Chief’s Briefs - Alabama Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Alabama Edition

Reaction Score
Love the enthusiasm, but I would feel much better about this team if Jackson was providing something on offense given how many minutes he plays. Even 6 or 8 points from him and some crisper passes would make this team virtually unstoppable.
I think it will take time to fully recover from surgery and get the rust out from missing practice. I am glad he contributing in other ways. We don’t need the points from Andre that we needed last year, what we need is winning plays -last night he led the team in rebounds and played intense defense. Miller, their stud player, went 5-15. I will take that and the impact that has on the over-all game. That’s huge and why Danny gave him so many minutes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We are legit. Onto the Championship game. Two good defensive teams and UConn had two great offensive runs compared to one.

Our foul shooting was excellent a key ingredient to beating good teams. We shot 88% from the line, which contributed 21 points to the bottom-line.

While our ball movent wasn’t as good as last night, we still collected 18 assists to 10 and despite pressure defense we only had 12 turnovers compared to 21.

Adama had a breakout game under the bright lights with 25 points but in the spirit of a winning team Andre Jackson led the team in rebounding. Guys did what the team needed.

Jordan Hawkins also came up big with
16 points and Newton turned from scorer last game to the assist guy with 8. If Joey California can continue his double digits efforts, we are going to be tough to beat.

I am really proud of our guys taking a great big punch after having a big lead, but then regrouping and regaining the big lead. Shows a lot of resiliency and character. Also means we are very good.
Maybe it is just me, but Hurley seems more calm this year. I mean from the start. Pacing the sideline, talking to players, yelling instructions without the animation. Bad call takes it in stride. I know we are kicking butt but he is has been settled down from the start.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is just me, but Hurley seems more calm this year. I mean from the start. Pacing the sideline, talking to players, yelling instructions without the animation. Bad call takes it in stride. I know we are kicking butt but he is has been settled down from the start.
I am glad he seems to have gotten the message. Not Danny’s fault but the Bouknight’s incident last year at Gampel put UConn in a very bad place with officials. When a spectator gets ejected from the bulilding it’s the home team’s security responsibility to remove them from the building. That epic failure worsen an already tenuous relationship, particularly with Big East officials. The refs have a game to worry about and should not have to concern themselves with an already ejected spectator. That’s insane.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has a much better team for starters.

Reaction Score
We are good, damn good in fact. The FT shooting was much better and obviously we weren't going to make 17 threes but but made them when it mattered. Essentially even on the boards with them, we did what we needed to do.

The on-ball defense was truly amazing. Those first 4 minutes were an absolute stalemate, as Alabama's defensive attention to detail started to fade, ours just improved. That 14-0 run in the 1st half was championship level.

This could be a very very very good season, but need to keep improving on defense and keep shooting at this clip. Need to keep these kids healthy, could be an amazing winter.

Reaction Score
We are good, damn good in fact. The FT shooting was much better and obviously we weren't going to make 17 threes but but made them when it mattered. Essentially even on the boards with them, we did what we needed to do.

The on-ball defense was truly amazing. Those first 4 minutes were an absolute stalemate, as Alabama's defensive attention to detail started to fade, ours just improved. That 14-0 run in the 1st half was championship level.

This could be a very very very good season, but need to keep improving on defense and keep shooting at this clip. Need to keep these kids healthy, could be an amazing winter.
I think ball movement will be key. When the ball sticks we don’t do as well. Even in last night’s game, the Bama comeback occurred when we overdribbled and passed and cut less.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Quiet confidence, we don’t seem to get rattled. For a team, who perhaps doesn’t have a PG leader we seem to have good assist and turnover numbers. We seem to know what we need to do.
I think Newton quietly is our pg leader

Reaction Score
He WAS 6-9. Now he's 7-13 because he settled for a 3 too many times last night and was 1-4
I think we are starting to see what 3 spots are best for Adama. Over-all I would say it is the top of the key. That’s a long distance but due to his strength he can still take it with a soft touch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The key to this team is the quality of the bench. You are battling against the starters, who are very good, and then you face the bench with little or no drop off. Can you imagine banging against Adama and being relieved as he walks off only to see 7‘2“ Clingan walk on? It has to take away your heart a little bit. What about chasing one of our guards around the perimeter and he walks off to be replaced with Joey California?

We have a lot of weapons in the guys on the bench have unique skills that, in their own way are better than the guys they were place. I’m not saying in totality, I’m just saying there’s different things you have to deal with and adjust to. It has to be a real bear to play against us

Reaction Score
He WAS 6-9. Now he's 7-13 because he settled for a 3 too many times last night and was 1-4
Yup. Shooting 3s is not his highest and best use. We have guys that do that much better over a statistically relevant sample .

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Newton quietly is our pg leader

And honestly, it's not that quiet if you're paying attention. The game started to turn early in the 2nd half when we were getting a ton of fouls called on us, and the lead we had quickly evaporated. Two or three possessions in a row, Newton had the ball and did that subtle little head move that Shabazz would always do and drew fouls on a few possessions in a row. He understood how the game was being called and instead of complaining that we were getting a bad whistle, he adjusted and took advantage himself.

Reaction Score
With Sanago able to go out to the 3 line on offense playing with Clingan can work. Also, Clingan would be great top of the key passing the ball to Sanogo.
Always thought them playing together for spurts or more was a good idea. Get DC on the floor and good things will happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This squad plays like a junior NBA team. Everyone knows their role. Everyone seems to know from where on the floor they can score. The ball movement is outstanding. They run lots of action off the ball, which was something I harped on as missing last year. And they work so hard on defense that it takes the opponent completely off their game. Length and skill at every spot on the floor. And poise under pressure.

I’ll be shocked if they don’t end up as a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament.

Great point. Knowing where you are a scorer on the floor.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Love the enthusiasm, but I would feel much better about this team if Jackson was providing something on offense given how many minutes he plays. Even 6 or 8 points from him and some crisper passes would make this team virtually unstoppable.
RE: Jackson: That may desirable, but it may not be necessary. If Jackson does his 'Jackson of all trades' thing with assists, rebounds, steals, blocks and just avoids forcing passes and shots he's a major contributor.

Reaction Score
He has really reduced his turnovers since his ECU days. I hope that body of work continues.
I think some folks underestimated how much players could improve under one of the best coaching staffs in the country. I'm talking returning players, transfers, and freshmen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And honestly, it's not that quiet if you're paying attention. The game started to turn early in the 2nd half when we were getting a ton of fouls called on us, and the lead we had quickly evaporated. Two or three possessions in a row, Newton had the ball and did that subtle little head move that Shabazz would always do and drew fouls on a few possessions in a row. He understood how the game was being called and instead of complaining that we were getting a bad whistle, he adjusted and took advantage himself.

Spot on with Newton understanding game flow and drawing fouls.

It was UConn 8 and Bama 4 and Newton twice in a row got a Bama defender to trip him up. A minute later it was 8 to 8 for fouls.

A PG has to have that understanding of refs and flow and adjust just like a smooth improviser at jazz.

Reaction Score
The key to this team is the quality of the bench. You are battling against the starters, who are very good, and then you face the bench with little or no drop off. Can you imagine banging against Adama and being relieved as he walks off only to see 7‘2“ Clingan walk on? It has to take away your heart a little bit. What about chasing one of our guards around the perimeter and he walks off to be replaced with Joey California?

We have a lot of weapons in the guys on the bench have unique skills that, in their own way are better than the guys they were place. I’m not saying in totality, I’m just saying there’s different things you have to deal with and adjust to. It has to be a real bear to play against us
Always good to take a minute and look at it from an opponent’s perspective. No rest for the weary when you not only have a capable player coming off the bench but one who adds another dimension, as does Clingan’s size adds. I can bet too that Miller wasn’t exactly thrilled when Jackson came off the bench and basically made everything difficult.
Newton might have gone 1-6 from the field but added 8 assists and was good at drawing fouls and making you pay (6-6 FT).

Reaction Score
RE: Jackson: That may desirable, but it may not be necessary. If Jackson does his 'Jackson of all trades' thing with assists, rebounds, steals, blocks and just avoids forcing passes and shots he's a major contributor.
I'm just saying if he's going to be playing say 28 minutes, something like 8 points would provide a bit of an X Factor as opposed to 4 points.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The two victories in Oregon are great and the team has shown it can handle a big lead and not fold. That is impressive in itself. I was a bit concerned because AS was not the usual AS and DH decided to change the line up when the team that produced that initial 15 point lead was still going strong. But AS showed why he is the NBE POY and the defense toughened up while Bama's D wilted.
One huge key to victory was DC's overall performance. The kid knows how to pass and keep the ball moving from the post so it doesn't get swallowed up. He shows zero lack of confidence playing against veteran big men.
Hawk's defense is so beautiful and Karaban is starting to come into his own.
Right now things look nothing but roses and it's wonderful - lets hope everyone stays healthy and the mojo keeps on keeping on. Next is ISU.

Reaction Score
To the contrary I said Newton had 8 assists in my opening post. I would view Newton as a combo guard or PG. But, my point is there have been arguments that Newton, AJax or Diarra is our point guard. I said “perhaps we don’t have that pg leader (as a Kemba or Shabazz) that’s not a criticism but our reality where various guys step up vs. different match-ups.
Chief has not been paying attention to our starting line up or Chief would notice that Newton is the obvious point guard of the starting group. And Chief is clever but the Newton numbers I was reffering to were his season stats where he leads the team in assists averaging 4.9. and the fact he leads the team in minutes per game as you would expect of your top PG. Chief's assertion that our team doesn't have a PG leader is clearly wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom