Chief’s Briefs - CCSU Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - CCSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Early on Central put up a good battle and we looked like a team that hadn’t practice in two weeks. Our help defense looked like it did early last year when we made all the wrong help gambles. We are better playing more straight up man defense.

The play that made a statement to Chief is when on a break, Bouknight penetrated but then dribbled back to the 3 line and hit a 3 point shot. That takes confidence in your shot and in another game/time is a dagger type play like Larry Bird would make.

Another bright spot was RJ Cole knocking down some outside shots and distributing the ball.

Jackson gives us that dunker on the break and a live body on the boards who can really elevate. Needs to work on his shot. While he made a good pass from the foul line tonight and another full court pass, he did not fully display what a great passer he can be. He is also an excellent defender.

Things will need to sort out at the center position. Sonago is a big body, who likes to set screens (haven’t seen that in years) and works on the boards. He is a little lost out on the perimeter defense and in Danny’s system will need to learn how not to get beat so easily off the dribble. Like Sonago’s strength with soft shot. A great combination.

Chief wasn’t impressed by UConn’s defense early, far too much reaching and crazy double teaming at half court that led to layups. That all resulted in foolish fouls in the first half, but the defense played less help and more personal ownership the second half.

Tyler Polley can shoot but his timing and movement seemed a little off. Hopefully, that will change soon and he did better as the game continued. We need his shooting and hopefully the guards will get him the ball with a good pass at the right time and spot. Good sign he had no brace on his knee.

It’s going to be tough for Josh to see time this year.

Adam’s is a guy who always finds a way to get playing time. Brown is going to keep improving. He is a tall dude.
Like UConn, your first few statements were a bit rusty. Like UConn, once you settled in, you finished strong. Seriously though, there was a lot to like about last night. For one, it seems that every returning player put in the work over this long period and got better. Bouknight is the real deal. Everything about his game and the way he moves on the court screams next level. I really liked what I saw from Gaffney as well. Thought he looked much improved. Cole looked every bit the seasoned vet that I expected and is in a perfect role that fits both his skill and our needs. Polley's shot looked smooth. Whaley looked energized. Still think we will need more of Carlton as year goes on. B Adams' game looked really fluid and should help off the bench. Overall, just a really strong night where most guys needed time to shake off the rust. The two freshmen stood out and both seem to have very high ceilings. Loved what I saw from Sanogo on both ends. He has really soft hands, a strong motor on both ends, and disruptive on the boards. I am enamored by AJ and his game. His upside may be as high as Bouknights. I think it will take a few weeks for him to adjust to this level, but once he does watch out. My guess, is by Feb and March, we may be talking about AJ as 1b to Bouk's 1a. This kid will be a stud. Overall, it was a solid night. Nothing spectacular but a lot of positives to take from it. I am also sure there was enough on the tape for Coach to ride them hard today at practice.

Reaction Score
Andrew Hurley is only a little Jersey. Probably lived there as a toddler. Might need to roll with him as starting PG if we want to not have a first half lapse like today on Friday. Best chance we've got

Lived there until he was 10. I don‘t know... that’s still a lot of Jersey to overcome!

As for the game, they looked like a team that just took two weeks off. The coach was and continues to be mad and frustrated by the effort and just the situation in general, but it’s a start. They were lucky they were playing Central Connecticut. Quick turn around, so the focus will be on strenuously addressing that and just a little about Hartford and then keeping the schedule open until Vanderbilt. The week between NC State and St John’s is still up in the air.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Thanks @Chief00. Great job. One little point, any idea what the ref talked to Bouk about? Just curious?

C

Chief00

A casual fan would get caught up in OP's inability to spell Sanogo's name correctly and focus on that error vice the observation of how the misspelled player actually performed.

The casual fan would be correct but end up missing the lesson.
Very true. Tried to correct it but I guess my post is too old and can’t edit. Spelling was my worse subject. Penmanship my second worse and that translate to typos and autocorrects on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Thanks @Chief00. Great job. One little point, any idea what the ref talked to Bouk about? Just curious?
I saw that too but don’t know. Some Refs like to talk to stars, who are going to be in The League. If I were to talk to James this Thanksgiving morning I would tell the young man to be on a good path off the court and focus his energies for now on being the best basketball player he can be. I don’t know if Chief would have listen at 20 but I hope James does.

C

Chief00

Like UConn, your first few statements were a bit rusty. Like UConn, once you settled in, you finished strong. Seriously though, there was a lot to like about last night. For one, it seems that every returning player put in the work over this long period and got better. Bouknight is the real deal. Everything about his game and the way he moves on the court screams next level. I really liked what I saw from Gaffney as well. Thought he looked much improved. Cole looked every bit the seasoned vet that I expected and is in a perfect role that fits both his skill and our needs. Polley's shot looked smooth. Whaley looked energized. Still think we will need more of Carlton as year goes on. B Adams' game looked really fluid and should help off the bench. Overall, just a really strong night where most guys needed time to shake off the rust. The two freshmen stood out and both seem to have very high ceilings. Loved what I saw from Sanogo on both ends. He has really soft hands, a strong motor on both ends, and disruptive on the boards. I am enamored by AJ and his game. His upside may be as high as Bouknights. I think it will take a few weeks for him to adjust to this level, but once he does watch out. My guess, is by Feb and March, we may be talking about AJ as 1b to Bouk's 1a. This kid will be a stud. Overall, it was a solid night. Nothing spectacular but a lot of positives to take from it. I am also sure there was enough on the tape for Coach to ride them hard today at practice.
Generally agree with your observations. Gaffney is well thought of by the staff and displays improved athleticism recovered from his injury, which gave some well meaning casual fans the wrong impression. With AJ it’s all about improving his shot, he has the rest of the package and as I have said, he is an old school student of the game despite being a high flyer. With James, the only thing in the next dozen years that will keep him off the court is what he does off the court. No real on court concerns and I do like him as a person.

Reaction Score
Looked like he was telling Bouk he was grabbing the other guy's arm to slow him down which is always going to get called a foul. But didn't rewind it so was just from the initial full speed watch

C

Chief00

Loved Coles play in his first game in 2 years. We should be in good hands with Cole and/or Gaff running the offense all year. I think there was just one possession where a shot went up when the shot clock buzzer went off.
I think starting the two of them together is a message to everyone to share the ball. We are also telling our two incoming guard recruits that Jackson is playing a 3 next year assuming Boutnight leaves. However, I think Danny is in game winning mode now not recruiting.

Reaction Score
With the entire COVID dynamic as a backdrop.. And the limitations it puts on any BB Program.. I thought there were a lot of encouraging signs last night.. BTW..I think CCSU will do significantly better in their league this year than in years past.. UConn is simply at a different level..

Reaction Score
Lived there until he was 10. I don‘t know... that’s still a lot of Jersey to overcome!

As for the game, they looked like a team that just took two weeks off. The coach was and continues to be mad and frustrated by the effort and just the situation in general, but it’s a start. They were lucky they were playing Central Connecticut. Quick turn around, so the focus will be on strenuously addressing that and just a little about Hartford and then keeping the schedule open until Vanderbilt. The week between NC State and St John’s is still up in the air.

CCSU looked much more "together" and bought in than I expected having seen that team practice. But that's also a little easier to do when you're hype to play UConn. Really hope donyell can have success and make some noise in that league

I'm sure coach knows, but Hartford is a different beast. Not our level at all still. But disciplined and creative on offense with Xs and Os. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach G won't use any zones on principal though. Better to prepare for conference play. We'll see. They could be dangerous if 3 or 4 shooters get hot

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s the kind of insight, you pay for with Chief. When Chief talks about the eye test, now you know what I mean. Given his age, some of our beloved casual fans need to be patient and let his body catch up with his recent growth spurt.
That was CCSU. They look fairly decent for their level, but Big East they ain’t. What strikes me most about UConn is the quality of depth, versatility, speed and strength. When a three year mostly starter sees few minutes and a supposedly key player is unavailable, it’s pretty easy to be optimistic. We need a few games against better teams to get a clear picture. But getting the game back and just in time for a less than ideal Thanksgiving is totally welcomed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Glad they played zone as a lot of teams most likely will be playing zone

Reaction Score
IMO..Looks like our team BB IQ with our ballhandlers.. PG/SG/SF.. Is up substantially over previous years.. If you get open moving without the ball.. You will be found.. Insert TM in a small ball lineup..Even better..

Reaction Score
CCSU looked much more "together" and bought in than I expected having seen that team practice. But that's also a little easier to do when you're hype to play UConn. Really hope donyell can have success and make some noise in that league

I'm sure coach knows, but Hartford is a different beast. Not our level at all still. But disciplined and creative on offense with Xs and Os. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach G won't use any zones on principal though. Better to prepare for conference play. We'll see. They could be dangerous if 3 or 4 shooters get hot

Yeah, they feel they’ve got a pretty good scout for Hartford. They’re a fairly consistent team, and they only really lost Ellison (who was huge for them) from last season, so there was a lot to watch.

C

Chief00

IMO..Looks like our team BB IQ with our ballhandlers.. PG/SG/SF.. Is up substantially over previous years.. If you get open moving without the ball.. You will be found.. Insert TM in a small ball lineup..Even better..
Good point - Cole, Gaffney, AJ and Sanogo have that BB IQ you can’t teach by the time they get 18.

C

Chief00

Chief recognizes I was downplaying Sanogo’s upside in the widely popular Briefs OP. I have been talking him up all preseason and actually for 18 months. Chief loves his physicality and soft hands and touch for a guy that strong. Also, love a guy who enjoys setting bone crutching screens. One guy just collapsed last night after running into him.
The issue for Adama, if you are thinking of Center, is length and explosiveness in the jump for shot blocking. Under Jim, he would be the ideal power forward that would help lead the team to be #1 in the nation in rebounding. Hurley’s system is different - although both value his hard work, toughness and coachability.
It wouldn’t surprise Chief to see a lot of Akok and Sanogo together once Akok ramps up. I am more a rotation guy than a line-up guy because different points in the game call for different answers. Pre- Akok return, the most talented line-up for the casual fans might be:
Bouknight
Polley
Jackson
Sanogo
Cole
That lineup has 3 shooters always a preference for Chief.
However, for doing what is needed to actually win games, never count Gaffney or Adam’s out. They know the game, what the coach wants and what their teammates need.

C

Chief00

i really liked his game, even if he didn't exactly shoot the lights out. 7 rebounds!
Good point about the rebounds. Many Casual Fans today dismiss rebounding. Chief still thinks it’s critical when coupled with good defense which leds to miss shots. A good rebound and outlet can lead to a layup. A high % shot.
Offensive rebounds are like penalties or time consuming drives in football. They create points and they keep the other team’s offense off the court. They also are a deflator after playing great defense for over 20 seconds - to have to do that again.

Reaction Score
Chief recognizes I was downplaying Sanogo’s upside in the widely popular Briefs OP. I have been talking him up all preseason and actually for 18 months. Chief loves his physicality and soft hands and touch for a guy that strong. Also, love a guy who enjoys setting bone crutching screens. One guy just collapsed last night after running into him.
The issue for Adama, if you are thinking of Center, is length and explosiveness in the jump for shot blocking. Under Jim, he would be the ideal power forward that would help lead the team to be #1 in the nation in rebounding. Hurley’s system is different - although both value his hard work, toughness and coachability.
It wouldn’t surprise Chief to see a lot of Akok and Sanogo together once Akok ramps up. I am more a rotation guy than a line-up guy because different points in the game call for different answers. Pre- Akok return, the most talented line-up for the casual fans might be:
Bouknight
Polley
Jackson
Sanogo
Cole
That lineup has 3 shooters always a preference for Chief.
However, for doing what is needed to actually win games, never count Gaffney or Adam’s out. They know the game, what the coach wants and what their teammates need.
Nailed it..Not much to disagree with here

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just watched it.

Bouk has improved. His defense was much better and his rebounding. Kid is so fearless. I worry about all the contact he takes. The extra muscle seems to help.

Cole was very solid. Will be interesting to see him maintain that against better competition. Better looking outside shot than expected.

Gaffney is good but still learning and his D is meh. Don’t like him playing with Cole. Didn’t like the Bouk, Gaff, Cole lineups at all. The team was vastly better with Jackson or Adams, Bouk and one of the PGs.

Sanogo is just what we needed. Big, soft hands, sweet little baby hook, boards well. He already looks better than Whaley overall.

Whaley was ok, but he’s not enough with Polley at the 4 and Bouk at the 3. If he’s the 5 we need more rebounding and rim defense at the 3-4. Even against CCSU. Jackson showed impressive defense both outside and inside. As his shooting improves he will earn more time.

Adams was very solid. Played tough D, made clutch shots and moved the ball. Polley was ok. He hit some shots and didn’t do much else. Maybe he’s rusty, but he looked exactly like the Polley of the last three years. I expect him to lose that starting spot.

Reaction Score
Please for the love of God, Hartford... play man to man. I beg you
Apparently the staff wants them to learn the zone...which judging by this game is a good move. Better to learn now against the proverbial cupcakes.

Reaction Score
Just watched it.

Bouk has improved. His defense was much better and his rebounding. Kid is so fearless. I worry about all the contact he takes. The extra muscle seems to help.

Cole was very solid. Will be interesting to see him maintain that against better competition. Better looking outside shot than expected.

Gaffney is good but still learning and his D is meh. Don’t like him playing with Cole. Didn’t like the Bouk, Gaff, Cole lineups at all. The team was vastly better with Jackson or Adams, Bouk and one of the PGs.

Sanogo is just what we needed. Big, soft hands, sweet little baby hook, boards well. He already looks better than Whaley overall.

Whaley was ok, but he’s not enough with Polley at the 4 and Bouk at the 3. If he’s the 5 we need more rebounding and rim defense at the 3-4. Even against CCSU. Jackson showed impressive defense both outside and inside. As his shooting improves he will earn more time.

Adams was very solid. Played tough D, made clutch shots and moved the ball. Polley was ok. He hit some shots and didn’t do much else. Maybe he’s rusty, but he looked exactly like the Polley of the last three years. I expect him to lose that starting spot.

I think its a hyperbole to say Sanogo is already better than Whaley. I mean we have a great sample size of what Whaley can do against legit D1 competition from last season. Whaley has earned a lot more respect than that. Hurley even said on the post game how lost Sanogo was on defense. Whaley is one of the better defender on the team and elite when it comes to pick and roll defense.

Polley...is a wait and see. Obviously he is shaking of some rust, but he did have 7 rebounds last night. Not many games last year where he did that.

Reaction Score
What about our start ? We we're playing #335 kempom, and three quarters of the way through the first half, the score was tied 33-33.

Seem to remember more than one game last year, where at the start it looked like our opponent was playing on a different setting then we were. (with the exception of Vital). If we don't learn intensity right out of the gate, well be spotting a good team 10 or 15 before we get started.

Reaction Score
Sanogo plays the 5, Whaley plays the 4 - comparing them is not worthwhile.

Whaley has a 10-12 foot jump shot, Sanogo does not. Sanogo is a wide body who takes up lateral space in box out situations, Whaley does not. Whaley can move laterally with a stretch big who can drive, Sanogo repeatedly got burned when his man drove to the hole. Sanogo is more a post-up defender, Whaley is a face-up defender.

They play different roles and can easily co-exist. Their PT should not be a zero-sum game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom