Chief’s Briefs - CCSU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - CCSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Early on Central put up a good battle and we looked like a team that hadn’t practice in two weeks. Our help defense looked like it did early last year when we made all the wrong help gambles. We are better playing more straight up man defense.

The play that made a statement to Chief is when on a break, Bouknight penetrated but then dribbled back to the 3 line and hit a 3 point shot. That takes confidence in your shot and in another game/time is a dagger type play like Larry Bird would make.

Another bright spot was RJ Cole knocking down some outside shots and distributing the ball.

Jackson gives us that dunker on the break and a live body on the boards who can really elevate. Needs to work on his shot. While he made a good pass from the foul line tonight and another full court pass, he did not fully display what a great passer he can be. He is also an excellent defender.

Things will need to sort out at the center position. Sonago is a big body, who likes to set screens (haven’t seen that in years) and works on the boards. He is a little lost out on the perimeter defense and in Danny’s system will need to learn how not to get beat so easily off the dribble. Like Sonago’s strength with soft shot. A great combination.

Chief wasn’t impressed by UConn’s defense early, far too much reaching and crazy double teaming at half court that led to layups. That all resulted in foolish fouls in the first half, but the defense played less help and more personal ownership the second half.

Tyler Polley can shoot but his timing and movement seemed a little off. Hopefully, that will change soon and he did better as the game continued. We need his shooting and hopefully the guards will get him the ball with a good pass at the right time and spot. Good sign he had no brace on his knee.

It’s going to be tough for Josh to see time this year.

Adam’s is a guy who always finds a way to get playing time. Brown is going to keep improving. He is a tall dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Jackson gives us that dunker on the break and a live body on the boards who can really elevate. Needs to work on his shot. While he made a good pass from the foul line tonight and another full court pass, he did not fully display what a great passer he can be. He is also an excellent defender.
Give me the raw freshman with freakish athletics who's willing to pass the ball and play defense over the kid who just wants to dunk all day and play me-ball. The former is the right foundation to build into a star.

Reaction Score
Chief, from what I saw you should give Sanogo more credit than just being a big body. We have not had a big guy since Oriakhi who could:
- get off the floor that fast and then go right back up again
- grab every rebound near him
- consistently hit the baby jump hook
- play the low post with the awareness he did once he got comfortable

This young man is already better than Carlton. That to me was obvious. I think we saw glimpses of the best low post big man we have had in a decade, something we have sorely, sorely missed.

That in and of itself is very, VERY exciting!

8 points, 7 boards, 1 block (he actually deserves credit for at least 1 more) AND only 2 fouls in 17 minutes? Now that is the type of low post production we have longed for.

Reaction Score
Ty Polley was really good considering this is his first game back from an ACL tear. Ty is only going to get better.

AJacks impressed with energy, defense, and his vision/passing. The ball doesn't stick with him. Sanogo is super serious and effective already. Good signs from him.

The team plays best with Gaff as the point guard of the team.

PS: Richie Springs is last big man on the depth chart. Even Javonte is already better than him.

Reaction Score
Ty Polley was really good considering this is his first game back from an ACL tear. Ty is only going to get better.

AJacks impressed with energy, defense, and his vision/passing. The ball doesn't stick with him. Sanogo is super serious and effective already. Good signs from him.

PS: Richie Springs is last big man on the depth chart. Even Javonte is already better than him.
Never change

Reaction Score
Early on Central put up a good battle and we looked like a team that hadn’t practice in two weeks. Our help defense looked like it did early last year when we made all the wrong help gambles. We are better playing more straight up man defense.

The play that made a statement to Chief is when on a break, Bouknight penetrated but then dribbled back to the 3 line and hit a 3 point shot. That takes confidence in your shot and in another game/time is a dagger type play like Larry Bird would make.

Another bright spot was RJ Cole knocking down some outside shots and distributing the ball.

Things will need to sort out at the center position. Sonago is a big body, who likes to set screens (haven’t seen that in years) and works on the boards. He is a little lost out on the perimeter defense and in Danny’s system will need to learn how not to get beat so easily off the dribble. Like Sonago’s strength with soft shot. A great combination.

Chief wasn’t impressed by UConn’s defense early, far too much reaching and crazy double teaming at half court that led to layups. That all resulted in foolish fouls in the first half, but the defense played less help and more personal ownership the second half.

Tyler Polley can shoot but his timing and movement seemed a little off. Hopefully, that will change soon and he did better as the game continued. We need his shooting and hopefully the guards will get him the ball with a good pass at the right time and spot. Good sign he had no brace on his knee.

It’s going to be tough for Josh to see time this year.

Adam’s is a guy who always finds a way to get playing time. Brown is going to keep improving. He is a tall dude.
Sanogo has great hands, good feet, and a soft touch. UConn just hasn’t had a player like him in awhile, can’t wait to see him improve throughout the year.

Not surprised by AJ, still feel like it’ll take him a bit to feel comfortable. Once it clicks (maybe in January) look out. His length and size is noticeable, he put on some size this off-season. Hope he can stay locked in on defense and impact the game with his athleticism. Was impressed with his passing tho, he has good mechanics and snaps the ball when he passes it. Sky’s the limit for him.

Always feels good to hit the triple digit mark. Just great to have basketball back.

Reaction Score
He has no idea what to do because both our point guards are from New Jersey and so is our former point guard coach. His love for Polley is so real though.

Andrew Hurley is only a little Jersey. Probably lived there as a toddler. Might need to roll with him as starting PG if we want to not have a first half lapse like today on Friday. Best chance we've got

C

Chief00

Javonte is going to be a pro. Richie will find his niche. Most likely offensive rebounding.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Chief, from what I saw you should give Sanogo more credit than just being a big body. We have not had a big guy since Oriakhi who could:
- get off the floor that fast and then go right back up again
- grab every rebound near him
- consistently hit the baby jump hook
- play the low post with the awareness he did once he got comfortable

This young man is already better than Carlton. That to me was obvious. I think we saw glimpses of the best low post big man we have had in a decade, something we have sorely, sorely missed.

That in and of itself is very, VERY exciting!

8 points, 7 boards, 1 block (he actually deserves credit for at least 1 more) AND only 2 fouls in 17 minutes? Now that is the type of low post production we have longed for.
I said he was a “great combination” of strength and soft shot. I also gave his screening and rebounding credit. He is a stud. My only criticism was his perimeter defense and you would expect that from a freshman big guy.

Reaction Score
Loved Coles play in his first game in 2 years. We should be in good hands with Cole and/or Gaff running the offense all year. I think there was just one possession where a shot went up when the shot clock buzzer went off.

C

Chief00

Brown certainly is a tall dude, thanks chief.
That’s the kind of insight, you pay for with Chief. When Chief talks about the eye test, now you know what I mean. Given his age, some of our beloved casual fans need to be patient and let his body catch up with his recent growth spurt.

C

Chief00

Loved Coles play in his first game in 2 years. We should be in good hands with Cole and/or Gaff running the offense all year. I think there was just one possession where a shot went up when the shot clock buzzer went off.
I agree, both can shoot and distribute.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Great description- "Ball doesn't stick with him". Usually means other players love being on the court with him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A casual fan would get caught up in OP's inability to spell Sanogo's name correctly and focus on that error vice the observation of how the misspelled player actually performed.

The casual fan would be correct but end up missing the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom