Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uconn haters are not going to like this either because you know how much coach Reeves loves Uconn players.

Cheryl is one of the best and most successful coaches in WNBA history--and part of that is because she drafted or traded for and coached Maya, Renee, Kalana, Asjha, Crystal, and Napheesa.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well deserved and about time that a WNBA coach will lead the national team and not a college coach...
They have. Van Chancellor in 2004, technically Anne Donovan. Geno was a step back to college coach, just as the men went to Coach K after using NBA coaches. The best is the best.

Dawn might be a college coach, but I don't think anyone can argue with her professional / Olympic chops. She took her turn and passed it on.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Perhaps Cheryl could step in when Geno retires...:rolleyes:
I never heard or thought about this before, but it is appealing even if unlikely.

The idea of a successful P-5 coach making a switch is unlikely, or I would be a little suspect as to why they would.

The idea of a successful mid-major moving up is risky, though it does work out at times.

The idea of a successful WNBA coach moving down may be unlikely or risky, but UConn may be the only suitable type of challenge left for Reeves if she is one to challenge herself, and I do not think she would be the risk that Donovan proved to be.

The pairing of UConn and Reeves should, at the least, maintain our ability to recruit. And following a legend should not be daunting to someone who is also a bit of a legend.

It’s always nice to dream.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Dawn hand the job over to a professional coach............I don't feel comfortable with college coaches whether it be Geno or Dawn in these kinds of positions whether it be 16U or the national team..........this should somewhat minimize questions about favoritism or recruiting relationships between coach and player.....

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There are a lot people happy Reeves got the job because she favors UConn players.
That is the last type of coach, for a USA team, that I want. No coach should favor any one school, be it UConn or any other school.

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome! Great call. Well deserved honor for Coach Reeve. Team USA is in great hands.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are a lot people happy Reeves got the job because she favors UConn players.
That is the last type of coach, for a USA team, that I want. No coach should favor any one school, be it UConn or any other school.
I think most are happy Reeve got the job because she's a really good coach. And do you think she favors UConn more than, say, a college coach favors her own college? Heck, Reeve has more Notre Dame players on her roster than UConn players, so I'm not sure you can say she's the "last type of coach" you'd want because of her favor for UConn players.

Plus, she's certainly not the only coach in the W who's publicly said she likes UConn players. Heck, Dawn Staley had four on her roster and the 3x3 team was 50% UConn before Lou got hurt. (Yes, I know that the coaches don't pick the teams, but they do need to be comfortable with the players they coach.)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I didnt say it, other posters said it.

The 3 x 3 team team had nothing to do with Reeves, why even mention it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think what Reeve said was she favors Uconn players as draft picks because they come in mature and ready for the pro game. In terms of veteran WNBA players I don't think she has a preference.

Great choice for USA basketball - I thought she was going to follow Geno and then hand off to Dawn, but it doesn't really matter.

As far as the benefit to college recruiting ... I think it is hogwash. All the NT coaches are high profile when they get hired, but anyone choosing to go to college because a college coach is the NT team coach is a bit crazy, by the time they are ready to be chosen that coach isn't likely to still be coach (Geno was the exception, but Stewart was making the team regardless and no other HS player who went to Uconn when he was the NT coach made the team when he was coaching.

[I do think the age limited team coaches may gain a bit of an edge from exposure to potential recruits, but you need good coaches for those teams so who else are you going to hire?]

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nah, her tendency to draft UConn players just shows that she has good taste and an eye for talent!

As BigBoote said, she seems to have a similar "preference" for Notre Dame players (at least at the point when they come out of college). That actually makes sense because UConn and ND play similar styles of basketball, at least on offense. Geno has noted this. They seem to pursue the same high school players fairly often. So if that is the kind of basketball that Reeve also favors (which it appears to be), then her attraction to UConn and ND players simply reflects a stylistic preference for a certain kind of basketball.

Reaction Score
i have to disagree. i think dawn gives up a great recruiting advantage in the future. i think many of her recruits wanted to develop a relationship with the national team coach. of course she will still be a part of the pipeline but not in direct control. i think its the coming of a new dawn in sc. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nah, her tendency to draft UConn players just shows that she has good taste and an eye for talent!

As BigBoote said, she seems to have a similar "preference" for Notre Dame players (at least at the point when they come out of college). That actually makes sense because UConn and ND play similar styles of basketball, at least on offense. Geno has noted this. They seem to pursue the same high school players fairly often. So if that is the kind of basketball that Reeve also favors (which it appears to be), then her attraction to UConn and ND players simply reflects a stylistic preference for a certain kind of basketball.
Some programs develop pro prospects better than others. Whatever her faults, Coach Stringer received compliments over the years from several coaches for her players being "pro ready" as well. All things considered, Rutgers has had a healthy number of folks play in the W. I suspect Pat Summitt also produced pro-ready folks.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to Cheryl and very well deserved. She has put in her time and shown she's an excellent coach in the WNBA.

I think this was a no-brainer. In fact, I thought Cheryl would have gotten it 4 years ago. Congrats to Cheryl, and nice job by Dawn following up Geno.
Agree on both fronts. When Dawn couldn't make games/tours, Coach Reeves and Dan Hughes were always there to keep the continuity going. Her knowledge of the WNBA talent pool, as both a coach and general manager, will come in extremely handy. The team has major tournaments just around the corner in '22 and then again in '24. Best of luck.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Maya has not played for a while. She’s not close to game shape.
Agree. IMHO, Maya may have moved on beyond basketball. Perhaps the sport was a way for her to get to where she is today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom