Chief’s Briefs - Alabama Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Alabama Edition

Reaction Score
We are legit. Onto the Championship game. Two good defensive teams and UConn had two great offensive runs compared to one.

Our foul shooting was excellent a key ingredient to beating good teams. We shot 88% from the line, which contributed 21 points to the bottom-line.

While our ball movent wasn’t as good as last night, we still collected 18 assists to 10 and despite pressure defense we only had 12 turnovers compared to 21.

Adama had a breakout game under the bright lights with 25 points but in the spirit of a winning team Andre Jackson led the team in rebounding. Guys did what the team needed.

Jordan Hawkins also came up big with
16 points and Newton turned from scorer last game to the assist guy with 8. If Joey California can continue his double digits efforts, we are going to be tough to beat.

I am really proud of our guys taking a great big punch after having a big lead, but then regrouping and regaining the big lead. Shows a lot of resiliency and character. Also means we are very good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am really proud of our guys taking a great big punch after having a big lead, but then regrouping and regaining the big lead. Shows a lot of resiliency and character. Also means we are very good.
This. It’s been a while since we’ve had a team with so many weapons and so confident in their own abilities. let’s keep it going against Iowa State!

Reaction Score
This. It’s been a while since we’ve had a team with so many weapons and so confident in their own abilities. let’s keep it going against Iowa State!
Quiet confidence, we don’t seem to get rattled. For a team, who perhaps doesn’t have a PG leader we seem to have good assist and turnover numbers. We seem to know what we need to do.

Reaction Score
We are legit. Onto the Championship game. Two good defensive teams and UConn had two great offensive runs compared to one.

Our foul shooting was excellent a key ingredient to beating good teams. We shot 88% from the line, which contributed 21 points to the bottom-line.

While our ball movent wasn’t as good as last night, we still collected 18 assists to 10 and despite pressure defense we only had 12 turnovers compared to 21.

Adama had a breakout game under the bright lights with 25 points but in the spirit of a winning team Andre Jackson led the team in rebounding. Guys did what the team needed.

Jordan Hawkins also came up big with
16 points and Newton turned from scorer last game to the assist guy with 8. If Joey California can continue his double digits efforts, we are going to be tough to beat.

This is a truly legit team with loads of capabilities. Haven’t seen this in 10 years. As far as Adama goes, he put up points but cost us big time with some spurts of horrendous play. He has to get the ball kicked out and needs to stop taking 3s. Hurley needs to get Calcaterra on the floor with more minutes. The kid knows how to score and has a high BB IQ. I’d love see Clingin and Sonogo on the floor together for a few minutes. DC changes the game dynamic for the better. AJ hits the boards but seems lost not knowing how to fit in. He’s forcing a lot of bad shots.

Final thought. DH let things get away from him and keeping AJ at point while things were falling apart made zero sense. When things go bad you need to have a strong handler to calm things down and efficiently get into an O. Also getting pure shooters on the floor that can hit instead allowing things to devolve into playground wild shots is helpful. I still don’t think he has mastered in-game management at a level that won’t catch up with us in key games.

That said, you have to live what you see.

Reaction Score
Chief is unaware of Newton's assist numbers and Chief doesn't consider Newton a PG? One must question Chief's powers of observation.
To the contrary I said Newton had 8 assists in my opening post. I would view Newton as a combo guard or PG. But, my point is there have been arguments that Newton, AJax or Diarra is our point guard. I said “perhaps we don’t have that pg leader (as a Kemba or Shabazz) that’s not a criticism but our reality where various guys step up vs. different match-ups.

Reaction Score
This is a truly legit team with loads of capabilities. Haven’t seen this in 10 years. As far as Adama goes, he put up points but cost us big time with some spurts of horrendous play. He has to get the ball kicked out and needs to stop taking 3s. Hurley needs to get Calcaterra on the floor with more minutes. The kid knows how to score and has a high BB IQ. I’d love see Clingin and Sonogo on the floor together for a few minutes. DC changes the game dynamic for the better. AJ hits the boards but seems lost not knowing how to fit in. He’s forcing a lot of bad shots.

Final thought. DH let things get away from him and keeping AJ at point while things were falling apart made zero sense. When things go bad you need to have a strong handler to calm things down and efficiently get into an O. Also getting pure shooters on the floor that can hit instead allowing things to devolve into playground wild shots is helpful. I still don’t think he has mastered in-game management at a level that won’t catch up with us in key games.

I agree in regards to Joey C, thought he earned a few more minutes tonight.

Reaction Score

With Sanago able to go out to the 3 line on offense playing with Clingan can work. Also, Clingan would be great top of the key passing the ball to Sanogo.

Reaction Score
To the contrary I said Newton had 8 assists in my opening post. I would view Newton as a combo guard or PG. But, my point is there have been arguments that Newton, AJax or Diarra is our point guard. I said “perhaps we don’t have that pg leader (as a Kemba or Shabazz) that’s not a criticism but our reality where various guys step up vs. different match-ups.
I think it is obvious that Newton is our PG leader. He is just a quiet leader compared to past PGs including RJ Cole.

Reaction Score

Sanogo is shooting 54% from 3. Why would you want him to stop taking them?

Reaction Score

I get it. Adama needs to stop taking 3’s because he’s only 7-13 on the season

Reaction Score
It’s actually scary to see when they meld together and really play to their potential… they have everything… shooting, rebounding, and playmaking. They haven’t scratched the surface yet.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This squad plays like a junior NBA team. Everyone knows their role. Everyone seems to know from where on the floor they can score. The ball movement is outstanding. They run lots of action off the ball, which was something I harped on as missing last year. And they work so hard on defense that it takes the opponent completely off their game. Length and skill at every spot on the floor. And poise under pressure.

I’ll be shocked if they don’t end up as a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Big props to Hurley and the coaching staff. Everyone on the floor was recruited for a reason and they clearly know their roles. The depth is really there, which the debate prior should now be forgotten. Some of us, self included, needed a top 20 matchup to verify. But this team exceeded expectations. I again refer to the waves of pressure both offensively and defensively. They may have some collective off shooting nights moving forward but this team is top 10 and capable of beating anyone. This is going to be a good year of basketball. Hurley built a team of role players that I don’t know if he even knew how good they could be.

Reaction Score
Thoughts. Nate Oates is one of the best coaches and has a great staff and players. Even in a game where they had a flop fest and the refs were going crazy we controlled it and had tons of poise when it was close. The 2 runs to open leads were incredible, Clingan on one of them, Sanogo on the other. Clingan made that run happen. 44 is still affected on his offense he was better last year but he’ll be back.
‘Newton is a great leader out there getting the team what it needs even when not scoring. Anyone ever better at drawing fouls? I was thinking about that, he didn’t need a jump shot, just go to the line and collect his 2 points.
Hawk’s defense is 100% better and his handle IS improved. Alex and Joey, both smart players.
Any given night we have a lot of different players who can come up big if someone is having an off night. We’re not stuck in a box. Team defense is what will make us great and Hurley has obviously sold that to this group. Bama was pressuring us damn hard all night and we bent but didn’t crack.

Reaction Score
This squad plays like a junior NBA team. Everyone knows their role. Everyone seems to know from where on the floor they can score. The ball movement is outstanding. They run lots of action off the ball, which was something I harped on as missing last year. And they work so hard on defense that it takes the opponent completely off their game. Length and skill at every spot on the floor. And poise under pressure.

Love the enthusiasm, but I would feel much better about this team if Jackson was providing something on offense given how many minutes he plays. Even 6 or 8 points from him and some crisper passes would make this team virtually unstoppable.

Reaction Score

I agree, the self awareness of what each player needs to contribute is astounding. Of course, Danny would probably say it has taken a lot to get to that point and staying there is an every day struggle. But, as fans we see the result.

Reaction Score
Impressive game last right. Went out big and struggled a bit in the second half until we found ourselves. Sonoga again came up big with a three pointer when we needed it and a break away dunk by out running everyone to the bucket. Newton is our point guard right now and does a good job. Joey Cali needs more time. Kid did not get enough minutes last night. Jackson hit the glass well but he cannot right now hit the side of a barn. He will hopefully come around because he is a great athlete. Onto I -State. Best tournament performance in a long long time.

Reaction Score
BTW.. Thought AJax did a great job of making Miller work for his points.. Miller will be making a lot of money at the next level.. Dre stayed with him..Used his feet and not his hands.. Did a real nice job of taking away some of his favorite shots. Corner tip of an apparently wide open jumper for three was a spectacular recovery on his part..Elite D vs elite O..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom