etc. but there are some things that we all have very little or no knowledge involving the program. The ongoing investigation/legal proceedings and how it is now/could personally affect certain individuals is one of them.
Ricky's and KFree's positions and exposure to allegation potential involving any possible transgressions of rule infringement is vastly different based on their recruitment involvement alone. Their responsibilities were very polar in most cases.
Yes, on the surface, the NCAA cleared RM, however, as I remember, the wording and the fact that they did not specifically indicate that he was to be cleared of any further findings may have played into his decision.
If he did attend, what were the chances that not one reporter would have asked him a question about the ongoing investigation? He would be the only one in attendance that could be asked and I don't think he would be comfortable or wise to talk about it. A brushoff on his part could be inferred as guilt towards himself, KO and the program.
I am unhappy that Ricky did not attend - he played a huge part in the success of the team but I do respect his decision and the reasons he provided are suffice.
I hope he finds a coaching job in the very near future if that what he intends to pursue, he is a really nice guy and can offer so much to the players of any program.
Whatcha got in the recruitment front??
News on any BIGS?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to put Cobb in the doghouse earlier in the season really derailed us (in addition to many other things). Was it just that Hurley favored giving the younger guy more PT?

Simple: He SUCKS on defense!

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t know, I had so much going on today outside the lines. To me having the 1999 team together was my focus and a fun, competitive game.
One sad thing for Chief though was the absence of Ricky Moore. Much like KO his recent behavior is so self defeating. I know there was a real effort to get Ricky to come and it’s just too bad it did not happen. Ricky may not feel he was treated well, I understand that. However, he needs to get back in circulation

He should have come. Not coming is something he may always regret. He really made that Championship Game. That night, he was awesome. "He's got the feeling, folks." Jim Nance.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley was effusive in his praise of Al Gilbert during yesterday's post game. He is clearly viewing Al as the leader of this program going forward.

Reaction Score
I think the Calhoun interview during the game was telling. I’m paraphrasing, but he said something like, “UConn is going to be fine as soon as they get better players.” Expecting players to do what they really aren’t talented enough to do isn’t getting you snywhere

C

Chief00

He should have come. Not coming is something he may always regret. He really made that Championship Game. That night, he was awesome. "He's got the feeling, folks." Jim Nance.

I agree, based on the wording of his statement it’s clear Ricky got some tone deaf advice. Really sad to see Ricky and KO digging deeper holes for themselves - they both need to look forward not backwards in their lives.

Why go through all that trouble getting the headline statement from the NCAA that you are cleared, if you don’t act like you believe it yourself! If you act like you don’t actually believe it, why would a potential employer?

It’s really sad if someone is profiting off this malpractice.

#ChiefCertified

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
On Josh his #1 though for finishing should be to use the glass. If he used the backboard yesterday he would’ve had 6-8 more points.

Reaction Score
As long as we’re still talking about Josh’s performance after each game we’ll just reinforce the fact there is no talent. Josh would be an excellent guy to bring in off the bench on a good team. I’m hoping that next year’s front court has some men.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree, based on the wording of his statement it’s clear Ricky got some tone deaf advice. Really sad to see Ricky and KO digging deeper holes for themselves - they both need to look forward not backwards in their lives.

Why go through all that trouble getting the headline statement from the NCAA that you are cleared, if you don’t act like you believe it yourself! If you act like you don’t actually believe it, why would a potential employer?

It’s really sad if someone is profiting off this malpractice.

#ChiefCertified

How can someone with the amount of sway you carry within the UConn MBB community stand back and let this happen???

Reaction Score
As long as we’re still talking about Josh’s performance after each game we’ll just reinforce the fact there is no talent. Josh would be an excellent guy to bring in off the bench on a good team. I’m hoping that next year’s front court has some men.
Isn't Josh a sophomore? Curious what your credentials are in determining players potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom